Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EURO QF - Italy vs Netherlands

This poll is based on the voting in the group polls. It's just for run so that we can vote on how we think EURO 2004 will go down and then of course, we can see how close we were.

Just so there's no confusion, this is how the teams were determined:

Group C

Italy - 68 votes (30 with Sweden, 20 with Denmark, 18 with Bulgaria)
Sweden - 37 votes - (30 with Italy, 6 with Denmark, 1 with Bulgaria)

This is why Italy gets the C1 position and Sweden gets C2.

Group D

Czech Republic - 61 votes (42 with Holland, 17 with Germany, 2 with Latvia)
Netherlands - 56 votes (42 with Czech, 13 with Germany, 1 with Latvia)

This is why Netherlands get D2 and Czech gets D1.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I'll go for the Dutch...I think they've got a bit more bottle than the eyeties, and in Ruud they have a world class striker....definitely a better prospect than the carthorse Italy have up front.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i didnt really expect many comments on possible matches. and ruud is no doubt a great striker but hed have to face nesta and canna and not those blokes you call defenders in england;-)

M

·
0 Posts
10 players in thier own box, with Inzaghi falling over at the other end, doesn't make a good footballing team, so I'll have to vote for the Dutch. If South Korea and those England rejects called Wales can beat Italy, so can Holland. :)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
:howler:
10 players in thier own box, with Inzaghi falling over at the other end, doesn't make a good footballing team, so I'll have to vote for the Dutch. If South Korea and those England rejects called Wales can beat Italy, so can Holland.
Assuming this was said with a straight face, I think there are many flaws in the argument put forward - as well as a whirligig of mild contradiction flying all over the place. Don't mind if I rant. Aside from resorting to stereotypes, I think it's interesting to note first of all that when Italy last played Wales, they beat them 4-0, in an imperious display of attacking football that silenced critics and gave a hint at the awesome potential of Italy's "carthorse" up front. British football and its commentators love nothing quite as much as their tired old clichés about Calcio as you have just now. And to mention Wales in the same sentence is even worse! It was that night in Milan that proved all these anglo-saxon clichés wrong - given that Italy scored FOUR hit the woodwork FOUR times, that TWICE Welsh rejects cleared off the line and that an exhausted Vieri also tripped over himself with an empty goal at his mercy, and that Inzaghi scored THREE - it is no exaggeration to say that the final score hardly did Italy justice. There is BAGS of potential in this squad. So it'd make more sense for you to criticize our coach than our players..The fact that you point out the two major upsets in the recent history as evidence that Holland can beat Italy is rather lame, dontcha think? And at the same time citing catenaccio, which is extinct now, as something that would work in favour of the Dutch is obviously hypocritical, because we all know what happened when Italy played them in this same tournament four years ago..;) The team today is obviously a new one, with a completely different style of play. If anything, this new style will probably work against Italy - it all depends on how Trap works it.

This would be an awesome fixture, if ever it took place. :)

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Mike said:
10 players in thier own box, with Inzaghi falling over at the other end, doesn't make a good footballing team, so I'll have to vote for the Dutch. If South Korea and those England rejects called Wales can beat Italy, so can Holland. :)
EXACTLY!

DUTCH all teh way. better team, better players, better coach. Thsi time luck cannot be on Italy's side 99 to 1 % ratio! :fero: :nasty: :fero:

HUP HOLLAND!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
2-1 Italy

Holland dont have better players... I only really reat Stam and VN highly from their current team!!!!

Of course it depends what Trap plays really also but considering he plays Pirlo... maresca... gattuso.... etc. then 2-1 Italy

Vieri
Van Nistelrooy
Totti

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
bono said:
EXACTLY!

DUTCH all teh way. better team, better players, better coach. Thsi time luck cannot be on Italy's side 99 to 1 % ratio! :fero: :nasty: :fero:

HUP HOLLAND!
Italy 1 Holland 0

Stam (owngoal)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Italy

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Well I think it's a given that Holland will have about 75% possession, and about 26 more shots than italy.

But the Italians will probably win in the end, somehow.. Like in Euro 2000 which was some of the ugliest soccer i've ever seen.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Kiyan said:
Well I think it's a given that Holland will have about 75% possession, and about 26 more shots than italy.

But the Italians will probably win in the end, somehow.. Like in Euro 2000 which was some of the ugliest soccer i've ever seen.
Maybe, but we played 75% of the match in 10 men

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im sure that the worst thing about it for you kiyan, is that hopeless feeling. its watching our opposition have a good deal of the possession but just not being able to break us down. thats what winners are made of kiyan, maybe one day your adopted nation will learn what it takes...or maybe theyll just keep losing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.