Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
When a guy scores important goals against the likes of City Shaktar Roma etc we have to take him.
Pasalic is a game changer and we need him. He impresses me in the way that he can score at any level against any kind of opposition.
This talent would shoot and score when we don't find the key against Portugal in 120 minutes.
I hope that Dalic thinks the same.

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
I posted in the news forum about Dalic's interview with SN but this appears the be the squad at the moment barring injuries/form. Players with asterisks next to their names aren't quite secure yet

• Livakovic, Kalinic*, Sluga*
  • Vrsaljko, Jedvaj, Lovren, Vida, Caleta-Car, 4th CB*, Barisic, Melnjak*
  • Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozovic, Badelj, Pasalic
  • Kramaric, Petkovic, Rebic, Perisic, Brekalo, Vlasic
*As long as Kalinic and Sluga play they will go to Euros. Kalinic right now is injured while Sluga is back to starting for Luton. The other candidates mentioned are Grbic (Loko) and Posavec (Hajduk)
* The fourth CB spot is wide open, with Peric out long term the candidates are Pongracic (Wolfsburg), Katic (Rangers), Benkovic (Bristol), Mitrovic (Brugge), Barac (Rapid Wien) and Skoric (Osijek). Melnjak appears to be the backup left-back but his spot is not so secure, however no alternatives were brought up.
After multiple tournaments of just missing out, Pasalic almost seems certain to make it. No mention of Budimir in the interview, Vlasic will be listed as a forward from now on, Orsic appears to be the last man out at forward

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It makes sense. Hard to take Budimir despite his goals in La Liga since he's not going to be able to give him a chance in the lead up games.

Pivarić is fit again and Bradarić is playing at Lille so it's a surprise he didn't mention them.

I think Pongračić is a real chance if he can get playing time at Wolfsburg. I think he said Katić would've come in for the last qualifier if he was fit so he's also a chance.

I wonder what listing Vlašić as a forward means? Hope it's not a sign that he's going to the bench...

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Orsic and Budimir are interesting players but I don't see either how they could be used.

If we don't have injuries we can go deep in the tournament.

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
Not sure how reliable it is but the sportnet forums are saying Petkovic has some off the field problems with drinking/smoking and he was actually benched the last game for Dinamo with Bjelica calling him out in the media to play better. Probably not entirely true but the guys form has dipped and he already wasn’t the best finisher, if he was he would have doubled his goal tally in qualifying alone

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
There has to be a reason why he's had a poor career to date. The talent is there and by his own admission he hasn't always taken football seriously.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There has to be a reason why he's had a poor career to date. The talent is there and by his own admission he hasn't always taken football seriously.

Going to Italy at 17 was a really dumb move by him. Petkovic technical ability is top class. He's really strong and good in the air. Lacks top pace and not a great finisher like HS said. Seems like he really improved his work rate under Bjelica but doesn't always bring it in HNL games. I remember in December when Dinamo played Hajduk Petkovic was toying with Hajduk should have scored though as he missed some great chances. Petkovic had a bad run in form for Dinamo last season as well then snapped out of it after he was benched. We need him in top form in Euro if we hope to go far again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Out of form Petkovic will be a massive blow. Hopefully he snaps out of it. If Kramaric starts it wouldn't be the end of the world but Petkovic suites our play style and leads the line much better.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm sure he'll be right for the Euros...bigger concern is what's going to happen once he leaves Dinamo, is he going to be able to get enough playing time to warrant a start in the NT?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm sure he'll be right for the Euros...bigger concern is what's going to happen once he leaves Dinamo, is he going to be able to get enough playing time to warrant a start in the NT?

Hopefully he moves to a relatively smaller club. I think there were rumors of a transfer to Shakhtar?

·
dinamo67
9,721 Posts
Petkovic came on for Dinamo in the 69th minute and judging from the highlights was the reason it ended up 4-0. Assisted the 2nd goal with some nice dribbling and cross. Assisted the 3rd goal with a nice header towards Orsic who lobbed the keeper. He also started the play for the third goal with some very nice dribbling in the middle of the field. Great impact.

For Orsic, I know he probably won't make the cut, but I think he would among our best finishers in the team if he did.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Aside from Vrsaljko, we don't have one option either at RB or RW for whom that is a preferred position.

Vida and Lovren remain the only truly tried and tested options at CB.

Up front it's either Petković or an unproven CF option; or forcing Krama.

Raketa can be replaced but it remains to be seen what Modrić will look like come next June.

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
Dalic did two interviews today with SN and index, pretty much the same stuff from both but in terms of players he did hint at the fact they are looking at Sosa, Moro, Majer and Ivanusec but because of the U21s playing qualifiers he didn't want to call them up. Moro is logical as he is a traditional DMC and playing regularly at Dynamo Moscow; Sosa started the last two games for Stuttgart but is playing as a wingback, probably similar attributes to Bradaric where he is offensively good but defensive needs improvement. Majer is having a good season so far but I don't see him making the Euro squad with the current midfield makeup (definitely post Euro 2021 though) while I haven't been impressed with Ivanusec when watching him

Also, Vida-Lovren isn't exactly the set pairing, he wanted to experiment with Uremovic-Caleta-Car in the last set of matches but couldn't because Uremovic was forced to play RB, seems high on Pongracic

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
I posted in the news forum about Dalic's interview with SN but this appears the be the squad at the moment barring injuries/form. Players with asterisks next to their names aren't quite secure yet

• Livakovic, Kalinic*, Sluga*
  • Vrsaljko, Jedvaj, Lovren, Vida, Caleta-Car, 4th CB*, Barisic, Melnjak*
  • Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozovic, Badelj, Pasalic
  • Kramaric, Petkovic, Rebic, Perisic, Brekalo, Vlasic
*As long as Kalinic and Sluga play they will go to Euros. Kalinic right now is injured while Sluga is back to starting for Luton. The other candidates mentioned are Grbic (Loko) and Posavec (Hajduk)
* The fourth CB spot is wide open, with Peric out long term the candidates are Pongracic (Wolfsburg), Katic (Rangers), Benkovic (Bristol), Mitrovic (Brugge), Barac (Rapid Wien) and Skoric (Osijek). Melnjak appears to be the backup left-back but his spot is not so secure, however no alternatives were brought up.
After multiple tournaments of just missing out, Pasalic almost seems certain to make it. No mention of Budimir in the interview, Vlasic will be listed as a forward from now on, Orsic appears to be the last man out at forward
Funny to read this as this was before the pandemic, a lot has changed

Dalic usually doesn't change the goalkeepers, the current three (Livakovic, Sluga, Grbic) will probably be the three chosen though Grbic probably won't play much or at all with Atleti, Kalinic if he doesn't get a move out of Villa in January has not shot while the other options are some HNL guys (Nevistic, Kahlina, Ivusic)

Lots of changes from defense; I am losing hope for Vrsaljko, Jedvaj isn't going to play much for Leverkusen so he will need to move in January, Vida looks finished, Melnjak is an ok depth player but not better than Bradaric; Dalic is high on Pongracic so if he is healthy he will be there, Vida will probably still make it as 4th choice CB but Gvardiol will be in the conversation. Some of the guys SN mentioned above are nowhere near the NT nowadays due to injury or lack of game time. Uremovic is the biggest winner post-lockdown

Midfield is the most set, with Rakitic retiring that pretty much guarantees Pasalic a spot, the first five are known (Modric, Vlasic, Brozovic, Kovacic, Pasalic), the last spot is down to Badelj, Rog, Basic and possibly some U21 guys like Ivanusec, Majer or Moro. Doubt Dalic goes for more than 6 CMs

Another big winner is Budimir who went from nowhere near the team to probably certainly making it, Orsic still probably the last man out if everyone is healthy. Petkovic isn't so certain as he was a year ago, he needs to get his act together, get healthy/fit and start taking things seriously. Luckily for him there isn't much competition for his spot

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Funny to read this as this was before the pandemic, a lot has changed

Dalic usually doesn't change the goalkeepers, the current three (Livakovic, Sluga, Grbic) will probably be the three chosen though Grbic probably won't play much or at all with Atleti, Kalinic if he doesn't get a move out of Villa in January has not shot while the other options are some HNL guys (Nevistic, Kahlina, Ivusic)

Lots of changes from defense; I am losing hope for Vrsaljko, Jedvaj isn't going to play much for Leverkusen so he will need to move in January, Vida looks finished, Melnjak is an ok depth player but not better than Bradaric; Dalic is high on Pongracic so if he is healthy he will be there, Vida will probably still make it as 4th choice CB but Gvardiol will be in the conversation. Some of the guys SN mentioned above are nowhere near the NT nowadays due to injury or lack of game time. Uremovic is the biggest winner post-lockdown

Midfield is the most set, with Rakitic retiring that pretty much guarantees Pasalic a spot, the first five are known (Modric, Vlasic, Brozovic, Kovacic, Pasalic), the last spot is down to Badelj, Rog, Basic and possibly some U21 guys like Ivanusec, Majer or Moro. Doubt Dalic goes for more than 6 CMs

Another big winner is Budimir who went from nowhere near the team to probably certainly making it, Orsic still probably the last man out if everyone is healthy. Petkovic isn't so certain as he was a year ago, he needs to get his act together, get healthy/fit and start taking things seriously. Luckily for him there isn't much competition for his spot
I agree with most of this though i doubt he takes any of the youngsters currently with U21 team. I am against taking players for the experience like was done with Coric a few years ago. Teams need to have a good camraderie and come together around a common cause. We don't need another Nikola Kalinic incident, leaving us a man short again. The fewer egos(probably why Marko Livaja never made it) the better.
If the Euro's were this past summer we would not have had the likes of Budimir, Bradaric, Uremoivic, Pongracic and Rog on that squad. But with the year delay it has changed things. The biggest potential blow will probably be the loss of Vrsaljko, if he is not available next summer. But he definitely would not have participated this past summer so there is that.
If Vrsaljko is not there(and no other injuries) , then my best guess for the Euro 2021 squad would be.
Grbic, Livakovic and Sluga
Uremovic, Pongracic, Vida, Lovren, Caleta-Car, Barisic and Bradaric
Modric, Brozovic, Rog, Pasalic, Kovacic, Badelj and Vlasic
Perisic, Brekalo and Rebic
Kramaric, Petkovic and Budimir

if Vrsaljko is healthy then be drops probably Rog or Badelj.
This is my best guess.

As i

·
Registered
542 Posts
Livakovic Grbic Sluga
Uremovic Pongracic Caleta Bradaric Juranovic Vida Lovren Barisic
Modric Brozovic Vlasic Kovacic Basic Pasalic
Brekalo Kramaric Perisic Petkovic Budimir Rebic

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I looked through the UEFA Euro website but could not find anything about squad sizes. Someone on some site said that as many as 30 players could be allowed to participate? if it was 30 players and i was picking the squad then i would pick these 30 guys(knowing that Marko Rog is out due to injuries). this would be my selections and not my like my previous post(where i tried to predict what Dalic would do ). I am bored at work today thus the list :)

Keppers - Grbic, Livakovic , Kalinic and Nevistic
CB - Uremovic, Pongracic, Vida, Lovren and Caleta-Car
Backs - Vrsaljko, Stefulj , Sosa and Juranovic
DM - Moro, Brozovic and Badelj
CM - Modric, Kovacic, Pasalic and Basic
AM - Majer, Krovinovic and Vlasic
Wings - Perisic, Brekalo, Orsic and Rebic
Strikers - Kramaric, Petkovic and Budimir

41 - 60 of 567 Posts