Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If Modric does in fact retire after the Euro, is it obvious that Rakitic wears the armband for us, at least for the next cycle?
He's the obvious choice. Apart from him I'd say Vida has as good a chance as anyone.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
He's the obvious choice. Apart from him I'd say Vida has as good a chance as anyone.

I’d prefer Perisic. He could suit up for the next 2 cycles for us. Has a good head on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Perišić will be 33 by the time the next WC rolls around and I think he's already showing signs of decline. On the captaincy, I don't think he's above the guys already mentioned in the pecking order. From memory, he may have been captain in a friendly (or taken the armband once or twice after a sub).

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I like his attitude. Nothing I hate more than players sticking around in the NT when they're past their prime or if they're not "in" 100%. I'd always prefer they go a tourney early than a tourney late.

Also, good point on taking things a game at a time. Sure, it's just a cliche but after the WC run we know they know what it takes and they won't be fazed by the draw or anything else. One part of me thinks we'd be crazy to believe in another "miracle" but the other part says why not?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Kovacic is world class at the moment even started to score and gives assists.

Livakovic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Barisic, Brozovic, Modric, Vlasic, Perisic, Kramaric, Petkovic

I hope we will line up this way.

Subs among: brekalo pasalic rebic kovacic rakitic

We got a strong squad.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kovacic is world class at the moment even started to score and gives assists.

Livakovic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Barisic, Brozovic, Modric, Vlasic, Perisic, Kramaric, Petkovic

I hope we will line up this way.

Subs among: brekalo pasalic rebic kovacic rakitic

We got a strong squad.
I'd probably go with Kovacic instead of Vlasic against stronger teams so we can control the midfield...or at least try to. Vlasic as a second half sub to score a banger in the 89th minute !

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
According to an interview with Scottish media, Dalic said that Katic would have been called up for the Slovakia game but he was injured

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Record at Euros and WC (matches against European opposition only)...since 1996...

---CROATIA---

28 played
16 wins (57.1%)
4 draws (14.3%)
8 losses (28.6%)

After 90 minutes:

13 wins (46.4%)
9 draws (32.2%)
6 losses (21.4%)

---CZECH REPUBLIC---

25 played
11 wins (44%)
2 draws (8%)
12 losses (48%)

After 90 minutes:

10 wins (40%)
5 draws (20%)
10 losses (40%)

---ENGLAND---

32 played
12 wins (37.5%)
6 draws (18.7%)
14 losses (43.8%)

After 90 minutes:

11 wins (34.4%)
12 draws (37.5%)
9 losses (28.1%)

---SERBIA---

9 played
2 wins (22.2%)
2 draws (22.2%)
5 losses (55.6%)

*no matches played beyond normal time.

---NORWAY---

5 played
1 win (20%)
2 draws (40%)
2 losses (40%)

---SCOTLAND---

4 played
1 win (25%)
2 draws (50%)
1 loss (25%)

------

Group games only:

CROATIA
17 P / W 58.9% / D 23.5% / L 17.6%

ENGLAND
21 P / W 42.8% / D 28.6% / L 28.6%

CZECH REPUBLIC
19 P / W 42.1% / D 10.5% / L 47.4%

SERBIA
7 P / W 28.6% / D 28.6% / L 42.8%

NORWAY
4 P / W 25% / D 50% / L 25%

SCOTLAND
4 P / W 25% / D 50% / L 25%

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
He shouldn’t be in the final 23 even if fit with Caleta-Car being back in the picture. The worry now is somebody like Skoric is probably closer than he ever should be

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, with Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Kovacic, and Vlasic spots all locked, who gets the last midfield spot? Or should Dalic go with two?

Badelj hasn't impressed at club level for some time now but has proven himself as a reliable squad option for the NT.
Rog started the season well for Cagliari, but he and his team haven't impressed in some months. Also, he's injured right now. Still, he's in better form than Badelj.
Pasalic is having a great season, but he usually plays in a more advanced role.
Krovinovic was non-existent in the first half of the season but has been one of the standout players in a Championship title-contender team in the last couple of months. Might come into the fold only when Rakitic and Modric retire.
Basic has one goal and one assist in his last two games for Bordeaux.
Sunjic plays a more defensive role and has been a regular for Birmingham.

I'd personally sacrifice a third CF option to pick both Badelj and Pasalic. But I'm not sure it would be proven necessary.

·
Registered
69,853 Posts
Don’t write off Filip Bradaric yet if he plays well in La Liga. While I don’t rate him, he probably has some credit with Dalic being on the WC squad

Badelj is probably the safest pick, reliable off the bench and a guy who seems to have the respect of the locker room and won’t cause problems if he doesn’t play

·
Registered
42 Posts
I totally forgot about Filip Bradaric and his move to Celta Vigo. Dalic certainly likes the guy, so it's possible.

As for the third choice GK spot, shouldn't Adrian Semper be considered for it? He has been Chievo's first choice throughout the season. Ok, it's a Serie B team, and they may not advance to Serie A (they're at 9th), but they have one of the best defenses of the tournament (4th). In contrast, Sluga's Lutton Town is struggling against relegation, and they have by far the worst defense of the Championship. I haven't watched either of them, though, aside from a couple of Sluga's howlers.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So, with Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Kovacic, and Vlasic spots all locked, who gets the last midfield spot? Or should Dalic go with two?

Badelj hasn't impressed at club level for some time now but has proven himself as a reliable squad option for the NT.
Rog started the season well for Cagliari, but he and his team haven't impressed in some months. Also, he's injured right now. Still, he's in better form than Badelj.
Pasalic is having a great season, but he usually plays in a more advanced role.
Krovinovic was non-existent in the first half of the season but has been one of the standout players in a Championship title-contender team in the last couple of months. Might come into the fold only when Rakitic and Modric retire.
Basic has one goal and one assist in his last two games for Bordeaux.
Sunjic plays a more defensive role and has been a regular for Birmingham.

I'd personally sacrifice a third CF option to pick both Badelj and Pasalic. But I'm not sure it would be proven necessary.
Let's say Dalić takes only the 2 strikers and he goes with 8 defenders that leaves 10 spots for midfielders...IMO we can break them up into two types...

4 CM/deep-lying playmakers/box-to-box...

*Modrić, Brozović, Rakitić, Kovačić

Badelj?, Rog?, (F.Bradarić?)

4 AM/wingers

*Perišić, Rebić, Vlašić, Brekalo

Pašalić?, Oršić?, (Pjaca?, Krovinović?)

Asterisked names are locks IMO...the guys in brackets are longshots...on balance we probably don't need another deep midfielder unless maybe Dalić plans on using Modrić more advanced...Rog is now mostly used as a deeper mid so don't know if he'd fit the bill as cover for any of the advanced mid/wide roles...Pašalić plays all over the place but I think his best role is AM...his versatility though is a plus...Oršić is a winger who can pinch up front...

I think we'll see Dalić stick with Badelj and Pašalić finally make a tournament squad...there's just too much depth in Rog's position for him to make it and although Oršić has been getting called up, with everyone available I see him missing.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I totally forgot about Filip Bradaric and his move to Celta Vigo. Dalic certainly likes the guy, so it's possible.

As for the third choice GK spot, shouldn't Adrian Semper be considered for it? He has been Chievo's first choice throughout the season. Ok, it's a Serie B team, and they may not advance to Serie A (they're at 9th), but they have one of the best defenses of the tournament (4th). In contrast, Sluga's Lutton Town is struggling against relegation, and they have by far the worst defense of the Championship. I haven't watched either of them, though, aside from a couple of Sluga's howlers.
Šemper would be my pick for 3rd GK

21 - 40 of 567 Posts