Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought a topic where we can exclusively discuss the potential squad would be a good idea.

Here's a list of all the players Dalić called up over the course of qualifying and the preceeding NL competition. Only players who made match-day squads are listed.

st. = starting XI appearances
sub. = substitute appearances
g. = goals

*Positions are nominal. For example, Jedvaj is listed at CB although he made all 8 of his appearances at full back.

GOALKEEPERS

Dominik Livaković (24, Dinamo) 7 st.
Lovre Kalinić (29, Aston Villa) 5 st.
Karlo Letica (22, SPAL)
Simon Sluga (26, Luton Town)

CENTRE BACKS

Domagoj Vida (30, Beşiktaş) 11 st.
Dejan Lovren (30, Liverpool) 9 st. 1 g.
Tin Jedvaj (24, Augsburg) 8 st. 2 g.
Duje Ćaleta-Car (23, Marseille) 2 st.
Matej Mitrović (26, Club Brugge) 1 st.
Dino Perić (25, Dinamo) 1 st.
Antonio Milić (25, Rayo Vallecano) 1 sub.
Mile Škorić (28, Osijek) 1 sub.
Filip Benković (22, Leicester City)

FULL BACKS

Borna Barišić (27, Rangers) 8 st. 1 g.
Šime Vrsaljko (27, Atletico Madrid) 3 st.
Karlo Bartolec (24, Copenhagen) 2 st.
Josip Pivarić (30, Dynamo Kyiv) 2 st.
Marin Leovac (31, Dinamo) 1 sub.
Josip Juranović (24, Hajduk)
Dario Melnjak (27, Rizespor)

CENTRAL AND DEFENSIVE MIDS

Luka Modrić (34, Real Madrid) 12 st. 2 g.
Marcelo Brozović (27, Inter Milan) 9 st.
Ivan Rakitić (31, Barcelona) 6 st. 1 sub.
Mateo Kovačić (25, Chelsea) 5 st. 2 sub.
Milan Badelj (30, Fiorentina) 5 sub.
Marko Rog (24, Cagliari) 2 sub.
Filip Bradarić (27, Hajduk)

WINGERS AND ATTACKING MIDS

Ivan Perišić (30, Bayern Munich) 12 st. 3 g.
Ante Rebić (26, AC Milan) 8 st. 2 sub. 1 g.
Nikola Vlašić (22, CSKA Mos.) 5 st. 3 sub. 3 g.
Josip Brekalo (21, Wolfsburg) 3 st. 7 sub.
Marko Pjaca (24, Juventus) 3 sub.
Mislav Oršić (26, Dinamo) 2 sub.
Mario Pašalić (24, Atalanta) 2 sub.
Alen Halilović (23, Heerenveen)
Mijo Caktaš (27, Hajduk)

FORWARDS

Bruno Petković (25, Dinamo) 6 st. 1 sub. 4 g.
Andrej Kramarić (28, Hoffenheim) 6 st. 3 g.
Ivan Santini (30, Jiangsu Suning) 1 st.
Marko Livaja (26, AEK Athens) 2 sub.
Duje Čop (29, Standard Liege)

----------------------

Players who may come under consideration:

Domagoj Bradarić (19, Lille) LB
Zvonimir Šarlija (23, CSKA Mos.) CB
Marin Pongračić (22, RB Salzburg) CB
Nikola Katić (23, Rangers) CB
Mateo Pavlović (29, Angers) CB
Ivan Šunjić (23, Birmingham) DM
Nikola Moro (21, Dinamo) CM
Toma Bašić (23, Bordeaux) CM
Josip Mišić (25, PAOK) M
Filip Krovinović (24, West Brom) M
Ante Budimir (28, Mallorca) CF

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If i was choosing this upcoming Squad for Euro's this is the 23 that i would take barring injuries

Weakest position on the the NT right now is goal tending. I would go with the youngsters and hope that Letica starts getting playing time somewhere. Because i sure don't see that happening for Lovre Kalinic and Simon Sluga anytime soon

Ivo Grbic
Dominik Livakovic
Karlo Letica

I think these are the only 2 backs worth taking
Sime Vrsaljko
Borna Barisic

I have taken 5 players here because Jedvaj can fill in at both back positions if need be.
Dejan Lovren
Tin Jedvaj
Domagoj Vida(he is the most limited CB listed here and tends to have the least control. Post Euro 2020, I would look at other options(Katic, Uremovic and Benkovic(if he can get on the field) )
Matej Mitrovic
Duje Caleta-Car

I think this will be Badelj's last hurrah for the NT. I have always liked his attitude though so i hope he can stick around longer.
Marcelo Brozovic
MIlan Badelj

I believe this will be Rakitic's and Modric's last tournament for the NT. I predict both will retire from the NT post Euro's
Ivan Rakitic
Luka Modric
Mario Pasalic
Mateo Kovacic
Marko Rog

Nikola Vlasic
Ivan Perisic
Josip Brekalo

Obviously Rebic needs more playing time.
Bruno Petkovic
Andrej Kramaric
Ante Rebic

I think this team is fortunate that Mandzukic retired from the and Nikola Kalinic was kicked off the team as this has let others get the playing time that they need to help the NT going into the tournament.

·
Registered
69,847 Posts
The way Dalic speaks last few months I doubt there are many surprises. The only new names I expect are the goalkeeper if Kalinic/Sluga don’t play for their clubs. I could see possibly Badelj not making it this time in favor of Pasalic/Rog though Badelj seems like a good character and a guy who doesn’t mind being a backup so that will help him somewhat

Bradaric should definitely be ahead of Melnjak in the depth chart regardless of his form at Lille. The only outsider which has a shot is probably Budimir if he consistently scores in La Liga. I wasn’t overly impressed with Moro in the CL and Euro 2020 is probably too early for him and the other Dinamo youngsters

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bartolec, Melnjak, and Skoric are liabilities at a very high level.

·
Registered
22,710 Posts
Am glad to see Lovren back as a starter for Liverpool. Rakitic as well.

Kova is becoming a vital part of Lampard's Chelsea.

Any word on friendlies coming up? I had heard at one point some rumours of coming to Canada or the US but I guess that's dead?

Can't wait for that first game vs England at Wembley...the world will be watching us again. And I don't care how much the english hype their players, with Luka pulling the strings in the middle of the park, we will control the tempo and shock wembley (again).

·
Registered
69,847 Posts
Bartolec, Melnjak, and Skoric are liabilities at a very high level.
Agree with all three, all you need to know about Skoric is he was the “fourth choice” CB the entire qualifying but when Dalic needed to go that deep he brought back Caleta-Car and gave a debutant a start (Peric). I feel Skoric getting called up was simply a favor to Osijek who was bitching a few years back how they have no NT players (they even went as far as releasing a statement on their site about it! :rolleyes: ) and a chance to raise Skoric’s value so he could finally get out the HNL

Bartolec is a serviceable backup at this point as I don’t like Jedvaj playing right back. Problem is there are very few options outside of Juranovic in the HNL, while he looked decent against Georgia he's also not at the level required. This is the season why Dalic did the stupid Rog experiment in Spain and the Brekalo one against Azerbaijan which he could get away with at least

As for left back a lot of Dinamo fans on sportnet were crying when Leovac wasn't called up for most of the qualifiers but the guy was a disaster in that Hungary game in Budapest

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't know if we ever had such depth all over the pitch. Some unexpected players broke through.

Livakovic
Don't know
Don't know

Vrsaljko Vida Lovren Barisic
Jedvaj Caleta-Car Bradaric

Modric Brozovic Vlasic
Kovacic Rakitic Pasalic Rog

Kramaric Petkovic Perisic
Brekalo Budimir Rebic

Sunjic and Moro will probably get there as soon as Modric and Rakitic retire.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As I see it, we can pencil in these names:

Livaković GK
-------
Lovren CB
Vida CB
Ćaleta-Car CB
Jedvaj CB/RB
Vrsaljko RB
Barišić LB
-----
Modrić CM/AM
Rakitić CM
Brozović CM
Kovačić CM
Vlašić AM
Perišić W
Brekalo W
Rebić W
-----
Petković F
Kramarić F
-----

* The two reserve GKs aren't as much of an issue now that Livaković is cemented as our #1.

*Left back is thin. Pivarić isn't playing at the moment (injury?) but if he does get back I think he'll be selected. Bradarić is an outside chance.

*Right back is all about Vrsaljko's recovery and if he manages to get enough playing time leading up to the Euros. If he doesn't Bartolec is a lock and Jedvaj will be the starter in that position.

*At centre back we're relatively well covered. If he goes for a 5th option it will surely be either Perić or Mitrović.

*In midfield we've really got every position covered. I think usually only one more mid would be taken but because of our lack of genuine strikers we'll see at least 2 more. I think Badelj and Pašalić are the obvious frontrunners. Rog has been playing regularly for the first time in 2-3 seasons so hard to argue against his inclusion also. Then we have Oršić who has worked his way in. Wild card could be Pjaca if he can get things going in the new year.

*Up front the only possible outsider is Budimir. Another goal over night strengthens his case. If there were games in the next month I'm almost certain he'd get a call up.

1.Livaković, 2.Kalinić?, 3.Sluga? - 4.Lovren, 5.Vida, 6.Ćaleta-Car, 7.Perić, 8.Jedvaj, 9.Vrsaljko, 10.Barišić, 11.Pivarić - 12.Modrić, 13.Brozović, 14.Rakitić, 15.Kovačić, 16.Badelj, 17.Vlašić, 18.Brekalo, 19.Pašalić, 20.Rebić, 21.Perišić - 22.Petković, 23.Kramarić.

24.Mitrović, 25.Bartolec, 26.Melnjak, 27.D.Bradarić - 28.Rog, 29.Oršić, 30.Pjaca - 31.Budimir.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who watch Dinamo regularly, does Oršić ever play up front? In the CL, Petković plays as the CF but I seem to recall seeing Bjelica use a different formation with Oršić as a striker..?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn’t overly impressed with Moro in the CL and Euro 2020 is probably too early for him and the other Dinamo youngsters
In previous times I don't think that would matter much, the "next big thing" from Dinamo would get a look in one way or another. However, with the depth we have in midfield at the moment he's got little hope.

An interesting one is Palaversa, I see he's back in Oostende's starting XI. Not sure how well he's playing but early in the season he was apparently doing very well. No chance to make the squad, I know.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too early to tell. Let's wait until he at least breaks into Dinamo's first XI.

·
dinamo67
9,718 Posts
For those who watch Dinamo regularly, does Oršić ever play up front? In the CL, Petković plays as the CF but I seem to recall seeing Bjelica use a different formation with Oršić as a striker..?
He's played 99% of games on the left. According to transfermarkt he played aside Petkovic up front in two of our CL games.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In total, Dalić used 32 players over these 12 matches (23 in the starting XI with 9 making only substitute appearances).

Key points from the 12 matches:

- Livaković claimed a starting role after Kalinić's indifferent form in the NL and the qual. defeat away to Hungary.

- Barišić cemented his position as starting LB.

- Jedvaj will be our RB if Vrsaljko remains sidelined.

- Our CB pairing from the WC of Lovren-Vida is still our best option. No one else has come close to challenging for one of the CB spots.

- Brozović and Modrić guaranteed starters in midfield; remains to be seen how Dalić handles the situation with Rakitić. On form Vlašić definitely deserves to start. Kovačić will go into yet another tournament as a reserve.

- Perišić is sure to be on the left but the right wing is up for grabs. Rebić hasn't impressed and his club situation isn't promising. Kramarić is back playing and is an option Dalić has used consistently in the past. Don't think Brekalo will start.

- Up front, experiments with Santini and Rebić failed. Petković should be the starter.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe this will be Rakitic's and Modric's last tournament for the NT.
Modrić will be 35 a few weeks after the Euros and it would make sense for him to pull the pin. Rakitić is 2-3 years younger and could go on, however, his decision could be based upon his status at the Euros. If he loses his starting spot then I definitely see him retiring. Would be ideal if one of them stuck around for the WC, preferably the younger Raketa.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
If Modric does in fact retire after the Euro, is it obvious that Rakitic wears the armband for us, at least for the next cycle?

·
Registered
22,710 Posts
If Modric does in fact retire after the Euro, is it obvious that Rakitic wears the armband for us, at least for the next cycle?
no way. He's missed way too many games for us. Only when it suits him does he show up. I'd personally even not select him anymore...and I actually love him a a player and all he's done for us including the heart stopping penalty winners at the WC.

I don't know who else to give it too...Lovren? Perisic?

1 - 20 of 550 Posts