Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
When was the last time Italy scored three goals in one half against a team better than the likes of San Marino? :)

Reactions: ToniSamp
Belotti definitely needs to start for now. Best we have overall and for this team. 4 of 4 so far. Looking good.

The work Mancini has done on this team is highly credible. He has integrated pretty much all the deserving youngsters and veterans while being a firm leader with Moises and Zaniolo. I like the probable line-up for today though seeing Sensi in midfield would have been nice too.

Sensi our best player tonight, either i was blind and deaf last season or he has stepped his level considerably this season.

If he carries on like the start to this season, he will cause huge 'problems' to both Inter and Italy, he should only be a squad player but he has to be in the starting 11 when he's being playing so well, its on the 'bigger' names to earn their spot. I sure hope he keeps this level up.

I must say that it's nice to see 6 consecutive wins and a coach from the more ruthless school of being capable to grind wins out when needed. No, the opponents are not all the most difficult, but if you compare this to the recent days of us not able to even score let alone win, then one must credit the coach and his staff for the integration of fresh players and other work accomplished, Mancini is renewing hope.

Sensi our best player tonight, either i was blind and deaf last season or he has stepped his level considerably this season.

If he carries on like the start to this season, he will cause huge 'problems' to both Inter and Italy, he should only be a squad player but he has to be in the starting 11 when he's being playing so well, its on the 'bigger' names to earn their spot. I sure hope he keeps this level up.
2nd half....Sensi has lost 6/7 balls and has caused the penalty that Finland equalised from :D
Classic :D

So far I think Mancini has done a very credible job for Italy. This doesnt mean much if we go to Euro 2020 and crash out in the group stage, but on the whole it has to be said he has done what he can. He has called up players mostly based on merit, many young players have had opportunities to at least be in the Italy training squad and he has started to build a team for the future as well as the present. He has also tried swapping between formations, but not too much to detriment a solid structure being formed within the squad.

For now the 'certainties' of Italy going to Euro 2020 (which we should qualify for)

GK: Donnarumma, Sirigu
DF: Florenzi, Bonucci, Chiellini (if fit), Emerson, Romagnoli
MF: Verratti, Jorginho, Sensi, Barella, Lo. Pellegrini
FW: Bernardeschi, Chiesa, Insigne, Belotti

That for me rightly or wrongly is the core group that will be there if all fit in Euro 2020. Leaving about 7 spots to be filled by what is quite a huge pool of decent players.

I would like to see Orsolini and Castrovilli get a chance. IMO I think Orsolini can do more for Italy than Berna and Chiesa at present. I have included both in the certainty team, but they need to improve alot if Italy are to do anything in the future. Right now their end product not only for Italy, but for their club teams is not good enough. I do still hold alot of hope for Chiesa though, but he needs to reach the next level.

3rd choice GK will not really matter but we have a decent pool competing for that spot. Cragno unfortunately injured, but Meret and Gollini will be aiming for that spot. The last CB spot is likely to go to Mancini, but Acerbi has been playing well and did a good job for Italy in the qualifier v Finland. Izzo also a possibility. Several full-backs competing for the back up places. De Sciglio (hope not), Di Lorenzo, Lazzari, Piccini at RB and Pellegrini, Spinazzola and Biraghi at LB.

In midfield that last spot will be tough to grab, but I believe it will be between Cristante, Tonali and Castrovilli (if his season continues)... Tonali for me will get it, but I have been impressed by Cristante at Roma recently. Tonali is just an absolute talent though and must go. Its a credit to how strong that Italy midfield is right now.

In attack 2 spots, 1 for a wide/attacking wing player and the other for a striker. Zaniolo probably comes in the first category and will be competing even if more of a midfielder, but a huge favourite over Politano, El Shawaary, Berardi and Orsolini. The last striker, well we fall a bit short here. On club record Immobile will possible go, but Kean, Lasagna (please no) among those competing. Of all them I rather hope we get a breakthrough striker or Kean improves at Everton to what hes shown so far otherwise its all eggs on Belotti and I would maybe even rather bring Berardi as a false 9.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Good post, Deano. Mancini is finally a good CT. After Conte left we had a guy who was just arrogant but a mediocre coach. That said, all our opponents in the qualifiers are pretty bad, so I would wait for some real competition before glorifying Mancini. Good yes, a winner we will see.

Yes, altrhough Greece was quite poor - if difficult to break through - so we will know much more about the team's potential come the opening game of euro2020 which we will play in the Olimpico next June.

At the momnent I envisage a finish between fourth and eighth place, but things might change a bit over the next 8 months.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.