Xtratime Community banner
241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
What dont you like? The criticism I always hear is that he doesn't go forward often and sometimes takes unnecessary fouls. But he keeps that midfield shape well. Is almoat impossible to get the ball away from. Is adept at defensive duties. Both Belgium and Spain's goals came when he went off. In Spain's case there was a clear path down the middle where he usually occupies space. For Belgium, his sub left the goal scorer room to get a head on that ball.

Verratti is never going to be an offensive weapon, but that midfield is nice and tight with him in it, gives Barella the opportunity to go forward.

He also picked up 3 assists. That's up there in this tournament. Just a few things to balance out the criticism

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Winning the euro has lifted spirits after such a difficult year and a half, it's hard to put into words, but this last week, I have been soaring in the clouds, I feel so much joy and affection for the coach and players and those videos really bring it home, thanks to all!

·
Registered
9,860 Posts

·
Registered
47,179 Posts
What dont you like? The criticism I always hear is that he doesn't go forward often and sometimes takes unnecessary fouls. But he keeps that midfield shape well. Is almoat impossible to get the ball away from. Is adept at defensive duties. Both Belgium and Spain's goals came when he went off. In Spain's case there was a clear path down the middle where he usually occupies space. For Belgium, his sub left the goal scorer room to get a head on that ball.
We've discussed it before...the lack of verticality, not combining so well with others. You look at the others...Barella, Jorginho, etc. always looking for the ball and for the quick interplay and triangles with others. Verratti's fine but I think the combinations we get with the others really threaten to RIP open the other team. I'd really like to see Pellegrini in the set-up.

·
Registered
34,534 Posts

·
Registered
47,179 Posts
Winning the euro has lifted spirits after such a difficult year and a half, it's hard to put into words, but this last week, I have been soaring in the clouds, I feel so much joy and affection for the coach and players and those videos really bring it home, thanks to all!
That's what it's all about. Super happy for you, man. Great moments.

·
Registered
47,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
We've discussed it before...the lack of verticality, not combining so well with others. You look at the others...Barella, Jorginho, etc. always looking for the ball and for the quick interplay and triangles with others. Verratti's fine but I think the combinations we get with the others really threaten to RIP open the other team. I'd really like to see Pellegrini in the set-up.
I think he gets vertical when appropriate, and it's more often than he gets credit for IMO.

He's really just a deep player and stops and reverses a lot of attacks.

He's a much much better Gattuso that can keep the ball really well.

In the game vs Austria it was him, Spina and Insigne that triangle passed out of danger. The right side was affected worse from Austria's pressing. Vs Belgium, he and Jorginho shut down KDB the whole game save for one shot outside the 18. He got an assist from pressing high and stealing the ball on the Barella goal, an assist on Leo's goal in the final and put the ball in for Pessina's goal as well. The criticism that he never gets forward isn't accurate. He doesn't as much as say someone like Locatelli, but his defensive contributions far outweigh this. He's not an offensive weapon, unless you consider someone who keeps the midfield shape and ball and can recover balls better than anyone else an offensive weapon. We need to look at him from a different lense. Too many people wanted a Totti like contributor. He's not that.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
24,784 Posts
No one is claiming that Verratti is a bad player or that Locatelli is better. What we are saying is that he's not as well suited to Italy's tactics, at least not in the position he occupied in this tournament.

He has a tendency to slow down play and do a bit of twisting and turning without gaining any ground. This allows the opposition to get some rest and find the proper defensive formation. Italy at their best in this tournament were constantly piling on the pressure, making runs and looking for the ball forward. With Verratti it's a different story.

With both him and Insigne being static ball hogs Italy's attacking threat gets lost to a large degree. It worked better with Insigne being the static ball hog and Spinazzola and Locatelli creating the movement around him. With Verratti on the pitch it was all up to Spinazzola (or Emerson) to create the movement for both Verratti and Insigne.

In the one game that Italy had problem with playing out of defense Verratti didn't have much possession either, so it's not as if he's some kind of magician that's far superior than the rest at handling the opposition's pressing game.

Can Verratti adjust his style and play more direct, perhaps? But if not I feel that Italy as a team will benefit from playing someone that releases the ball more quickly in that position.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Did I read in the article "increasing the width of the goal" as a solution in order to avoid penalties? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Not to mention:

“I would also suggest that, having found their way to a final (or final replay), having exhausted its scheduled time, plus stoppage and extra time, both teams and their supporters could – rather than go through a penalty shootout – accept that the final final result is that both teams are worthy of celebration as the competition’s best. They could then shake hands and share the title as the year’s joint winners (again there may be precedents in other sports).”

Two teams settling for a draw from the beginning and they will get the trophy both of them. Great idea!

These Englishmen are truly unique.

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
24,784 Posts
Not to mention:

“I would also suggest that, having found their way to a final (or final replay), having exhausted its scheduled time, plus stoppage and extra time, both teams and their supporters could – rather than go through a penalty shootout – accept that the final final result is that both teams are worthy of celebration as the competition’s best. They could then shake hands and share the title as the year’s joint winners (again there may be precedents in other sports).”

Two teams settling for a draw from the beginning and they will get the trophy both of them. Great idea!

These Englishmen are truly unique.
What if one (or both) of the semifinals ends in a draw, should there be a three (or four) team final? How would this work? I'm truly intrigued. Perhaps a combined eleven with the best players from the teams in question.

An Italy/Spain combo vs an England/Denmark combo in the final.

I'm open minded, sounds like an interesting concept.

Come to think of it extra time isn't fair either IMHO. Sweden deserves a do over. 🤔

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,600 Posts

·
Registered
60,812 Posts
More butthurt England articles. This time from the Guardian:

Abolish penalties lol
y'all know I have a master degree in Theory of Gay Ballet Dance. so my suggestion is, in case of a draw after xtratime, they should do a Gay Ballet Dance competition, that's the fairest of all things and would also please the audience. they can use a VAR as jury who gives points for the performances, using algoritms installed by Gay Ballet Dance Theorists such as myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No one is claiming that Verratti is a bad player or that Locatelli is better. What we are saying is that he's not as well suited to Italy's tactics, at least not in the position he occupied in this tournament.

He has a tendency to slow down play and do a bit of twisting and turning without gaining any ground. This allows the opposition to get some rest and find the proper defensive formation. Italy at their best in this tournament were constantly piling on the pressure, making runs and looking for the ball forward. With Verratti it's a different story.

With both him and Insigne being static ball hogs Italy's attacking threat gets lost to a large degree. It worked better with Insigne being the static ball hog and Spinazzola and Locatelli creating the movement around him. With Verratti on the pitch it was all up to Spinazzola (or Emerson) to create the movement for both Verratti and Insigne.

In the one game that Italy had problem with playing out of defense Verratti didn't have much possession either, so it's not as if he's some kind of magician that's far superior than the rest at handling the opposition's pressing game.

Can Verratti adjust his style and play more direct, perhaps? But if not I feel that Italy as a team will benefit from playing someone that releases the ball more quickly in that position.
Well with all due respect the tactics were created with him in mind as he featured during qualifying and once he was healthy he went back in. His characteristics and Locatelli's are different, of course.

Some have argued that Locatelli's better suits the tactics because of the first two games, but considering who we were playing and how they played us; sitting back, then perhaps an argument is valid and also considering Locatelli's two goals in those games. However Verratti played very well against Wales and against Austria he was one of the reasons they didn't press and cause more turn overs than they wanted. He and Jorginho were the two who shut down KDB in the Belgium game.

The only game Italy had problems playing out of the defense was Spain. That was by design because you don't want to lose the ball to Spanish players near your net. Verratti was incredibly effective at making sure they didn't get through the middle, and it wasn't until he was subbed vs Spain that they broke through the middle. On that play Barella was out of gas and got back late, in a zone that Verratti usually occupies. His effectiveness is not glamorous but no one else can provide what he does, not even Jorginho who is not going to be getting the # of tackles in that he does.

I think the biggest criticism of him is that he isn't an offensive weapon and never will be. He keeps midfield shape, keeps the ball, and make a lot of defensive recoveries. He's a Gattuso with dribbling and ball "keeping" skills.

So while Locatelli tends to go forward more, Verratti is better at keeping the midfield shape. Locatelli will be better in games where you face a midfield that doesn't possess the ball much, but if you have to shut down one or two players, you want Verratti in. He does get forward too, not as much as some would like, but he does.

Here are two occasions:

Three assists in these Euro's, the third on the set piece to Pessina's goal.

Then of course there is this, Verratti Spooning Giorgio and Manuel. Now you know why he can wrap around the ball so well :)

With Insigne I agree that when he releases the ball more quickly our left side is more potent. In the first game he did that very well. He held onto the ball way more in the second game and I didn't like it as much, however he Spina and Verratti got Italy out of a lot of trouble when Austria pressed hard with very quick triangle passing that usually set Spina free up the wing. All of the team demonstrated quick one touch passing when needed, but none more than those three when we were being pressed.

As I said, Spain was different. We went over the top more often so they didn't get control in the middle often, but when England tried pressing us deep, we passed through them. Probably why this is a fact:

Was it here that someone was telling us that England's midfield is better?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Watch a replay of Bonucci's goal vs England - all three Azzurri players who touched the ball in the box leading up to the goal were literally tackled NFL style, totally ridiculous, sick actually.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts