Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Croatia is having so many internal problems. There is a hug fight between the players and the coach. Some good players are not even being called up because of this.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Despite the issues the Croatia team is having. They still have weapons on the team with the likes of Modric, Persic, Rakitić, Brozović, Mandžukić, and Srna. I still wouldn't take this team lightly at all.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think this is one tournament too many for Srna. He has played the least number of games since 2003-04 in a season (29 games). At the age of 34, he ain't going to be bombing down that right wing and if he does, he'll be gassed for pace by the likes of Volkan Sen and Emre Mor. Hell, even Caner might do a number on him.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Croatia is having so many internal problems. There is a hug fight between the players and the coach. Some good players are not even being called up because of this.
... not with this coach , the problems are more within the Croatian Football Association and Dinamo king pin Mamic -a lot of people hate his influence over player selection etc. .

By the way this team is a lot younger, faster and experienced then the guys that destroyed you in Istanbul for the World Cup play off match!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I think this is one tournament too many for Srna. He has played the least number of games since 2003-04 in a season (29 games). At the age of 34, he ain't going to be bombing down that right wing and if he does, he'll be gassed for pace by the likes of Volkan Sen and Emre Mor. Hell, even Caner might do a number on him.
He is definitly past his peak-but I wouldn't call him a liability yet , we have a younger and much better right back in Sime Vrsaljko .....:wink2:

...by the way the Mor kid looks a good prospect!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Despite the issues the Croatia team is having. They still have weapons on the team with the likes of Modric, Persic, Rakitić, Brozović, Mandžukić, and Srna. I still wouldn't take this team lightly at all.
You guys seem all pretty confident in your team but you are right , the Croatia team has many stars that play top level football at top level clubs and Croatian players have been winners of 4 consecutive Champions league finals, your best player Turan has been sitting on the bench most of the season because of Rakitic's stellar form. But that all means nothing, football is won by team spirit and heart, I think both teams posses those attributes, its just who wants it more and has that tiny bit more quality on the day!

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
Croatia tends to disappoint as a team in the last years, back in 2008 you had the better team as well, probably the gap is even bigger now. I hope that somehow you don't function as a team again this time, then we might get the result we need.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Croatia tends to disappoint as a team in the last years, back in 2008 you had the better team as well, probably the gap is even bigger now. I hope that somehow you don't function as a team again this time, then we might get the result we need.
... I wouldn't call making the quarters a bad result as we beat Germany and won our three group matches, you guys never gave up and got lucky - both our team fought till the end ... I certainly think we had a better manager in 2008 than now!
But I also think we have a mix of players NOW that are far more confident/experienced and have a WINNING MENTALITY (especially Modric/Rakitic/Mandzukic) ... but hey talk is cheap, bring on the match and let the better team win .... and may the luck be on our side this time :wink2:

·
Wikipedia Editor
2,400 Posts
Go Hrvatska! Navijam za vas :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Croatia was much stronger back in 08, they haven't faced many difficult opponents since the WC (Bar Italy, Russia and Argentina).

Since then we've beaten Iceland, Holland and Czech republic in 2016 alone. I think we have a good chance to get a positive result here, this crop of NT players have been among the best we've had in terms of gelling and cohesion for quite some time.

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
Iceland and the Czech had nothing to fight for, correct me if I'm wrong. Beating Holland was our only impressive achievement.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
We at least need a draw. And I think we could manage to get it.
yeah, even 1pts could be enough if we keep our goal difference to a minimum. 2pts should be enough and securing a single victory means surviving the group stages.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,154 Posts
Iceland and the Czech had nothing to fight for, correct me if I'm wrong. Beating Holland was our only impressive achievement.
And Holland was really poor the last two years.. I don't know if we can call that an impressive achievement.

Plus for our situation with our NT, we don't have the chance with us during the Group Stage with the choice of the other teams. When you take a look at our last Euro Group Stage with Spain, Italy and Ireland.. it's simply really tough!

So as SLF said in his last comments, let the chance aside of this future match between us and let the best team on the pitch win and progress in the tournament. :)

1 - 20 of 175 Posts