Xtratime Community banner

Who will win this EURO 2016 Round of 16 match?

• Scoreless Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal by 1 goal

• Portugal by 2+ goals

1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
vs.

June 25th 2016 - 21:00 Local Time (13:00 EDT)

Stade Bollaert-Delelis, Lens (Capacity 41,229)

Pre-Match Background Info from UEFA.com:

Portugal have won all three of their previous meetings with Croatia without conceding, but are up against a side unbeaten in ten games in the round of 16.

Croatia will look to beat Portugal for the first time as the sides meet in Lens, with Fernando Santos's team aiming to halt a run of three draws at UEFA EURO 2016.

Previous meetings

• Portugal have won all three previous matches against Croatia without conceding, most notably triumphing 3-0 in their first encounter, in the group stage of EURO '96 – though it was the last group game and Croatia, who had already qualified for the quarter-finals by winning twice, fielded an under-strength line-up.

Their most recent meeting was a friendly in Geneva in June 2013, Cristiano Ronaldo scoring the only goal after 36 minutes.

• Both sides are playing in Lens for the first time.

EURO facts: Croatia

• Croatia come into the match unbeaten in ten games (W8 D2) since a 2-0 qualifying loss to Norway in September 2015.

• This is Croatia's fifth EURO final tournament – they have missed out just once since independence, at UEFA EURO 2000, and this is their fourth successive finals. They have twice reached the last eight and twice bowed out at the group stage.

• Croatia's greatest achievement in international football is picking up a bronze medal at the 1998 FIFA World Cup – the last major tournament staged in France.

EURO facts: Portugal

• Portugal are competing at their sixth consecutive EURO and their seventh in total. They have never failed to make it through the group stage.

• Portugal's greatest feat is getting to the final of UEFA EURO 2004 on home soil, where they unexpectedly lost 1-0 to Greece.

• EURO '84 in France was Portugal's first – they were semi-finalists, succumbing 3-2 to the hosts in extra time.
Coach and player links

• Current team-mates:
Eduardo and Gordon Schildenfeld, Marko Rog, Ante Ćorić and Marko Pjaca (GNK Dinamo Zagreb 2014–)
Luka Modrić with Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe (Real Madrid CF 2012–)
Mateo Kovačić with Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe (Real Madrid CF 2015–)
Danijel Subašić with João Moutiho and Ricardo Carvalho (AS Monaco FC 2013–)

• Former team-mates:
Ivan Perišić and Vieirinha (VfL Wolfsburg (2013–15)

• Ronaldo became the first player to score at four EUROs when he registered twice against Hungary in their climactic group stage game, and has also set a new finals appearance record: 17.

• Nani will pick up his 100th cap if he features against Croatia.

Tournament Statistics from UEFA.com:

Our usual pre-match stats from UEFA.com (TBD) and Soccerway.com

Betting odds from Oddschecker.com:

Initial:

Thursday, June 23rd:

Friday, June 24th:

Saturday, June 25th:
TBD​

·
Wikipedia Editor
2,408 Posts
Good luck !!

Reactions: Ljubuski

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Typically we get the toughest third placed team there is, however, if Madjarai managed to put three goals past them that's a good thing, our mid field will destroy them (I hope) if we can maintain the high standard of play from the first three matches .... a bit cruel though .... I think we've never beaten Portugal before.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Typically we get the toughest third placed team there is, however, if Madjarai managed to put three goals past them that's a good thing, our mid field will destroy them (I hope) if we can maintain the high standard of play from the first three matches .... a bit cruel though .... I think we've never beaten Portugal before.
there is always a first time!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
yea you guys should kill these guys. Good luck, hopefully you can make it to the final. Best 2 sides I have seen in the tourney so far are you guys and Italy.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Our coaches and staff need to watch game film of how the Germans play against Portugal and use it as a template.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tough draw for us. It just seems like such a gut punch after sweating blood to get that first place. Jesus, this can only happen to us.:groan:**** it, WE ARE CROATIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ajmo!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Farkin fark, kako nas je dopao jebeni Portugal!!!!! Jebem ti sreću glupu! Ljudi moji, u pravu je onaj jedan govnjar. Oni su promašili i falili dosta toga kontra Islanda i Austrije, jebeno su opasni i brzi. Nisam gledo današnju tekmu pa ne mogu komentirati, ali mogu reć da oni nama nikako ne odgovaraju....:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Tough draw for us. It just seems like such a gut punch after sweating blood to get that first place. Jesus, this can only happen to us.:groan:**** it, WE ARE CROATIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ajmo!
Grba, I know what you are saying, but Portugal always play open expansive football, they don't bunker and that should tactically suit us as Perisic could once again punish them on the counter. I'm almost more worried if we played someone like Italy who sits back and tries their luck on the counter against us ... AJMOOO NEMA PREDAJEEE

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Grba, I know what you are saying, but Portugal always play open expansive football, they don't bunker and that should tactically suit us as Perisic could once again punish them on the counter. I'm almost more worried if we played someone like Italy who sits back and tries their luck on the counter against us ... AJMOOO NEMA PREDAJEEE
There is a lot of bullshit that comes with this game. The Ronaldo and Nani flops that will certainly induce yellows and once again the refs will be against us.

But do you know what? I like those odds!!!!!!

Ajmooooooooooooooooooo Hrvatska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ferocious::ferocious::ferocious::ferocious:

Reactions: petro

·
No pain - No gain.
4,235 Posts
Come on guys, we look like little pussy to think that they're better than us, to be affraid about them etc..

After beating Spain, everything is possible!!! AJMO HRVATSKA!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There is a lot of bullshit that comes with this game. The Ronaldo and Nani flops that will certainly induce yellows and once again the refs will be against us.

But do you know what? I like those odds!!!!!!

Ajmooooooooooooooooooo Hrvatska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ferocious::ferocious::ferocious::ferocious:
Speaking of odds, I just pulled them and added them to the OP above:

Looks like Cro is favored with @ 1.5 to 1 odds, a Draw into Penalties comes next with right around 2 to 1 odds and Portugal winning comes in last at > 2 to 1 odds

Terrible scheduling for Portugal only two days rest. We got an extra day plus allot of our standard players will get over a weeks rest.
Excellent points batman, hvala

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Speaking of odds, I just pulled them and added them to the OP above:

Looks like Cro is favored with @ 1.5 to 1 odds, a Draw into Penalties comes next with right around 2 to 1 odds and Portugal winning comes in last at > 2 to 1 odds
I just want to win this one!! :ferocious: :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow toughest team we could have gotten. Portugal has very good players even though they don't always show it. We need Modric to play great in this one as he will be key to taking control of the midfield.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We play like we have been we can't lose to anyone. It's not going to be easy, Ronaldolina will always be a danger, but as long our boys battle like they did against Spain we will be on to the next round.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
We play like we have been we can't lose to anyone. It's not going to be easy, Ronaldolina will always be a danger, but as long our boys battle like they did against Spain we will be on to the next round.
Play like the team we have been playing like and I must agree!! :thumbsup (1)::thumbsup (1):

1 - 20 of 467 Posts