4. Latvia
5. San-Marino

Worst group for Azerbaijan:

1. Spain
2. Croatia
3. Poland
4. Montenegro
5. Kazakhstan

Meanwhile, Emin Makhmudov of Krylya Sovetov done u-turn after failing to get his place in Russia and now wants back to our NT. So he is likely to be called for our NT in this campaign.

However, Tuğrul Erat of Fortuna Dusseldorf is the man to watch. He is been very influential and crucial for our U-21. The kid is in terrific shape, just check his goal yesterday against Union Berlin. Pure quality.

UamSFwI3SnE

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is my prediction, we'll get:

1. Holland
2. Ukraine
3. Romania
4. Wales
5. Liectenstein

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got very hard and interesting draw.

1. Italy
2. Croatia
3. Norway
4. Bulgaria
5. Malta

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Hvala YBC

It is a tough group. I'm not expecting much, but if we can get 6 from Malta, 3 from Bulgaria/Norway, and 1 from Croatia, then I would call it successful.

First game is at home against Bulgaria. We need at least a point here, because after that we play Croatia and Italy, and Malta only until March. The top 2 spots seem guaranteed by Cro/Ita, but 3rd place is up for grabs. Norway/Bulgaria based on previous qualifiers are tough but also very vulnerable, if anything, Malta will be the banana slip for the group.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
How come you guys lag in football? I'd expect Azerbaijan to be one of those small great footballing nations. How's the progress coming?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
How come you guys lag in football? I'd expect Azerbaijan to be one of those small great footballing nations. How's the progress coming?
There's improvement, but its very slow. Past 3 qualifiers we improved slightly each time from 5pts, to 7, and last time we got 9, finished 4th. If we keep building the same team and improving from last campaign then we will be a tough team to beat in this group. Only Portugal had success against us in the last qualifiers, we held our own against Israel, NI, and Russia.

We are essentially starting football from scratch, the league, infrastracture, and organization have been slowly developing since about 5-6 years ago. We had money to invest before that, but it lacked serious organization and professionalism (still does somewhat). Now our big clubs Neftchi, Baki, Gabala, and Qarabag have seriously got involved in the "off the field" aspects of the game (youth,stadiums,system). Hopefully in the next 10 years we can have consistency with our clubs and national team, at least be on the level of a mid-tier teams like Slovakia, Hungary, Norway.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Games with Bulgaria is key for us. If we can screw them hard, then we will have quiet interesting games

·
Registered
336 Posts
Games with Bulgaria is key for us. If we can screw them hard, then we will have quiet interesting games
I am a bit worried about the first game to be honest. Azerbaijan away is no piece of cake, I am sure. We need to get our scoring in order if we are to qualify.

There is a huge hole after Berbatov quit the NT, but at least we play as a team and the players give 100% every game.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am a bit worried about the first game to be honest. Azerbaijan away is no piece of cake, I am sure. We need to get our scoring in order if we are to qualify.

There is a huge hole after Berbatov quit the NT, but at least we play as a team and the players give 100% every game.
If you look to current Azerbaijani team, we have only one great keeper, others are average.

Defense is Azerbaijan's strongest position. Defenders are quiet experienced and if u look to the results, you can see Azerbaijan started to concede less and loose few games.

Midfield is problematic. We got good wingers but poor central midfield.

Forwards - pretty average. Slowly improving. For us its important that youngsters show themselves in official games.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,995 Posts
Bulgaria have a very good team man. Though I've been aware of Azerbaijan getting some decent results lately, notably the draw against Russia. I don't know much about the Azeri team but my bet would be on Bulgaria, they caused big problems for teams like Italy in the last qualifiers, they are very solid. But good luck to both sides and may the best team(s) win.

If you can get 4+ points in the games against Norway and Bulgaria, and the 6 points against Malta, you should have a good chance of qualifying or at least getting to the playoffs. But those are tricky match-ups and should be wary. Will be interesting to see how it plays it out as the fight for the third spot in this group could be tight. Italy and Croatia will get first and second place respectively, hands-down.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are heavy speculations that Reynaldo from Karabakh can be naturalised. I think Berti wants to see him this season at Eurocups before making any decision.

We all know that most brazilians have very short fuse.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kamran Aghayev ruled out for 3-4 months, which means that he will miss match against Bulgaria

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really don't like our midfield against Bulgaria. Javid Huseynov over Afran. Vogts is still using his old antics

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
So what do you guys prefer to field against Bulgaria? The experiment against Russia was a fail or maybe just a decoy, but I hope Girtimov, Amirjanov, and Cihan will not start.

My XI =

--------------------Agaev-------------

Mahir-----Badavi------Rashad------Budak

-----------Abishov-----Garayev---------

--Araz------------Nazarov----------Vagif (Javid H)

--------------------Rauf (Vagif)-----------

Maybe keep Rauf or Vagif on the bench incase we have to find a goal in the 2nd half. I don't think Vogts would play such an attacking setup, but he perhaps might since we need to get points at home.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am more than sure it was a decoy against Russia to trick bulgarians. Obviously, result wasn't pleasant but if they win against Bulgaria, Ill be happy.

I have a bad feeling he will use Javid Huseynov

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great news.

Ivelin Popov is out against us. He was most dangerous man in their team. Bulgaria also lost few of their good defenders, which gives us good chance

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reynaldo became Azerbaijani citizen and he is going to play for our NT in October

1 - 20 of 200 Posts