Xtratime Community banner

Who will win this EURO 2016 match?

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
vs.

June 21st 2016 - 21:00 Local Time (16:00 EDT)

Stade de Bordeaux, Bordeaux (Capacity 42,115)

Pre-Match Background Info from UEFA.com:

Croatia eager to scratch Spain itch

Spain eked out a 1-0 win against Croatia at UEFA EURO 2012, with the holders unbeaten in 22 years against their Group D rivals going into their meeting in Bordeaux.

Croatia have not beaten Spain since 1994, but after a narrow defeat at UEFA EURO 2012 will hope better things lie ahead in Group D.

• Croatia's record in five matches against Spain is W1 D1 L3. They have not won any of the sides' last four meetings. Robert Prosinečki and Davor Šuker struck in a 2-0 friendly triumph in Valencia in March 1994 – Croatia's first away victory since independence.

• In their only previous competitive fixture, Spain defeated Croatia 1-0 in their final group game at UEFA EURO 2012 thanks to Jesús Navas's 88th-minute strike, the holders advancing at their opponents' expense. All four of the teams' previous meetings had been friendlies.

Croatia's EURO star: Luka Modrić

EURO facts – Croatia
• This is Croatia's fifth EURO final tournament – they have missed out only once since independence, at UEFA EURO 2000, and this is their fourth successive finals. They have twice reached the last eight and twice bowed out at the group stage.

• Croatia's greatest achievement in international football to date is picking up a bronze medal at the 1998 FIFA World Cup – the last major tournament to be staged in France.

• The only Croatian side to have played a UEFA game in Bordeaux are Hajduk Split, who lost 4-0 to Bordeaux in a 1982/83 UEFA Cup second round encounter.

EURO 2008 final highlights: Spain's golden night
EURO facts – Spain
• This is Spain's sixth consecutive EURO. They are bidding to triumph for the third time in succession, having become the first side to win two in a row at UEFA EURO 2012.

• Spain and Germany/West Germany are the most successful EURO sides having won three editions each.

• Spain have played France in two Bordeaux friendlies – a 4-0 win in 1922 and a 2-1 defeat in 1988.

• Spanish clubs have played five games at Bordeaux in UEFA competition with the record W1 D1 L3. Most recently, Osasuna drew 0-0 at the Stade Chaban-Delmas in a 2007/08 UEFA Cup round of 32 game.

Coach and player links
• Play together:
Mateo Kovačić and Luka Modrić (Croatia) & Isco, Nacho and Sergio Ramos (Spain) – Real Madrid

Dejan Lovren (Croatia) and Alberto Moreno (Spain) – Liverpool

Mario Mandžukić (Croatia) and Álvaro Morata (Spain) – Juventus

Ivan Rakitić (Croatia) & Jordi Alba, Marc Bartra, Sergio Busquets, Andrés
Iniesta, Gerald Piqué and Sergio Rico (Spain) – Barcelona

• Have played together:
Mario Mandžukić (Croatia) & Juanfran and Koke (Spain) – Atlético Madrid, 2014–15

Mario Mandžukić (Croatia) and Thiago Alcântara (Spain) – Bayern München, 2013–14

Luka Modrić (Croatia) and Iker Casillas (Spain) – Real Madrid, 2012–15

Ivan Rakitić (Croatia) and Sergio Rico (Spain) – Sevilla, 2010–14

Ivan Rakitić (Croatia) and Pedro Rodríguez (Spain) – Barcelona 2014–15

• Croatia's Alen Halilović is also a Barcelona player, but has yet to make his first-team breakthrough and spent this season on loan with Sporting Gijón.

• Croatia forward Duje Čop spent this season on loan at Málaga from Dinamo Zagreb. Danijel Pranjić (Celta Vigo, 2012/13) and Mario Pašalić (Elche, 2014–15) also have Spanish league experience.

Betting odds:

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,881 Posts
Nepoznat, you think you can come in here, after not posting anymore really and just post all 3 threads for the group games like that - even before the provisional roster has been trimmed down?!!

:facepalm:

:D

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
This will be a big game if Cro and Spain both have 6 points. The "easy" road to the semi final is at stake!
I think 4 years ago we showed them to much respect, time to break that duck and beat the Spanish at a major tournament, we have a improved team compared to 2012, they on the other hand are a (weaker-but far from weak) side with less an identity since Xavi retired. Who knows, if we have the better goal difference a draw could be enough and I think that could ba an achievable goal, but it means we have to score more then them vs Turkey and Czech!
A big part of the responsibility of playing against Spain will lie with Rakitic, Modric and Kovacic who are used to playing against these players all the time, they by now should feel like we actually have an amazing mid field too that could case serious damage to Spain. In 2012 we just seemed a bit in awe of what was then the best team in the world by some margin!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess we will know Monday whether we had a point deduction and/or what we need to do to to get to the next round.

If Modric is not 100%, I don;t think we can risk him if we are through to the next round. Is too critical for our team to risk missing games in knockout rounds.

the plus side is Spain is through and maybe will rest some of their guys.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess we will know Monday whether we had a point deduction and/or what we need to do to to get to the next round.

If Modric is not 100%, I don;t think we can risk him if we are through to the next round. Is too critical for our team to risk missing games in knockout rounds.

I doubt Spain takes it easy on us, they need to make sure they don't lose to us as they won't want to play Italia in Ro16

·
Registered
27 Posts
I doubt Spain takes it easy on us, they need to make sure they don't lose to us as they won't want to play Italia in Ro16
Belgium looks like on fire now. If I was Spain I'd rather play Italy.

And I'd prefer Italy as well. I don't see Vida and Corluka and Strinic being able to handle Lukaku and Debruyne and Hazard....:err:

Our streak of never losing to Italy I think would continue.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

And I'd prefer Italy as well. I don't see Vida and Corluka and Strinic being able to handle Lukaku and Debruyne and Hazard....:err:

Belgium would have to come in 3rd for Spain to play them (assuming Spain wins the group) and even then they might play 3rd place team from a different group

·
No pain - No gain.
4,493 Posts

I agree with your points Ante but Cacic showed to us how he was unable to use his players on the bench perfectly and how decided to play with the same players in the first two matchs and that during 80 mins.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,493 Posts

Trust me but they're clearly not on fire.. their play is slow and they've many huge problems inside their team between their players and their coach.

Plus their play is only based on counter attack, without that they're totally lost and they're unable to produce a good play.

Finally, this team is fragile and Ireland wans't good enough. 3-0 was the score that Croatia had in his own hands yesterday.. :facepalm:

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts

If they understand that's what the idiots wanted then perhaps maybe not.

ESPN had a good article/report on it, they seemed to get the Mamic dynamic.

You never know.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Look... our boys are going to recoil and bounce back. We gonna beat Spain and win the group and go on to make a deep fckn run like nothing before... just like Wenger called it.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Look... our boys are going to recoil and bounce back. We gonna beat Spain and win the group and go on to make a deep fckn run like nothing before... just like Wenger called it.
:thumbsup (1)::thumbsup (1)::thumbsup (1)::thumbsup (1):

There is no retreat, there is no surrender.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I hope we can beat Spain somehow, but I doubt that can happen without Luka. However, they might rest Iniesta and without him the look far from convincing. If Mateo Kovacic only was match fit he could do a good job but I think Cacic will have to reshuffle our mid field a bit consisting of maybe:

Brozovic - Badelj

Kovacic -Raketa - Perisic

or

Brozovic -Badelj

Pjaca - Rakitic - Perisic

Mandzo needs to start scoring or get Kalinic on instead

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Play the break. If after 60min scores are level, I think they'll take their foot off the accelerator and look to retain top spot. I won't complain if we take a point. Nor do I fear the Italians.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm just scared these hooligans will try something again, and apparently they are. Are the French capable of stopping these people or what? They better be.

As for the game, gonna be tough without Modric.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is on my mind unfortunately is that those f'in idiots will ruin yet another game.

It has to be on the players minds as well. Work like dogs chasing Spain around the field, giving it their all in a tight game, and then these k.unts again will interupt the game late...

:(

Without Modric I just don't see us having the ability to create chances.

Is he going to be 100% for the next round?

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
By the way, I just had a look at all the group standings , are you guys sure we are through to the next round no matter what? Some teams might overtake us on goal difference? Still can't get my head round the best 4 third team spots- all groups third placed teams are still in the position to make the third spot, so why hasn't anyone mentioned this. It only takes us to lose 1-0 to Spain and Czech's to beat Turkey 1-0 for them to be on same goal difference and points to us ... what if there are 6 teams with 4 points from all three matches? Our goal difference is not great, is there still a chance for us not making the next round?

1 - 20 of 212 Posts