Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know if any of you had heard about it before, but I just learned that we made a bid for the Euro 2012. There is seven other bids, and one of them is Greece. For Euro 2008 we had presented a joint bid with Greece but it was unsuccessful, so it seems both countries went for a solo bid this time.
Here is the article : UEFA Official Site.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Nice to see that we are applying but we will never get it.....even countries like Andorra and San Marino have better chances getting the euro than Türkiye!

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
The next cut isn't until November. In the meantime, Turkiye has a chance to impress UEFA.
- The CL final is in Istanbul. That match going very well could do A TON for Turkiye's bid.
- There have already been some real positive comments from the NT and CL matches that have been played at Fener's Sukru Saracoglu stadium. If Fener continues their run in the UEFA cup this year and the CL next year, and those matches go well too, that will score big points with UEFA.

The bad part is that there are really only 3 viable stadiums right now to host the Euro championships. And they're all in Istanbul - SSS, Inonu, and Olympic.
A serious committment is needed from cities like Izmir, Bursa, Ankara, Antalya and Rize / Trabzon to modernize and expand their stadiums and infrastructure.

·
Administrator
25,486 Posts
well it is possible, but looking at a distance, i think they will go for Italy.
its a classic football nation, has the stadiums/ infrastructures, always manages to present a good NT, and i think they never hosted it... actually i think this and the prestige of the NT is what would make the balance weight more for their end

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
Inonu's stands (behind the goals) are way too close to the pitch (just look at the corner flags! :rollani: ), so I'd think something would need to be done about that before it'd be allowed to host a EC level game..

I don't think we'll get it, but I sure as hell hope that Greece doesn't get it either after the stunts their fans pulled to basically sabotage the last joint bid :rollani:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Tolga said:
Inonu's stands (behind the goals) are way too close to the pitch (just look at the corner flags! :rollani: ), so I'd think something would need to be done about that before it'd be allowed to host a EC level game..
Why do you think so?
Since you've reached such a conclusion, please enlighten us.

How close are the stands to the pitch, and what are the FIFA regulations or guidelines regarding this?

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
Well, when taking a corner, the player is basically walking around the side of the stand.. :rollani:

Here's the regulation from UEFA for a 4 and 5 star stadium;
"4) Minimum distances between the playing field boundaries and the retaining wall: Sidelines 6m, Goal lines 7,5m"

Can you honestly look at this picture and tell me that the goal line and the stand behind the goal aren't within 7.5m of eachother?!
http://www.kartalizma.org/images/stad/inonu104.JPG

I even doubt the sidelines are 6m from the stands, but that's another issue..

I assume all stadiums should be 4 or 5 star in order to host a major international event.. As far as I know, we only have the Istanbul Olympic stadium (5 star) as a qualified stadium.. Sukru Saracoglu has recently passed some UEFA criterias, but I'm not certain on whether its classed as a 4 star stadium just yet. But it'll probably make the 5 star list once the expansion is completed later this year..

Even if officially the grounds don't all have to be 4/5 star grounds, there is no way UEFA will look gladly upon Inonu hosting a match with that stand that close..

Note, the only difference between a 4 star and 5 star stadium (as far as I know) is the minimum capacity. It's 50,000 for a 5 star stadium, and 30,000 for a 4 star stadium..

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I don't think pictures woudl provide us with empirical data, nor will it help us reach such conclusions.
I also dont' think its safe for you to just make assumptions like that, without any real data.

The claim on the official site is that the stadium was renovated according to UEFA standards.

But I'll have to do some research about the specifics, especially the distance of the corner flags, since you mention it. I really don't feel like researching that right now, so I'll look into it sometime and we'll see.

you could be right or wrong, we dont' know yet.
But you're just making a statement without being sure about the accuracy of your claims.

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
The only way you could manage to make the pitch not be so close to the stands would be to make the actual pitch smaller. Which in turn would violate this rule;

"3) Playing pitch dimensions of 105 x 68 m"

Look, think logically.. Your club had to dig downwards in order to fit in a new tier of seats. Seats aren't vertical, they go on a downward angle, which in turns means that the area left for the pitch at Inonu would be less than before the expansion..

UEFA standards, and the criteria to having a 4 or 5 star stadium are completely different things. And to host an international event, I'm quite sure that you can ONLY play at 4 and 5 star venues.. The only stadium we have that is even remotely close to being a 4 star stadium (Olympic stadium excluded) is Sukru Saracoglu.

I don't understand why you're ignoring the obvious, just to answer back to me.. Get a grip on reality for crying out loud..

And if you don't want to believe that picture, then watch a few matches once in a while and you'll see..
The attached picture is Alex starting his run up to take a corner at Inonu.. By no means does it show the pitch and all, but it hammers home my point about how ridiculous it is to take a corner at Inonu..

Attachments

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
List of UEFA 5 star stadiums, as at January 2004;

Estádio da Luz, Lisbon
Estádio Alvalade XXI, Lisbon
Estádio do Dragão, Porto
Feyenoord Stadium de Kuip, Roterdam
Arena, Amesterdam
Old Trafford, Manchester
Schalke Arena, Gelsenkirchen
Olympiastadion, Munich
Aol Arena, Hamburg
Ernst-Happel, Vienna
Ibrox Park, Glasgow
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Millenium, Cardiff
Olímpico Montjuic, Barcelona
Nou Camp, Barcelona
Vicente Calderon, Madrid
Olímpico La Cartuja, Seville
Luzhniki, Moscow
Stade de France, Paris
Ataturk Olimpyat, Istanbul

Notice that 3 are from Portugal, the country who was then 6 months away from hosting Euro 2004..

And here are the UEFA guidelines to having a 4/5 star stadium..

1) Minimum capacity of 50,000 (5 star venues) or 30,000 (4 star venues)
2) All seats must be individual with backrests
3) Playing pitch dimensions of 105 x 68 m
4) Minimum distances between the playing field boundaries and the retaining wall: Sidelines 6m, Goal lines 7,5m
5) No perimeter fencing around the playing area
6) First-rate dressing rooms for both teams and the referees (equal size and furnishings for both teams, spacious, bright and clean)
7) Direct, private and protected access for both teams and the referees, from their dressing rooms to the playing area, and for their arrival at / departure from, the stadium
8) Suitable and appropriately equipped dope-testing room
9) Suitable and appropriately equipped room for the UEFA Delegate/Referee Observer
10) Floodlighting of a minimum intensity of 1400 Lux (eV) in the direction of the main camera, and 1000 Lux (eV) towards the other areas of the stadium, plus an efficient emergency power supply system able, if necessary, to provide instantaneously and without interruption, the equivalent light intensity values
11) A modern and efficient public address system which ensures that messages may be delivered to public areas, inside and outside the stadium, clearly and distinctly, during the event, and which is not diminished by sudden surges in crowd noise levels, nor vulnerable to failure of the main power supply
12) A permanent TV surveillance system in colour, covering all public areas inside and outside the stadium, which is capable of producing instant still photos
13) A stadium control room with the monitor screens for the TV surveillance system. The control posts for the public address announcer, the video information board (if any) the police, fire and medical services should all be located in, or immediately adjacent to the stadium control room which must have a clear, uninterrupted view of the whole interior of the stadium
14) Internationally understandable public signage, inside and outside the stadium, including the stadium approaches
15) A minimum of two sectors, with at least 50 covered seats in each, for disabled persons and their helpers. Such sectors must be suitably equipped with sanitation and refreshment facilities
16) Acceptable sanitary facilities for spectators (both sexes) in terms of numbers, cleanliness and standards. Toilets without seats will no longer be accepted for spectators of either sex
17) Provision of first-rate media facilities in terms of camera positions, working places, TV studios. The number of Media facilities may vary according to the match and the venue. (See UEFA Guideline for Media Facilities)
18) Adequate first class facilities must be provided for VIPs, including a minimum of 200 places at the VIP box, hospitality area for 400 VIP guests, possibilities for hospitality of 200 guests of the competing teams (200x2) and sufficient room outside the stadium (in the immediate vicinity) for Champions Village – approx. 4000 guests (in UEFA Champion league final only)

·
Master Debater
21,110 Posts
Tolga said:

I don't think we'll get it, but I sure as hell hope that Greece doesn't get it either after the stunts their fans pulled to basically sabotage the last joint bid :rollani:

Tolga what did the greek fans actually pull to sabotage the last joint bit? Curious stuff.

Secondly can you guys please stop arguing about how far the corner flag is from the stands at inonu. I swear I wouldn't be shocked to see people here arguing over which team has the best grass or the best security guards lol

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
Well, the whole Fener - PAO match in Istanbul is the best example..

They pelted the foreign ministers with ayran, and basically attended the match firstly to protest the joint bid and only secondly to support their team..
I'm sure you saw the pictures of the hooligans with "NO EURO 2008!" painted on their bare chests in the stands during that match..

Quite a lot of the Greek side where protesting the bid from the start, even though according to plans they where the more significant of the two hosts, seeing as how more major games (including the final) where to be played in Athens..

That Fener v PAO UEFA Cup tie was supposed to showcase the joint bid, and after the antics that where pulled, there was no way in hell UEFA would even consider it

yeniceri said:
......over which team has the best grass or the best security guards lol
It might humour you to know that the first transfer Fenerbahçe made under Daum's management was a "professional grass doctor" from Bayer Leverkusen :howler:

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
From UEFA.com ..

It lists our opponents and some more details.. And Ana, Italy has apparently hosted it 1.5 times before (you'll understand what I mean about the .5 when you get to that part of the article)..

Eight bids for EURO 2012
Tuesday, 1 February 2005

Ten national football associations, involved in eight bids, are starting out on the road which they hope will end in them hosting the UEFA European Championship finals in 2012.

Solo and joint bids
UEFA said that the associations of Azerbaijan, Greece, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey had informed the European governing body that they were interested in making solo bids for the event, while Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are going for joint bids. The deadline for registering interest was yesterday.

Previous experience
Several of the associations have previously applied to stage a EURO final round, while in Italy's case, they hosted the 1980 finals, and an abridged final phase from the semi-finals onwards in 1968.

EURO 2008
Greece - the reigning European champions - and Turkey made a joint bid for UEFA EURO 2008™. Croatia did likewise - with Bosnia-Herzegovina - while Hungary and Russia were solo bidders. In December 2002, UEFA chose Austria and Switzerland as joint hosts of EURO 2008™.

Two phases
The bidding process for EURO 2012 has been split into two phases, as a means of saving resources for UEFA and the bidding associations. The first phase will lead to the pre-selection of three bidders, and the final decision on the host association will follow in a second phase.

December 2006 decision
The first phase will see candidates present their initial bid dossiers by 21 July 2005. Consequently, the UEFA Executive Committee will draw up a shortlist of three candidates in November 2005, and following a period where the candidates can fine-tune their bids, the Executive Committee will take the final decision on the hosts of EURO 2012 in December 2006.

Two-step procedure
"We will give [the bidders] all the material to prepare the first stage of the bid," UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson told uefa.com as the first major EURO 2012 deadline expired. "We now have a similar system as they have for the Olympic Games – a two-step bidding procedure.

Six-year preparations
"The candidates will have to return to UEFA with the necessary guarantees and make their proposals, and then there will be a first evaluation, followed by a second step, to enable a final decision to be taken in 2006. That means that the preparations for 2012 will last for six years.

Wishing candidates well
"We are delighted with the level of interest shown by our member associations in hosting the final tournament of the European Football Championship 2012, and wish all candidates the best in their work over the next few months."

Bidding requirements
The detailed bid requirements will be sent to the interested associations on 8 February and will be published on uefa.com.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Tolga said:
I don't understand why you're ignoring the obvious, just to answer back to me.. Get a grip on reality for crying out loud..
You're so full of it :yuck:
For once, try to make a point without being so antagonistic, if you can manage. What does me 'watching a match once in a while' have to do with the distance of the flag? Salak salak laflar.

As I said, you MIGHT be right, you MIGHT be wrong.
But you cannot say for sure can you? Reason being you have no real data or emperical evidence.

All i'm saying is, you cannot make such a statement without knowing for sure, and to be certain you have to know how far it really is.
So either measure it, or check the data, and THEN try jumping to conclusions..

I will look into it when i get a chance and we'll know for sure. I'm not arguing either way, I'm just trying to point out that you don't know for sure and you're simply reaching conclusions based on nothing other than the TV set or a picture.

Hayret birsey ya, what does it take to get a bit of loogic around here.

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
It's quite simple really, if you paid enough attention when watching matches you'd notice that the goal line near the corner flag is NOT 7.5 metres from the stand.. The edge of the stand is basically within touching distance from the goal line..

Something that looks like no more than a metre or 2 on TV isn't magically going to be 8 metres in reality. That is being logical..

Look at it again. The location of the stand hasn't changed, and the markings of the pitch haven't changed. Can you honestly look at this picture and dispute the claim that the stand isn't over 7.5 metres from the pitch? :rollani:
If you say yes, I think I can safely assume that this isn't about the Inonu pitch, but rather a personal vendetta that you refuse to let go..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Yes the corner of the stands do look close to the goal line, how close I don't know because photos can never offer us with accurate measurements, they can be misleading ;)

As i said, we need real emperical evidence, and I'll look into it. I don't feel like getting into another personal argument with you, so I'll just simply post what data I can get my hands on. Until then, this whole argument is useless, and a waste of time

·
*the drum drum*
43,171 Posts
That's all you had to say from the start, instead of denying that anything I said meant little to nothing..

A simple, "yes, it does look like the stand is too close to the pitch, and that may be a problem. However I'm not completely convinced, and will try and find accurate measurements", and this thread would've been quite a few posts shorter..

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
And all you had to do from the beginning is say: 'you're right, i have No REAL data, I'm just making an assumption based on what I've seen' and everything would've been fine and the thread would've been shorter.

Instead, you chose to make remarks about me not watching matches, and made it personal.

Now let's keep it short, this is my last message on this thread regarding this matter.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
PAO_ARSENAL said:
Tolga As for 2012 said:
I also believe that Italy will get it. And i dont know why Greece-Turkey did not make a second bid for 2012. Soon or later it will succed. I dont thing that they have much of a realistic chance alone. :groan:

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
D-lite said:
BTW, props to fener fans, that 'Istanbul since 1453' banner ROCKED :D:D

Thanks.....im kind of proud of it too....:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts