Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ukraine's chances of hosting the premier event of European competiton, but firstly: to those concerned Dynamo Fans who think Dynamo is going to be in financial ruin because of Yuschenko:

Dynamo will emerge from this as strong as ever. Yuschenko won his elections largely due to his image (‘Tak’ campaign) and promoting the image of Ukrainian freedom etc. Dynamo act as a perfect ambassador for these messages though-out Western Europe. If anything Dynamo is a selling point to him, as one of the positives out of the country and a reason for investment. Even if Surkis is thrown out; the infer-structure for the club is there, its not going to be ‘Scenario Fiorentina’.

A perfect example of this being (straight into the topic): Ukraine just put in a joint bid to co-host Euro 2012 with Poland. :party: Yuschenko and the Ukrainian people could not ask for anything better. Victor knows that through football (and sport in general), jobs and the economy will thrive. This bid, looking at the other 9 entrants; looks promising-considering the fact that the Yuschenko’s government theoretically would provide financial backing for the modernization of transport, venues, tourism, and stadiums. This development, will help Ukraine get their footing as a European power, not just in football but in general. And who knows? Maybe by 2012 Ukraine would be in the EU, then we’ll really be cooking! :lick:

Vitaly

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(The following makes for some interesting reading):

Things to consider:

Will Ukraine/Poland be able to generate enough interest for Fooball fans from around the world to come, and host a successful tournament?

There are three main points to be made here:

1. The ethnic/ tourist factor. Poland and Ukraine has a great historical heritage, if not in football. People would not just come for the football (besides it being the focal point). People would come for the historical sites, the natural beauty, and to experience a different culture. There will be many things to see and do besides football. A major plus for the bid (if not future bids to come).

And its not like it will be hard to come up with mascots for the Tournament:
Jerzy and Taras; the juggling Cossacks!

Unlike what ever the hell Japan/Korea came up with! :rolleyes:

2. Accessibility. Transport in and around the two countries is not so much a concern, but an issue. Kiev has a typical ex-Soviet three line system. The network is almost entirely underground besides on the Dnipro bridge crossings, and is as good as anything in Europe. Apart from the Metro (www.metro.kiev.ua) there are fast tram lines all across major cities, which are highly efficient. Of course the classic ‘avtobus’ services have to be upgraded, but that won’t be too hard. In Odessa for anotehr example, the tram line is not only a good way of transport but a historical feature. 2 in one!

As for our Polish counter-parts. I can only say from personal experience that I’ve been to Warsaw airport-and it seemed of international standard (and I have been to A LOT of airports.)

As for the rest of it: they seem to have it covered too :cool: :
www.ebrd.com/projects/psd/psd2004/34554.htm

3. As for stadiums: Ukraine have poor facilities in that respect:

Olympiysky is capacity heaven (85,000)- but not exactly 5 star.

Lviv, is poor by European standards, no cover and crappy scoreboard etc. I was there for the Armenia game some time ago (2003) - what it has in atmosphere it lacks in quality.

Sumy is the only 'great' stadium: (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/ukraine/sumy_yubileiny.shtml).

And another positive is Shakhtar’s construction of their new ground. Which looks insane! :horny: There is a video available at their site-suggest you check it out).

Kharkov, has a so-so ground. One of those home renovation jobs would do the trick. :happy:

So with that said, Ukraine could EASILY have 4+ world class stadiums up and running by 2012.

On the other side of the coin:

Warszawa – same story as Olympiysky.

And to be frank; I’m not too familiar with 13th century Polish architecture, but the stadiums are generally poor.

There is some promise however:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/poland/wielkopolskie/poznan_lecha.shtml

The thing is Poland, have very out-dated stadiums as-well, so it will take a lot more than just a coat of paint to convince the UEFA boards.

This is were Ukraine-Poland only really lag behind. Austria-Switzerland (despite capacity) and especially Italy have quality stadiums and are a huge tick to their credit. Russia (trying again) have the capacity but not the European quality. Im not sure maybe why they failed before: maybe UEFA is afraid of the lack of supervision and control they would have in the final outcome? Russia is a realistic destination, but have a stained image (or a shifty stereotype) to get rid of before hosting an event of this magnitude. Plus the Russian president wasnt exactly keen to fund such a venture.

Greece won’t get it (After hosting the Olympic games, UEFA will look elsewhere- Greeks are getting greedy!)

Azerbaijan (10 for effort :tongue: ), Romania, Turkey (clash of Western culture), Croatia- Hungary, aren’t serious contenders. Turkey maybe…

Please feel free to comment on this future issue!

Vitaly

·
Registered
66,971 Posts
Yuschenko trying to host a tourny with Poland, this will do wonders for his reputation in Eastern Ukraine....lmao.

·
Registered
66,971 Posts
About Dynamo, what makes u think that if Surkis gets ousted that the club will be in "good hands". It'll just switch from a pro-Russian clan to a pro-Yuschenko clan.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Dmitriy said:
Yuschenko trying to host a tourny with Poland, this will do wonders for his reputation in Eastern Ukraine....lmao.
We asked Russia to host with us first (I wonder what we were on :stoned: )

Ukraine didn't want to give up, so they asked Poland and they agreed.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dimitriy- your right in that respect. "Good hands" is a loose term in Ukrainian football :tongue: But it cant really be any different or worse than Surkis runs it-which I argue, he hasnt done a bad bad job with. Well it will be a pro-Ukrainian, Yuschenko fellow that should be a given yes...but its something to think about...

Yeah Russia rejected the bid because supposedly Ukraine put foward the proposal that the final be held in Kiev.
I dont really know what they have decided with the Poland/Ukriane bid...that would be 5 :star: information. (Ill get onto in). However, I dont think they would have discussed it-with both parties thinking it will be in their respective capital. :D Realistically though- has to be in Kiev. Kiev is a bigger footballing Capital than Warsaw, not to mention a better looking city. Plus it was the FFU who put the idea forward (therefore being the catalyst) for the event, it only seems fair.

Vitaly

·
Registered
66,971 Posts
well ur right Ukraine is a very beautiful country and in that aspect u guys are fine when it comes to hosting.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dmitriy: This is on the bid for Russia:

Moscow Makes Late Bid for Euro 2012

Reuters (full article is over 2 pages, I got the key points):

Russia has filed a late bid to host the 2012 European Championship, just beating Monday's deadline set by European soccer's governing body UEFA.

"We didn't want to make fools of ourselves by submitting an unprepared bid like we had the last time," outgoing Russian soccer chief Vyacheslav Koloskov said.

"We needed government guarantees for our bid to have any chance of success and I think we now have a strong case."

Russia will face tough competition from Italy and Greece as well as joint bids from Poland/Ukraine and Hungary/Croatia.

"We have concrete plans to build soccer stadiums not only in Moscow or St. Petersburg but also in several other Russian cities," he said.

Koloskov also dismissed fears that the country's bid for a major soccer tournament in 2012 could harm Moscow's hopes of staging the Olympics in the same year.

"I think it will only increase our chances because no matter how the Olympic vote would go Moscow is already spending lots of money on its infrastructure, roads, hotels, etc. and it could only help our bid as well," he said.

Good luck with it all Dmitriy! But the EURO/Olympics double bid sounds a bit stupid to me. Any comments?

UEFA's official comment on all the bids:

"We are delighted with the level of interest shown by our member associations in hosting the final tournament of the European Football Championship 2012, and wish all candidates the best in their work over the next few months," UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson told UEFA.com.

UEFA will send detailed information to the interested hosts next week. Initial bids will be made this summer, before the list is trimmed down to three in November. A final decision will be made by December of 2006.

I think that the Tournament definately has to go to some part of Eastern Europe. From my INITIAL research I've realised two things about the Pole/Uke bid:

1. The Polish are not as keen to host the event as the Ukrainians
2. Wieslaw Wilczynski (Polish Sports Minister) along with other Polish big-names, doubt that Ukraine is capable to be ready in time for the event...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also something to keep in mid is the fact that when Hungary put in a solo bid for EURO 2008, they finished only second to Swit/Aus bid. So with a partner who knows...

Another thing to keep in mind is UEFA likes for the stadia to be spread out across the venue and not just in a concentrated area. This is a fact- and was one of the downfalls in the Hungary bid. That serves as a plus for the Ukraine/Poland bid. If Ukraine were to get it, the locations for the Stadiums would be obvious: Kiev, Donetsk, Kharkov, Lviv, + other eg. Odesa. Poland would idealy have a similar spread.

As it stands I think it will go:

Italy
Greece
Russia or Ukraine/Poland or Hungary/Croatia for 3rd place.
Turkey 4th

·
Registered
66,971 Posts
ya i don't understand this double bid from Russia. everyone was focused on landing the Olympics. let me just say that we deserve to hold one of these events at least, however i doubt it, UEFA will probably give it to their Italian boyfriends, and the IOC will probably give it to a Western Country, France most likely.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Italy should theoretically be favourites anyway....

Romania pulled out of their bid for Euro, not enough assistance and funding from the government. That's one down...

·
Registered
69,445 Posts
I think its going to be Greece, Italy doesn't have many modern stadiums but again they got 8 years to build. Croatia/Hungary got a decent chance. When will the decision be made?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HajdukSplit said:
I think its going to be Greece, Italy doesn't have many modern stadiums but again they got 8 years to build. Croatia/Hungary got a decent chance. When will the decision be made?
Dude- read the thread! Its a good read, cos I wrote most of it..haha

UEFA has send detailed information to the contenders. Initial bids have been made this summer (as you know), before the list is trimmed down to three in November. A final decision will be made by December of 2006.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I do believe that the Ukraine/Poland bid has gained more confidence because of recent results and this appeal. The FFU is right, all it needs is some media attention and this bid could become serious.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Thatd be nice. I could hit the Euros, a Shakhtar match, and head to the Russian capital to watch CSKA in the same trip!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rebrov said:
(The following makes for some interesting reading):

Things to consider:

Will Ukraine/Poland be able to generate enough interest for Fooball fans from around the world to come, and host a successful tournament?

There are three main points to be made here:

1. The ethnic/ tourist factor. Poland and Ukraine has a great historical heritage, if not in football. People would not just come for the football (besides it being the focal point). People would come for the historical sites, the natural beauty, and to experience a different culture. There will be many things to see and do besides football. A major plus for the bid (if not future bids to come).

And its not like it will be hard to come up with mascots for the Tournament:
Jerzy and Taras; the juggling Cossacks!

Unlike what ever the hell Japan/Korea came up with! :rolleyes:

2. Accessibility. Transport in and around the two countries is not so much a concern, but an issue. Kiev has a typical ex-Soviet three line system. The network is almost entirely underground besides on the Dnipro bridge crossings, and is as good as anything in Europe. Apart from the Metro (www.metro.kiev.ua) there are fast tram lines all across major cities, which are highly efficient. Of course the classic ‘avtobus’ services have to be upgraded, but that won’t be too hard. In Odessa for anotehr example, the tram line is not only a good way of transport but a historical feature. 2 in one!

As for our Polish counter-parts. I can only say from personal experience that I’ve been to Warsaw airport-and it seemed of international standard (and I have been to A LOT of airports.)

As for the rest of it: they seem to have it covered too :cool: :
www.ebrd.com/projects/psd/psd2004/34554.htm

3. As for stadiums: Ukraine have poor facilities in that respect:

Olympiysky is capacity heaven (85,000)- but not exactly 5 star.

Lviv, is poor by European standards, no cover and crappy scoreboard etc. I was there for the Armenia game some time ago (2003) - what it has in atmosphere it lacks in quality.

Sumy is the only 'great' stadium: (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/ukraine/sumy_yubileiny.shtml).

And another positive is Shakhtar’s construction of their new ground. Which looks insane! :horny: There is a video available at their site-suggest you check it out).

Kharkov, has a so-so ground. One of those home renovation jobs would do the trick. :happy:

So with that said, Ukraine could EASILY have 4+ world class stadiums up and running by 2012.

On the other side of the coin:

Warszawa – same story as Olympiysky.

And to be frank; I’m not too familiar with 13th century Polish architecture, but the stadiums are generally poor.

There is some promise however:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/poland/wielkopolskie/poznan_lecha.shtml

The thing is Poland, have very out-dated stadiums as-well, so it will take a lot more than just a coat of paint to convince the UEFA boards.

This is were Ukraine-Poland only really lag behind. Austria-Switzerland (despite capacity) and especially Italy have quality stadiums and are a huge tick to their credit. Russia (trying again) have the capacity but not the European quality. Im not sure maybe why they failed before: maybe UEFA is afraid of the lack of supervision and control they would have in the final outcome? Russia is a realistic destination, but have a stained image (or a shifty stereotype) to get rid of before hosting an event of this magnitude. Plus the Russian president wasnt exactly keen to fund such a venture.

Greece won’t get it (After hosting the Olympic games, UEFA will look elsewhere- Greeks are getting greedy!)

Azerbaijan (10 for effort :tongue: ), Romania, Turkey (clash of Western culture), Croatia- Hungary, aren’t serious contenders. Turkey maybe…

Please feel free to comment on this future issue!

Vitaly

I dont think accesibility is an issue because I went to the motherland about 4 months ago and the buses downtown come every minute and you can take the underground train thing and it can take you all around the city very fast. I think the quality of the stadiums may be a problem. Yeah I dont think Turkey can get it because they just hosted the Champions League Final which is a huge event. Hope its Ukraine/Poland!

1 - 20 of 430 Posts