Who will reach the Quarter Finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
69,202 Posts
Roy Hodgson names his 23-man England squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermaine Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Wellbeck (Manchester United)

Chamberlain gets picked after a decent second half with Arsenal, the one surprise is probably Defoe, scored goals at Spurs but wasn't really a starter

Stand-by players in case of injury: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderon (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Rooney won`t play the first two games for England which of course it is a serious blow and they will have only three options upfront being Defoe and Carrol contested figures while Welbeck sometimes wasn`t even a starter.

Maybe Hodgson should have thought in more options for this sector. But excluding this situation I believe it is a coherent call up.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am changing my vote :). England won't get out of this group now. I vote for Sweden now. England won;t score against the Swedes or France without Rooney.

And having players like Defoe, Downing and Johnson certainly will not help their cause.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Maybe this is the first time in many years that England doesn`t come favourites by the press and won`t be regarded to do much.
The fact that there won`t be this extra pressure might help the team to feel more comfortable even without Rooney. But I must agree that the team loses a lot of its punch without him especially with the ones that were fielded. This means that Hodgson might play with a packed midfield and in counterattack style, with Defoe upfront alone and playing Gerrard in a more offensive role.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have officially pick the French to win it all! Even though the contenders are many, i think they are possibly the strongest back line of the top teams, as long as Mexes doesn;t start, if Mexes then that goes out the window.:pp

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Pre-Euro FRIENDLIES involving teams from Group D:

26 May
Norway 0-1 ENGLAND in Oslo
(Ashley Young 9')

27 May
FRANCE 3-2 Iceland in Valenciennes
(Debuchy 52', Ribery 85', Rami 87'; Bjarnasson 28', Sigthorsson 34')

28 May
UKRAINE 4-0 Estonia in Kufstein (AUT)
(Yarmolenko 9', Gusev 34' pen., Voronin 41', Milevskiy 50')

30 May
SWEDEN 3-2 Iceland in Gothenburg
(Ibrahimovic 2', Toivonen 14', Wilhelmsson 77'; Sigthorsson 27', Jonasson 90'+3')

31 May
FRANCE vs Serbia in Reims

1 June
Austria vs UKRAINE in Innsbruck

2 June
ENGLAND vs Belgium in London

5 June
SWEDEN vs Serbia in Solna
FRANCE vs Estonia in Le Mans
Turkey vs UKRAINE in Ingolstadt (AUT)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Interesting games here.

Wonder how Rodgson will field England for the game against Norway. Maybe he will test a team without Rooney since that will be his reality in a first moment, on the other hand it is important for him to start with a victory to boost the teams morale after the Capello departure.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Looks like Carroll is going to start at the Euros
Probably since Hodgson like to play with a typical number 9 and he is the only one in the squad.
The question is if he will be left alone upfront or there will be another forward with him.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sweden cruising over Iceland, 2-0 after only 15'. The second goal deserves to be seen as Zlatan just did a very naughty thing to that poor Icelandic RB. :eekani:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sweden beat Iceland 3-2, just like France, but unlike the French they dominated the whole game and scored some really nice goals. Check Zlatan's assist on the second one...

ziuHV9hzm2k​

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I'm looking at that England squad and it looks pretty average. How anyone can say they rate this England team above Sweden let alone France is spectacularly blind or bias.

I would not be surprised if they end up bottom of this group.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I fancy Ukraine and also Poland to advance through their groups.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts