* Romania
* Russia
* Turkey
* Croatia/Hungary
* Poland/Ukraine

Here's the article from UEFA.com..

Eight bids for EURO 2012
Tuesday, 1 February 2005

Ten national football associations, involved in eight bids, are starting out on the road which they hope will end in them hosting the UEFA European Championship finals in 2012.

Solo and joint bids
UEFA said that the associations of Azerbaijan, Greece, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey had informed the European governing body that they were interested in making solo bids for the event, while Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are going for joint bids. The deadline for registering interest was yesterday.

Previous experience
Several of the associations have previously applied to stage a EURO final round, while in Italy's case, they hosted the 1980 finals, and an abridged final phase from the semi-finals onwards in 1968.

EURO 2008
Greece - the reigning European champions - and Turkey made a joint bid for UEFA EURO 2008™. Croatia did likewise - with Bosnia-Herzegovina - while Hungary and Russia were solo bidders. In December 2002, UEFA chose Austria and Switzerland as joint hosts of EURO 2008™.

Two phases
The bidding process for EURO 2012 has been split into two phases, as a means of saving resources for UEFA and the bidding associations. The first phase will lead to the pre-selection of three bidders, and the final decision on the host association will follow in a second phase.

December 2006 decision
The first phase will see candidates present their initial bid dossiers by 21 July 2005. Consequently, the UEFA Executive Committee will draw up a shortlist of three candidates in November 2005, and following a period where the candidates can fine-tune their bids, the Executive Committee will take the final decision on the hosts of EURO 2012 in December 2006.

Two-step procedure
"We will give [the bidders] all the material to prepare the first stage of the bid," UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson told uefa.com as the first major EURO 2012 deadline expired. "We now have a similar system as they have for the Olympic Games – a two-step bidding procedure.

Six-year preparations
"The candidates will have to return to UEFA with the necessary guarantees and make their proposals, and then there will be a first evaluation, followed by a second step, to enable a final decision to be taken in 2006. That means that the preparations for 2012 will last for six years.

Wishing candidates well
"We are delighted with the level of interest shown by our member associations in hosting the final tournament of the European Football Championship 2012, and wish all candidates the best in their work over the next few months."

Bidding requirements
The detailed bid requirements will be sent to the interested associations on 8 February and will be published on uefa.com.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Do Azerbijan even meet the stadium requirements? Sry if they do but im really not too hot on azerbijani football

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Croatia/Hungary
Italy

I hope one of this wins. They are in the middle of Europe afterall. And i prefer Croatia and Hungary.

But I don't think any of the others fully meet the requirements except for a few stadiums
That is true, but till 2012 is a long way, and they will probably build new stadiums just a couple of months before EURO. With sponsors money and with huge debts.

I think only Azerbaijan has no chances to get it, others have more or less equall chances. That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Greece or Italy

Italy because of their 'great' stadiums
Greece because they have the stadiums already built from the olympics

I'm not 100% sure but isn't Turkey on the edge of the Eurasian plate?? Making it a hazard say if there is an earthquake or are the stadiums quite well built??

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think it should go to Croatia/Hungary. That would be good for them, Italy doesn't need it, and Greece just hosted the olympics. It would be good tourism for Croatia and Hungary, and they are 2 countries that are trying to grow financially and improve tourism.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
lol ............imagine Azerbeijan gonna host the eurocup 2012 .Its like San Marino hosting a eurocup :eek:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Greece :thmbup:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I'd fancy the joint bids (Croatia/Hungary, Poland/Ukraine) and Russia. I also think Turkey could make a nice tournament aswell.

Italy have hosted a tournament still too recently (WC90) and Greece have had the Olympic games so I disagree with these hosting a tournament right now.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
I'm not a big fan of joint bids because it means one less team gets to qualify. And we've already had 2 joints bids in the last (& future) 3 tournaments. And precisely because Greece has had the Olympic games (and clubs are building some new stadia) they would be a safe bet, they have all the infrastructure in place. Besides it's all the way in 2012. Russia too would be good, they have many cities with large stadia (just need renovation), people with money in their football, and a football crazy audience.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
i also think that croatia/hungary is good chice for that, but totally unreal is expect that we can won this fight againist nations like azerbaijan :thmbdown: ...

and i think that after some pisctures of croatia... everyone will be for cro/hun bid... :cool: :jester: :tongue:

in croatia stadiums for that event... with renovation...
Split (poljud=40 000) crazy fans
Zagreb (maximir=45 000 - 50 000)
Osijek (gradski vrt=30 000)
Rijeka (rujevica=35 000)
...and 4stdaiums in hungary

my black andrija... in case that azerbaijan is orthodox country, for you azerbaijan will be perferct choice with a great and crazy footbal audience... azer rulzzz :undecide: :veiled:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Catholic_PRIDE said:
i also think that croatia/hungary is good chice for that, but totally unreal is expect that we can won this fight againist nations like azerbaijan :thmbdown: ...

and i think that after some pisctures of croatia... everyone will be for cro/hun bid... :cool: :jester: :tongue:

in croatia stadiums for that event... with renovation...
Split (poljud=40 000) crazy fans
Zagreb (maximir=45 000 - 50 000)
Osijek (gradski vrt=30 000)
Rijeka (rujevica=35 000)
...and 4stdaiums in hungary

my black andrija... in case that azerbaijan is orthodox country, for you azerbaijan will be perferct choice with a great and crazy footbal audience... azer rulzzz :undecide: :veiled:
How is Poljud going to add more seats? I don't see how.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Catholic_PRIDE said:

Thanks for being sooo objective :rolleyes: Ukraine is another Orthodox country yet I already said that I'm not a fan of so many joint bids being put in. I also don't think that countries which have hosted the event before should host this one...Romania is also orthodox yet I haven't mentioned them (I think they simply don't have the cash). So please, read the post before you read the poster's name :rolleyes:

I missed Turkey up on that list, they would not be a bad choice either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think Croatia/Hungary....or Poland/Ukraine or Russia will be good choices. Personally I like the Joint bid idea. It allows smaller undeveloped countries a chance. It becomes boring if it's held in the same location every few years.

Croatia/Hungary 2012 :thmbup:

·
Registered
69,461 Posts
I will support Croatia/Hungary 2012 but it will probably go to Greece which is my thinking. I seriously hope its not Russia or Azerbaijan, who the hell wants to go there? :pp

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Hajduk man why do you hate Russia so much? Comes out in like your every 5th post.

Personally I like the Joint bid idea. It allows smaller undeveloped countries a chance.
I agree that it does give smaller countries a chance but I don't like every other Euro being a joint bid, let alone 2 in a row. We had Holland/Belgium in 2000, we will have Austria/Switzerland in 2008. So in 2012 we should have a single country host it.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
Thanks for being sooo objective :rolleyes: Ukraine is another Orthodox country yet I already said that I'm not a fan of so many joint bids being put in. I also don't think that countries which have hosted the event before should host this one...Romania is also orthodox yet I haven't mentioned them (I think they simply don't have the cash). So please, read the post before you read the poster's name :rolleyes:

I missed Turkey up on that list, they would not be a bad choice either.
ok... ukraine is not orthodox but who cares... :undecide:

go go go cro/hun... :strong:

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
I will support Croatia/Hungary 2012 but it will probably go to Greece which is my thinking. I seriously hope its not Russia or Azerbaijan, who the hell wants to go there? :pp
How many stadiums does freakin Azerbaijan have??? and no way would i like to see a Euro tourney in Russia its just so far away and there stadiums are crap they all pretty much look like olympic style stadiums...

this logo looks sweet :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 226 Posts