Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Well. I predicted a win against Swiss and I still think we are far better than them. We beat them 2-1, despite all the negative conditions. Now, Czechs are a different story. This smells like a draw, but we do have some talent that they simply don't have. Arda and Nihat for example. Even tough Nihat didn't show much. Anyway, I just hope we play 4-4-2. Nihat and Tuncay up front. Most of you were criticizing Tuncay, and yes, he had some stupidness in him, but his work rate and a bit of class he has makes him good in my eyes. Semih can get in from the bench, if things go wrong. Arda should play. Aurelio is a beast and I liked Mehmet Topal as well. But Aurelio is really a class act. On the right side, Kazim didn't do it, Gokdeniz as well ( poor pitch being the reason most def ). So let us try Sabri?

Servet and Balta were decent. Balta needs to attack more ( wich he did, 2nd half vs. Swiss ). I wish Emre Gungor plays. I mean, he is better than Asik or Zan. But, he probably won't.

I'm tired of writing. I am expecting a draw, or a narrow Turkey win, because of the talent ( technically gifted players ).

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Turkey and the Czechs -

Against Czechoslovakia in official matches (WC/EC qualifiers) they are 5-1-0.
Since the independence, Turkey met four times, all friendlies.
1-4 in '94, 0-3 in '96, 0-4 in '03 and 2-2 in '06 (U.Karan scored two goals after 88').
That was then, this is now, hopefully.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Mehmet Topal was not even decent today, his first two touches on the ball created two good swiss chances. Mehmet Topal should not be considered for this game, let's start with the same lineup we started with today. We actually got a lot of movement which looked real nice for a change.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Hope we will wear the red shirts now.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Mehmet Topal was not even decent today, his first two touches on the ball created two good swiss chances. Mehmet Topal should not be considered for this game, let's start with the same lineup we started with today. We actually got a lot of movement which looked real nice for a change.
I wouldn't mind having Semih start. He deserves it, but who do you replace? lol.

Topal was OK.

In general i like this line-up. Our defense is shit no matter what so we might as well keep our offensive options strong.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
4-4-2 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Tuncay. He is one of my favorite players, but he has been completely useless in our two first matches.
I like Tuncay too, but a lot of those plays were ridiculous. But you don't want to sit him on the account that he'll have one of those crazy games where he's all over the field and scoring goals too.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Let's hope the pitch is a bit better for this match. I think this lineup could work well against the Czechs...assuming the Turks didn't lose another 2 players to injury tonight :(

Volkan
Hamit -- Emre G -- Servet -- Hakan B
Aurelio -- Emre B
Gokdeniz - - - - - - Arda
Nihat -- Semih

·
Master Debater
20,731 Posts
Let's hope the pitch is a bit better for this match. I think this lineup could work well against the Czechs...assuming the Turks didn't lose another 2 players to injury tonight :(

Volkan
Hamit -- Emre G -- Servet -- Hakan B
Aurelio -- Emre B
Gokdeniz - - - - - - Arda
Nihat -- Semih
That is a very good lineup except I'd still play Tuncay over Gokdeniz. I know Tuncay's been bad but I still have faith in him.

BTW I'm pretty sure Emre B. won't be ready and might actually be out for the whole tourny. So the real question is who do we replace him with?

·
Master Debater
20,731 Posts
Yildiray!!!
No wait.. NURI!!!!!!!!!

Oh... wait a minute :mad: :scream:
Wait a second how could we ever forget Mehmet Topal. He's one of the best creative midfielders Turkey has had in years. Basturk who. lol

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I don't understand you guys. Topal played VERY well tonight. He had 1-2 mistakes at the start, but later he was very good defensively.That is what is expected of him. He is 21 year old who has 0 experience on this level and plays in the crucial part of the field. Your being too harsh. Plus, Aurelio had much more effect while attacking, and you can simply thank Topal for that. I am sure if Topal gets more time, in few years, we will be watching him in some of the elite clubs in the world. But, I don't want him over Emre or Aurelio, yet.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
The Czech's lack a leader in midfield. This would've been Rosicky's tournament but he was injured. Nedved & Poborsky have retired from the team, and there's no one left to step up and take control.

Still a threat, but they're not as threatening as in the past, as indicated by all those friendly matches.

Scoring will be hard but someone will pull something out of somewhere. Keeping a cleansheet is a must.

Topal didn't play VERY well, he just didn't play poorly.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
You WILL win this game! Have faith!

·
Master Debater
20,731 Posts
I don't understand you guys. Topal played VERY well tonight. He had 1-2 mistakes at the start, but later he was very good defensively.That is what is expected of him. He is 21 year old who has 0 experience on this level and plays in the crucial part of the field. Your being too harsh. Plus, Aurelio had much more effect while attacking, and you can simply thank Topal for that. I am sure if Topal gets more time, in few years, we will be watching him in some of the elite clubs in the world. But, I don't want him over Emre or Aurelio, yet.
That statment I made was no direspect to Topal but a pot shot at Fatih Terim.

He takes 4 defensive midfielders to the squad but then claims there is no room for Basturk a true number 10.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
I just watched the Portugal - Czech Rep. match replay, and I have to say the Czechs were quite good.

Unlike us, they're not a team that likes to hold possession through the midfield, so the fact that Portugal had 60%+ possession against them just like they did against us is pretty deceiving. The Czech midfield didn't give Moutinho or Deco the same amount of space to manoeuvre, they shut them down pretty well.

The most worrying and most promising thing is their right flank. Positive is that their right back looks susceptable and Arda could have him for dinner. The negative is that Sionko is strong down that same flank, and Baros (if he plays against us) also drifts in through the right. Hakan Balta has been far from impressive so far, and it's a worrying sign.

1 - 20 of 521 Posts