Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 684 Posts

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so our first match is against Portugal in 18 days, thought I'd open a match thread for this to get the ball rolling and all of us excited for Euro 2008! It'll be Arda vs. C. Ronaldo on the flanks... be interesting if they're playing the same side.

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
welll, even if they arent, then it would be quaresma against arda which would be just as exciting. :D

·
19,147 Posts
oh and of course, the unbelievable sabri against ronaldo or quaresma will be very interesting to watch as well...

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Difficult match to start everything off.

Portugal's biggest threat in my opinion is their ability to fluently change the tempo and width of the game. They have very accomplished wingers, Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma... and are able to exploit literally most wing-backs and defenders in the world.

However, many teams may focus too much on their strengths and forget the fact that they have guys like Simao, Deco, Petit and Nuno Gomes who are always a threat when given the opportunity.

Deco and his behaviour lately with Barcelona is not very promising in terms of form and attitude, but this could be a tournament where he wants to prove his worth once more and solidify a transfer out of Barcelona.

Overall the team is quite excellent on the attacking front, defensively I'd have to say they are probably decent too.

Ferreira hasn't played as much under Avram Grant but he's one of Portugal's better defenders.

Bosingwa, the naturalized player from Congo was just transferred to Chelsea in a huge transfer. He will probably come out in this tournament on all fronts to prove his worth the Chelsea and their fans.

Miguel is decent, has figured in the first 11 often on Valencia.

Carvalho has been simply excellent for Chelsea this season.

Meira is decent as well.

It'll be a tough match, if we can contain their attack and exploit their holes in the midfield and finish the opportunities we find, we may well beat Portugal, but the odds are in their favour for this one.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Once again, as most of us know, Turkey's attack is probably our strongest point. Our defense is just a class below most of the big European teams, and we will need to be REALLY careful on how we approach other strong attacking teams.

Judging by history, Terim has the ability to field a team that can competently execute a counter-attacking style of play against dangerous offensive minded teams like Portugal. We've seen it in Galatasaray and their run to UEFA, we've seen it time to time with his spell under Fiorentina, and believe it or not with Turkey as well. Utilizing guys like Arda, Tuncay, Gokdeniz - particularly fast players, on the counter would probably be the best bet in developing chances against Portugal.

Mehmet Aurelio is probably going to have the biggest weight on his shoulders, and knowing his current situation with Fenerbahce, he is probably thinking about showing himself off after his Champions League campaign to Europe once more and maybe get himself a bigger transfer.

Whoever Terim chooses to be our centre backs, and that could be literally anybody at this point, he needs to make sure they understand that all of these guys cannot commit to tackling (sliding challenge in particular) against a team like Portugal. The second you go in for a challenge and don't dispose possession of the ball, they are all TOO SLOW to make up for it, Portugal will kill us if these happen too often. Guys like Servet and Emre Asik need to be available back there as much as possible and only make tackles if its absolutely necessary, but in the mean time they need to focus on swaying away attackers from advancing deep into our half.

in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dont care where they are, on the field, but arda, yildiray, and nihat need to start.

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Cenk makes very good points and is spot on with it. We'll probably be lining up that weird 4-5-1 system Terim seems to like with one striker up front and yes, I hope Nihat is the top of that pile and not Semih.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Well our strongest link in the wingers for sure...we can even play with Ronaldo behind the striker with nanni and quaresma in wings in case we realy are desperate to have a goal.

Our weakest link is the left back for sure,paulo ferreira who is a natural right back will play there,Moron Scolari didn't call Caneira.:rollani::rollani:

And of course who have a average striker in Hugo Almeida and Postiga and Nuno Gomes are poor and out of form.

Deco also not at his best but i expect him to stand up in the euro and we have hopes on Moutinho who might start.

Our best keeper is Qium but will not play because Ricardo is Scolari"son".......with a better coach we would have a better squad in this euro.

Ricardo
Bosingwa
Carvalho
Pepe
Ferreira
Veloso
Moutinho
Deco
Ronaldo
Quaresma
Almeida.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Key is defending. If we dont make dumb mistakes, we may snatch a narrow win. Hopefully Hamit and Gökhan will be ready for this game. If not god help us.

Also Zan's health is questionable. Did he play in the Slovakia game? The guy's been playing injured pretty much the whole season due to Beşiktaş's lack of defenders.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Hamit says he probably will not play at full level so why even bring him, I say kick his ass off and bring in Mehmet Topuz. Every single one of our defenders suck except Gohan Gonul.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
He (Zan) played full minutes. The NT staff want to keep secrecy on this, but the contracted US company is doing some miracles. Until he gets another knock, that is.

I.Kas will be effective against Portugal in the absence of Hamit. He's strong and fast. Of course, he may see early double cautions, but remaining two matches are more important and Sabri must not be risked...

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Once again, as most of us know, Turkey's attack is probably our strongest point. Our defense is just a class below most of the big European teams, and we will need to be REALLY careful on how we approach other strong attacking teams.
Agree with the most you say here, except that about our attack. Our strongest point is our attacking midfielders, unfortunatly we have the same problem as Portugal when it comes to Strikers, we do not posses a player who can play "one lone gunmen" at the front. Semih is the closest one, but still i am not totally sure about him in this level. As for our defence, as long as we play defensively our defence probably will be able to keep it stable. But i do not trust in them when we have to move forward our team, they just lack the speed&position.

Mehmet Aurelio is probably going to have the biggest weight on his shoulders, and knowing his current situation with Fenerbahce, he is probably thinking about showing himself off after his Champions League campaign to Europe once more and maybe get himself a bigger transfer.
Yeah, he is the best we have right now. It will be hard to replace him if he gets injured/bans...

As for the team mentality, i say play defensive, wait for the portugiese to get frustated and counter-attack. Thats the best we can hope for. But this game will be extreemly difficult IMO. We didnt have any chance against Portugal even when we had our best team ever back in EC1996&EC2000 and if you ask me, Portugal of today is even beter of Portugal of Rui Costa, Figo etc.

We should aim for a draw in this game, hope for a win against Czhecs and aim for a win against the Swizz. If we get at least 4-5 points from these three games we will be in the finals. I personally believe that Portugal will beat all three teams. The key game wil be agianst the Czhecs, as long as we wont loose we can be hopefull...

·
19,147 Posts
i dont think that our team in 1996 and 2000 was better than this one tbh.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Well...
If we could time travel Bulent Korkmaz - Sukur - Tugay ....
We would def be the favorites in this group, alongside Portugal.

·
19,147 Posts
hakan sükür never was as good as nihat is. bülent was decent at best and tugay is the same.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I think Sukur was 2 class better than Nihat or any other Turkish striker ever.
Just because he didn't manage to fit in abroad doesn't mean that he was a 'decent' player.

And are you seriously comparing Korkmaz to Servet or Zan? Or Tugay to who actually?

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
hakan sükür never was as good as nihat is. bülent was decent at best and tugay is the same.
I disagree with the Tugay statement, but that might be my blind love for that guy :heart: I think he's a legend.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Come to think of it..
Rustu was impossibly great back then...
Hakan Unsal was far better than both Ugur or Balta..

Don't know.. I think 2002 squad was the best tough.

1 - 20 of 684 Posts