Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my Portugese friends.... I was wondering where I could find some stats on the tournament this past summer. I don't mean football stats, but financial and attendence stats.... I don't know if it is possible to get them, or how, so I figured I would ask you guys and hope for the best.

Some general questions I have are:

How much did it cost total to host the games?

How much income do you recieve from it?

How much did the staduims alone cost?

What were the tourism figures and attendences to the tournament?

Did it help boost the cities economies?

Questions like those.... Because we are preparing a bid in 2012, and I know the two won't be the same, but I would like to have an idea as to what to expect.

Any idea where I can find this info? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Best bet would be the UEFA website and look into the dropdown menu and look for Euro 2004, since they did a lot of news regarding things like that. Another site is in Portuguese, but it has an english option, www.portugal2004.pt.

The attendances were all nearly 80% with the lower attendances being for the games of nations that no one really showed up to cheer on. I think the lowest attendance was about 20,000 in a 30,000 stadium. But yeah, just about every other game was nearly 99% full.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. :)

I was doing some research and I thought I came across a total cost number... some 611 Million Euros for the whole thing. Thats not so bad.... from our point of view anyway. The Olympics cost us 10 billion. lol (better to laugh than to cry....)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Olympics included 6 stadiums if i'm correct but a lot of other Sport Infraestructures, it was normal to be more expensive than the euro, but 10 million€ seems too expensive IMO too :eekani:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is to expensive. And it was 10 Billion. The things that screwed us were 3 fold. 1) Security. The original security budget was something like 140 million.... in the end it was 1.7 BILLION. Our security bill was almost as much as it cost Sydney total to host their games.... Another was ofcourse the delays, which needed to be rushed and accelerated cost. (our fault for that). And 3rd was infastructure. New Metro, tram, Highways, buildings reparied, new Airport etc... Athens was completely changed - and it cost alot of money. (at least, that part was worth it)

Ofcourse we needed alot of stadiums/arenas also. 5 football stadia + Olympics stadium, like 6-7 small arenas, and all of those other sports (shooting, kayak etc etc etc)

It cost alot of damn money.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
That much money on security? Yet Vanderlei was still taken down by a priest... I'll tell ya what-ya got ripped off. :D

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, we can stop every terrorist group in the world from Greek to Bin Laden but what do you know... some drunk Irish preist gets the better of us. lol I guess he wasn't scared off by the guns and missles that cost us billions. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts