Group 7
Turkey, England, Slovakia, Macedonia FYR, Liechtenstein

Group 8
Belgium, Croatia, Bulgaria, Estonia, Andorra

Group 9
Italy, Yugoslavia, Finland, Wales, Azerbaijan

Group 10
Rep Ireland, Russia, Switzerland, Georgia, Albania

In Group 1 France is the obvious favorite and they will win it, with Slovenia and Israel fighting for the playoffs. Both teams look very even on the paper, though Slovenia made an amazing progress in the last 2 years. Cyprus might be an outsider.
I rate Group 2 as the toughest one. One can't tell who's gonna win it, though i'd put my money on Romania. with Iordanescu back in charge they can't afford themselves another failure. Denmark is always a scary and solid side, Norway will have to do better than in their horrible WC campaign...some great games awaiting us. in Group 3 Holland and the Czech Rep. will fight for the first place with Holland winning it. i don't think Austria can do much this time. In Group 4 again, two clear favorites to win the first place but i would go for Sweden, just a feeling i have. Poland will go to the playoffs. Group 5 is a walk in the park for Germany, Scotland will go to the playoffs. in Group 6 i would go for Spain with Greece makes it to the playoffs. its about time they start catching up with their clubs level, they can't underperform forever. Group 7 is England's, but i wouldn't write off Turkey's chances, depends on their WC record - it might give them a boost, and it would also be a very tensed game, see UEFA Cup semis 2 years ago for details. Group 8 is a replay of the WC qualifying game between Croatia and Belgium, and i'd say Croatia will win it - but again, Belgium could do it, depends on both teams' WC record. a Croatian failure should make a good service to the Belgians hopes. Italy is supposed to win Group 9 - BUT Yugoslavia is surely capable of beating them on their day, and Group 10 is a tight game between Russia and Ireland, but i'd give Ireland the advantage. :)

I am not trying to pretend expert, these are just my opinions and anyone is welcome to response. :)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I cannot say I'm disapointed in the groupings. We have a good team in our group for time in the past 2 qualifying groups we've been in (Ukraine). I don't know much about Armenia or Northern Ireland, but I know Greece has a long history of great players and a terrible national team, which I can see when they lost at home to Albania.

My Predictions here:
Group 1: France, playoff runner up slovenia

Group 2: Denmark, playoff runner up Romania(Close though)

Group 3: Holland, playoff runner up Czech Republic

Group 4: Poland, playoff runner up Sweden

Group 6: Spain, playoff runner up Ukraine

Group 7: Turkey, playoff runner up England(also close)

Group 8: Croatia, playoff runner up Belgium

Group 9: Italy, playoff runner up Yugoslavia but Finland will push

Group 10: Russia, playoff runner up Rep.of Ireland

Now the surprise group: Group 5: Germany, runner up Iceland!
They have a really good squad. They might sound like there from a place that doesn't have a soccer field, but trust me, Gudjonson from Chelsea alone is enough to take them through this group. I am a huge fan of his, and hopefully they could even put Germany to the play-offs:angel:

I am also surprised nobody else has commented yet:depress:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
SPANIARD said:
I cannot say I'm disapointed in the groupings. We have a good team in our group for time in the past 2 qualifying groups we've been in (Ukraine). I don't know much about Armenia or Northern Ireland, but I know Greece has a long history of great players and a terrible national team, which I can see when they lost at home to Albania.

My Predictions here:
Group 1: France, playoff runner up slovenia

Group 2: Denmark, playoff runner up Romania(Close though)

Group 3: Holland, playoff runner up Czech Republic

Group 4: Poland, playoff runner up Sweden

Group 6: Spain, playoff runner up Ukraine

Group 7: Turkey, playoff runner up England(also close)

Group 8: Croatia, playoff runner up Belgium

Group 9: Italy, playoff runner up Yugoslavia but Finland will push

Group 10: Russia, playoff runner up Rep.of Ireland

Now the surprise group: Group 5: Germany, runner up Iceland!
They have a really good squad. They might sound like there from a place that doesn't have a soccer field, but trust me, Gudjonson from Chelsea alone is enough to take them through this group. I am a huge fan of his, and hopefully they could even put Germany to the play-offs:angel:

I am also surprised nobody else has commented yet:depress:
U rhink Turkey can beat England to first place?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Most definetly. Sweden did it in the last qualifying campaign, and Turkey is very diffucult to beat at home and even away. I think the group will come down to those 2 meetings, so really, I see the whole group as the England vs. Turkey game because there is no way, well in my eyes anyway that they can beat Turkey in Istanbul. No way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts