2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group 4:

Poland
Sweden
Hungary
Latvia
San Marino

I think this is probably the best we could have done. Taking nothing away from Sweden, but i'd much rather have them in our group than Italy, Holland, France, Spain.

If we are good enough, we should get first, and at the very least the play-off round.

Sweden will be tough though. Gonna be fun. Lets take Sweden out this time!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, Barlinek, it seems to best that we could hope for. Somehow that group reminds me of our WC qualifying group (a strong Scandinavian team (Norway-Sweden), a possible Eastern European dark horse team (Belorus-Hungary), a former Soviet republic, capable of stealing a point (Armenia-Latvia). I just hope there is no letting down of the guard by the Polish team after a successful World Cup!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
once again we got a a very even group just like in WC qualifying, im not expecting sweden to pull a norway and completely flop and im sure hungary and latvia will be competitive, as for san marino anything less than six goals is a disspaointment. :D but this time the pressure will be on us we are gonna be favoured to finish second and maybe even first so lets hope we can live up to the expectations.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya i know what you mean in regards to the 6 goals. I can't remember the last time we scored that many. Must of been in the early 80's. It would be nice to see.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
A very, very good draw, no doubt about it :)

Thank God we don't have to travel to places like Georgia, Amenia or Azerbaijan this time :D

Sweden will be hard to beat, they always are... But we're absolutely capable of taking the 1st spot :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am also happy with the draw. Sweden are the favourites though, they are a very strong side with one of the best strikers in Henrik Larsson, a very good defender Partick Andersson at Barcelona, and a good mid-fielder Frederik Ljungberg at Arsenal. They will be difficult opponents, but i do think we can beat them if we play our best football. We have to get revenge from the last European Cup where they knocked us out :).

Hungary is an ok team, capable of playin good football as well. Gabor Kiraly is a very good keeper playing at Hertha.

Latvia, well, i think we will manage with them :D.

San Marino, like Marek stated...anything less than 6 goals is a dissapointment :D :D :D.

I predect the outcome of the group like this-

1. Sweden
2. Poland
----------------
3. Hungary
4. Latvia
5. San Marino

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Some interesting headlines about the draw from Poland and our opponents...

Poland-
Poles feeling lucky after Sweden draw

World Cup hopefuls Poland were delighted by the qualifying draw for Euro 2004, despite being pitched in with recent bogey side Sweden.

"We were lucky," said coach Jerzy Engel. "I wanted to get Sweden because in the World Cup qualifiers we beat Norway and I think Norway are better than Sweden.

"I was worried the top seed we might get would be Spain, but fortunately that didn't happen," he told the Polish Press Agency.

Hungary, Latvia and San Marino were also drawn in Group 4, but clearly Poland and Sweden are the big two.

The Swedes will also be buoyed by their two victories over the Poles on their way to Euro 2000. They won that qualifying group, with England second and Poland third.

Poland, however, have not looked back since Engel replaced Janusz Wojcik as coach and are confident they can follow up their World Cup qualification success.

"Maybe we are not favourites but I am optimistic," said Kaiserslautern defender Tomasz Klos.

Schalke star Tomasz Waldoch added: "We have a good chance, but we must be careful. Sweden beat us twice last time, and it would be great to take our revenge."

Sweden-
Allback issues Poland warning

Sweden forward Marcus Allback has singled out Poland as the biggest threat to Euro 2004 qualification after the pair were grouped with Hungary, Latvia and San Marino in the draw on Friday. "Poland did extremely well by qualifying for the World Cup," he said.

Most Swedish players were relieved when the draw had been made after the difficult World Cup draw in which Sweden ended up with Argentina, England and Nigeria.

And Heerenveen forward Marcus Allback said: "Poland sounds like the hardest team of them all.

"But you have to say that this group is a lot easier than that we had for the World Cup qualification," he told fotbolldirekt.com

Sweden then had to negotiate a group consisting of Turkey, Slovakia and Macedonia FYR and Allback is confident that Sweden have a good chance of qualifying this time around.

"But the more I think about Poland I have to say that they are a dangerous side," Allback added.

Stabaek midfielderTobias Linderoth, meanwhile was also happy with the draw.

"It's a good group but Poland will be our most difficult opponents. We should be at least second in the group. We are normally good against "bad" teams so we should win against Latvia and San Marino", he said.

Danish TV, meanwhile, wished that Denmark had been drawn in Sweden's group after being grouped with Romania, Norway, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Luxembourg.

But Sweden centre-back Kleber Saarenpaa, playing his club football with AaB in Denmark, said: "They said we were drawn in a 'dream' group but it would have been fun to have been with Denmark because then we could have showed them how good we are."

Hungary-
Hard work is answer for Gellei

Hungary coach Imre Gellei claimed the draw for Euro 2004 had given his side a 'realistic' chance of qualifying.

"Obviously Sweden and Poland have made it to the World Cup, but I believe we can go through with hard work," he said.

"We have a realistic chance of qualifying but we need good preparation and much hard work to achieve that," he added, after hearing his side place in Group 4, along with San Marino and Latvia.

Meanwhile, Hungary's technical manager Zoltan Magyar told onefootball.com: "Generally, I don't think it is a bad draw, but Poland and Sweden are good sides and we won't take the other two easily either.

"The chance is there for us to grab first or second place."

Magyar also revealed that the draw with Sweden and Latvia had not been entirely unexpected. "I dreamt we'd got these two countries the night before the draw," he said.

Hungary will use their Spring programme to prepare for the qualifiers.

Croatia and the Czech Republic are among their opponents, while later in August Spain will visit Budapest for a match in honour of Ferenc Puskas' 75th birthday.

Latvia-
Starkovs upbeat about Latvia's chances

Latvia coach Aleksandrs Starkovs believes his side should not go into the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign considered as underdogs.

Latvia have been drawn in Group 4 along with Sweden, Poland, Hungary and San Marino.

"There are no strong favourites in this group," Starkovs said. "That means that we have a chance to take a points in every game at home and away and we will go for that.

"Of course, Sweden and Poland have strong squads. They deserved their places in the World Cup finals. Hungary have a good football history and we should always remember our crucial draw with San Marino in Riga last year.

"The draw is also good for the fans, because Sweden and Poland are very close to Latvia. It will be too much to promise that we will qualify for Euro 2004, but we can assure them that we will fight for the ticket to Portugal and that we will be a hard nut to crack for every higher ranked team in every game."

Vitalijs Astafjevs, the Bristol Rovers defender and Latvia captain, added: "Our group is not as strong as it was in qualification for the 2002 World Cup (Belgium, Croatia, Scotland and San Marino). All the teams are good, of course, but they aren't from the elite of European football.

"We have to achieve much better results than we did in qualification for the World Cup," he added.

"The squad is experienced enough and the key players know each other very well. We have a scoring leader in Marians Pahars from Southampton. I promise, Latvia will go for the win in every game and fight for every point. There is no reason to expect any gifts from us."

-Latvia have good chances to qualify in Euro 2004, says coach

Latvia national team and Skonto head coach Aleksandr Starkov shared opinions on Euro 2004 draw at a press-conference, following CIS tournament semifinal match with Dinamo Kiev.
"I think we have good chances to qualify. I don't consider Poland to be serious rivals despite Ukarine had difficulties with them. I believe we can have troubles with the group's outsiders San Marino, as the Latvia national team former coach Harry Johnson was set to quit the team after a showdown with a team like San Marino.
"I think Sweden will be the group's favorites," revealed Starkov.

It seems like they all think they can qualify :D. (I know they all have to keep their hopes up, even Latvia :) )

·
Registered
57,322 Posts
hey, my polish friends,

first of all, congratulations to your easy group.

however, this time we managed finally not to be with romania in a group, but i think we will have a hard time with your squad.

hopefully, hungarians will do a better job than in the recent campaigns and , together with poland, will have a nice and fair struggle for 1st place.
for this, both our teams will have to kick the sweds out, and especially our team has to show big improvements for that.

would be nice if there are two ee teams on the top positions, like
1.poland
2.hungary
or vice versa;)
BTW, our olympic team atlanta '96 kicked the sweds out of the race on the way to atlanta games and now there are a couple of players of thnat generation in our team (like the central midfielder Krisztian Lisztes of werder bremen)

S

·
0 Posts
sanyi,

stop dreaming, there is no reason to do so!:depress:

it will be like this

1.poland
2.sweden
3.latvia
4.hungary
5.san marino

just the same procedure as every time!:depress:

good luck to Poland, though, at least they represent East Europe:)

S

·
0 Posts
I will probably go out to the magyar-lengyel match in Budapest wearing the red&white of the polish colours, and cut out the green of the hungarian flag:(
can not stand those bastards any more since I have never seen
them live in some tournament(ok, except the 96 olympics),
I was too young in 86 (well, 9 years actually, but still, I did not really realize what was happening, fortunately, remember hungary-sovjetunion 0-6!)

how do you say COME ON POLAND in polskiego?

I will have to learn these words:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
POLSKA DO BOJU!!! :D

SzövKap, do u actually think that Latvia is going to finish in front of u? Wow, is hungarian football that low?!?! I think Hungary is goin to finish at least third behind Poland and Sweden first. I hope we come first though, of course :). Good luck to Hungary.

·
Registered
57,322 Posts
Kaluzny said:
POLSKA DO BOJU!!! :D

SzövKap, do u actually think that Latvia is going to finish in front of u? Wow, is hungarian football that low?!?! I think Hungary is goin to finish at least third behind Poland and Sweden first. I hope we come first though, of course :). Good luck to Hungary.
well, i guess mr szövkap is a bit more realistic than i am, but i still believe in our new nt coach, imre gellei.

we should have learned from the last 2 qualifyings:
euro 2000: 4th after slovakia
wc 2002: 4th after georgia,
so the logical continue is : euro2004 : 4th after latvia,

but i really think with our young talents we could fight with your team for 1st place.

good luck to poland (especially against sweden!)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Not really a difficult group, but still you gotta qualify. WE haven't ever done it before, and I wouldn't bet on it happeniong now against Sweden. Remember that coming 2nd best don't mean sh*t her, cause we're likely to be knocked out of the play-offs than... so are we capable of ousting Sweden?:eek: I dunno - that's the big q though:)

S

·
0 Posts
labas said:
Not really a difficult group, but still you gotta qualify. WE haven't ever done it before, and I wouldn't bet on it happeniong now against Sweden. Remember that coming 2nd best don't mean sh*t her, cause we're likely to be knocked out of the play-offs than... so are we capable of ousting Sweden?:eek: I dunno - that's the big q though:)
Yes, we really SHOULD

It is time again to be optimistic:)

We should follow the polish example, your team also sucked (sorry for this word) a long time, and qualify the first time for a tournament since 86.

But, you know, it is better to be pessimist, as there can be only positive surprises, that's the way I learned to see hungarian football, I mean, it's normal that they suck but if they win (even against Latvia) it can be like winning the WorldCup!

Poland and Hungary qualifying, what a nice dream!:) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts