Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought it would be nice to start a Euro 2004 draw thread with the draw rapidly approaching, only 3 days away.

A quick reminder:

Seedings:

Top seeds - France (holders), Sweden, Spain, Czech Republic, Germany, Romania, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Belgium, Turkey.

Second seeds - Croatia, Russia, Yugoslavia, Holland, Denmark, Poland, England, Ukraine, Slovenia, Scotland.

Third seeds - Austria, Norway, Slovakia, Israel, Switzerland, Iceland, Bulgaria, Finland, Greece, Hungary.

Fourth seeds - Cyprus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Wales, Estonia, Latvia, Northern Ireland, Georgia, Macedonia, Lithuania.

Fifth seeds - Armenia, Moldova, Albania, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta, Luxembourg, Andorra.

Who's going to lead our NT? What will our team look like? Do you guys still have faith in our team? Do you have faith in Savicevic? :D

A lot of questions. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Drulic said:
Who's going to lead our NT? What will our team look like? Do you guys still have faith in our team? Do you have faith in Savicevic? :D

A lot of questions. ;)

Whether I have faith in our team or not will depend on the decisions our coach makes (i.e the choices he makes regarding our players)..

Do I trust Dejo? Well, at this point - NO! :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Yugoslavia should beat anyone from Pots 3-5 but will have some trouble beating teams from Pots 1-2.

But with Stankovic on fire, anything can happen ;)

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
24/1/2002
Stojkoviæ: Špance bih zavio u crno!
Dragan Stojkoviæ Piksi živa legenda jugoslovenskog fudbala i èovek koji je danas na èelu fudbalskog saveza Jugoslavije pred sutrašnji žreb za Euro 2004. godine u Portugalu dao je intervju za jugoslovenske medije.

Prenosimo vam intervju iz beogradskog Veèernjeg lista Novosti.

Piksi je krenuo silovito kao što je to radio i na terenu te je odmah u izjavi za Veèernje Novosti napomenuo:

- Portugal 2004. nam je glavni prioritet nad prioritetima, oèekujem da nam se malo sreæa osmehne u žrebu a za ostalo da æemo se potruditi sami.

Koga ne bi voleo da vidi iz prvog šešira u istoj grupi legendarni kapiten plavih je podvukao:

- Francuze i Špance nikako, suviše su moæni. Španci mogu, ako treba i Nemci, dok ostali iz prve grube mogu slobodno da dodju, niko od njih nam se ne može odupreti.

Ako bude Jugoslavija igrala protiv Španije, valjda znate šta vam je èiniti?

- Navuæi æu dres i obuæi kopaèke! Uh, oni su me uvek posebno inspirisali. Špance bih zavio u crno i u ovim godinama, dao je izjavu za Veèernje Novosti Stojkoviæ.

Koga biste rado doèekali od rivala iz treæe, èetvrte i pete grupe?

- Sanjam te Slovenc. Majko mila, šta bismo im sada uradili... Ne potcenjujem, zasluženo æe da se nadju na svetskom prvenstvu, ali nikako da prežalim meèeve u Ljubljani i Beogradu. Ali koliko znam oni su u drugom šešir gde smo i mi. Sva sreæa za njim neæemo se sresti, zakljuèio je predsednik FSJ, Dragan Stojkoviæ Piksi.

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The draw is done.

Group 9
Italy
Yugoslavia
Finland
Wales
Azerbeidjan

your thoughts?

I'll comment later ;)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Heyo Serbian fans;)
SO we are in the group...
Being great Azzurri fan I still can't help supporting my NT:)
Yasha Azerbaycan!:D
But indeed I think Yugoslavia and Italia will be teams to qualify from group...
It would be really nice to see you Serbian stars in Baku:)

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Hello, Nyuka, mate.

The group does not look bad but, knowing us anything can happen...:confused: :mad: Italy is obviously the favorite, but maybe it is all for the beter.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Lightoller, Yugoslavia is one of the strongest teams in the world. And I really do respect your NT.
I have no doutb u'll be the second after AZZURRA:cool:
Whatever, AZERBAYCAN FOREVER:D

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Nyuka and welcome in the Yugo forum ;)

I think anything is possible, a strong Yugo team is able to beat any team in the world but unfortunately we don't have those days often. Still I remain positive.

Wales and Finland are tough teams, but do'able to say the least, especially Finland is tough, good defender in Hypia (spelling), some great names Litmanen, Kolkka but also new talents like Forsell.

Azerbeidjan I don't know hopefully with your help Nyuka we'll get to know the team a little better. ;)

My prediction Serbia on top. :tongue:

·
Registered
768 Posts
And they got reason to! ;) Don't get me wrong, I like Italy, but mostly for their nice jerseys which are amongst the only ones a female can wear with style :D :D Ah ok I admit, they have great players, also some younger ones. Will be tough, it's a nice group, the only team I know nothing about is Azerbaidjan so Nyuka, welcome on the board and stay a bit longer to enlighten us :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Lightoller unfortunately i cant read italian, but ill take you word for it ;)

Drulic-Kezman are going to fill the italian nets with goals!!!

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions from the FSJ, Bulatovic seems to think there are tougher as well as easier groups, he thinks we'll fight with Iatly for the first spot in the group, also very interesting group financially according to him.

Savicevic is confident in reaching the European Championship, he said a tough group, no easy opponents but do'able. And Stojkovic said the smartest thing, all will be decided on the pitch. ;)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Gvozdenovic writes off Wales and Finland

Friday 25th January 2002

Yugoslavia midfielder Ivan Gvozdenovic laughed off the threat posed by Finland, Wales and Azerbaijan in qualification for Euro 2004 after being drawn in Group 9 with Italy.

"All the other teams except Italy are OK. Italy may have an advantage over us, but you never know on the pitch," the Red Star Belgrade midfielder said.

"I think that in our group it is already known that Italy and Yugoslavia will finish first and second, all we need to know now is in what order. We must try to qualify directly."

Partizan Belgrade striker Vladimir Ivic, meanwhile, admitted that direct qualification for Euro 2004 would not be easy after his side were drawn with Italy, Yugoslavia, Finland, Wales and Azerbaijan.

"After France, I think that Italy is the most difficult opponent," he said.
"I don't even remember when we last beat them.

"We could really have had an easier draw, but what can we do now? We can probably qualify, but as runners up. I think that the chances for us to qualify directly exist, but they are very small."
----------------------------------------
big mouth :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
i hope the rest of your players arent as cocky as gozdenovic, i have a feeling finland could pose a serious threat, i recall the finns thrashed belgium not that long ago so this is definetly a team on the rise. wales could definetly steal points, this team is not as bad as there results they play tight defence and they can easily take the flow out of the game which will work in their advantage.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
it's a tough group. for the moment.
we can be as confident as gvozdenovic but in the current situation of our football...

- italy : italy is always italy : strong, hard to beat, good defense. it will be hard to score goals to them ( they generally play with 5 defenders ). they have talent in every fields. and players like del piero or totti can create danger by their own.

- finland : unpredictable team. they caused a lot of troubles to belgium, germany and england. we have to take them seriously with a lot of care and caution. for me, their level is close to the switzerland's one, even better. if we didn't suck against them in beograd we should have stolen the whole 6 pts. no underrating.

- wales : it's almost the same level as finland but they're not as good. finland are on a rising form. wales have difficulties to win at home as far as i know. they're as able of the best as the worst. in fact they look like us ;) . no underrating too.

- azerbaidjan : the weakest team. obviously. 6 pts or nothing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:mad: Reactions from the FSJ, Bulatovic seems to think there are tougher as well as easier groups, he thinks we'll fight with Iatly for the first spot in the group, also very interesting group financially according to him. :mad:

He obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

We can only compare our goalkeepers with Italian ones and we know where we are.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well, Azerbaijan is very unlucky playing away matches.
But at home we are terribly dangerous. You can ask it from Swedish, Turkish and other fans.
Especially we play well against strong teams. So I think Italy must be careful of us.
Out matches against Portugal 2 years ago proved once again that we are not so easy to be beaten at home. Portugal came here with full squad, but the only thing they managed is to make a lucki equalise in the 94' minute.
Our best player...well, doubtless Zaur Tagizade, this guy is worth seeing...
Well, guys, I think the best way to know Azeri team is to watch us, especially at home.
So let the strongest win:cool:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Group 9

Group 9 is a very interesting group. I think Finland will be able to challenge Italy for top spot in the group and I think you will be a surprise. Yugoslavia can be very good even world-class when they are playing at their best.

GO SUOMI !!! HEJA FINLAND!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are in a terrible group compared to our rivals. And that's what pisses me off the most. Slovenia are in the same group as France, but the rest of the teams are no challenge. They will get second spot for sure, and with minimal effort. Croatia has it even better. Their biggest challenge is Belgium, who they finished on top of in the world cup qualifications.

The way our football is going now, we wont beat Italy at all. Borba you made an excellent point with the goalkeepers. We don't have any world class goalies. Finland and Wales will give us some trouble just like Slovenia and Switzerland did for WC '02 and I have to say we'll be very lucky to get second spot. Lady luck just doesn't smile on Yugoslavia.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts