Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Euro 2000 is probably the greatest major tournament I have watched. Great players, good Stadia and epic matches(France-Portugal, Italy-Holland, France-Italy, Romania-England, Spain-Norway, France-Spain, Portugal-England etc. etc.) made it a memorable tournament. Do you think the current European Championship matches up with that tournament? Germany-Holland, Spain-Italy, Italy-England, Germany-Greece, England-Sweden, Portugal-Denmark have been some very good matches. We have a dream semi-final line-up with 2 pairs of historic rivals going head-to-head. The stadia have been nice too, especially, I am impressed by the Ukranian ones. Do you think that this tournament can be compared with the 2000 European championship?

·
CULT OF PERSONALITY
21,014 Posts
Dunno how great that tournament was but this tournament has been okay not exactly awesome. Only games that I really enjoyed were England-Sweden, Portugal-Denmark, Russia-Czechs and Italy-Spain. Others were okay,
But non of these games can be called classic.
So I wont say it is an ace.

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
Euro2008 was maybe slightly better than Euro2000. They both were better than Euro2012 IMO.

PS: I'm talking about the quality of the games, not about stadiums and all that stuff.

·
Administrator
52,831 Posts
04? Come on, Holland-Czechs was awesome, but besides that? Naah.

·
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ &#
4,315 Posts
For me as a supporter of Yugoslavia it was one of the most entertaining Euro I've ever watched. Those legendary matches against Spain and Slovenia I will never forget, a new record was set for fastest scoring three goals in a game. The match against Holland I won't forget either be it for different reasons :doh: Anyhow Euro2012 is very enjoyable to watch and one of the better editions, but I think I personally enjoyed Euro2000 more because at least my team was in it.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
Euro 2000 still

Let me list all of the top matches either due to drama or quality:

England vs Portugal
England vs. Romania
Yugoslavia vs Slovenia
Yugoslavia vs Spain
Belgium vs. Sweden
Czech vs France
France vs. Netherlands
Spain vs. France
Netherlands vs. Yugoslavia
Portugal vs. France
Italy vs. Netherlands
Italy vs. France final

In 2012 we have:

Russia vs. Czech
Poland vs. Russia
Spain vs Italy
England vs. Sweden
Germany vs. Holland
Holland vs Portugal
Greece vs. Germany
England vs. Italy

And that is probably being a bit generous. Have good expectations for the semi finals and final though.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Euro2008 was maybe slightly better than Euro2000. They both were better than Euro2012 IMO.

PS: I'm talking about the quality of the games, not about stadiums and all that stuff.
You just biased. Not saying its bad thing.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
It is a very interesting thread.

IMO, it is more and more difficult to compare quality because the world changes in a frenetic speed and so does football.
If we analyse the games played at late 90´s and today it is completely different.
You had more space, the teams played different formations and so on. SO naturally with the modern game it is difficult to find a great play or a player individually speaking with great skills. That is why Messi and Ronaldo are really good because is such short space they manage to do great things.

So, i could say is that for the football that is played today Euro 2012 has been a good tournament. Good level and displays. Entertaining. We should also consider that the players didn´t have vactions yet and aren´t at their best physical form (today the physical recquirement is much much bigger than 10 years ago).

·
Registered
17,517 Posts
To me the best EC ever has been 96 in England. I still remember more of it than I do of 00, 04 and 08 together. Overall I don't think there is any objective claim that one tournament is better than another.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Because you born in 1979 according to your public profile. Its a different thing if you see it live or just watch tapes/youtube comps of the tournaments you never saw live.

·
Registered
17,517 Posts
Well ok, I accept that explanation, but here is one thing I know for sure. No matter what will happen, I won't remember EC 12 as being even close to EC 96.

·
Historian
1,364 Posts
2008 doesn't come close to 2000 and will probably be the best in my book for a long time unless Italy can manage to pull this one off har har

1 - 20 of 100 Posts