Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's our new coach. He led Bari during the end of the 90's and had some success with them. He was fired from Vicenza last year.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Stats from the official site:

Eugenio Fascetti was born on the 23rd October 1938 in Viareggio. After two years spent as Fulgor Cavi Latina’s trainer (D Series), he become a professional trainer in 1977/78 and began his career in Varese where he remained five years (one relegation, and one promotion). After having coached Lecce for three years (two years in B Series, promoted in A Series in 1985/86 and relegated again the year after) he was on Lazio’s bench for two years succeeding in not relegating the first year and leading the team to promotion in A Series the year after. Once the adventure with Lazio had ended, Fascetti trained Avellino and Torino (one year with a promotion in A Series). The season 1992/93 represented a break in his career, but he remained only one year because in 1993 he confirmed his application with Lucchese where he remained for two years. After this Tuscan experience he was called to Bari by Matarrese Family: the first year he didn’t succeed in saving the team but in 1996/97 he lead the team to promotion and Bari remained in A Series for the following four years. Last seaon he was on Vicenza’s bench.
During his long career Eugenio Fascetti has collected 6 promotions, 3 relegations, 216 wins, 309 draws, 248 losses, 860 goals scored and 820 goals suffered.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good appointment i feel. I think he is the sort of manager who can produce results with limited resources. we still have to wait and see how fiorentina's finances will be planned and who will leave, but i think he is a good choice of manager for il viola.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I wish him good luck

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here's more info...

Fascetti is new Fiorentina Coach
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiorentina have confirmed that former Bari Coach Eugenio Fascetti will lead the team in Serie B next season.

The official statement came from the court-appointed administrator Enrico Fazzini, the man placed in charge of the club’s finances for the next eight months in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.

“I asked sport director Giuseppe Pavone and Giovanni Galli to hurry along the process of choosing a new Coach,” commented Fazzini, “and they suggested Fascetti.”

“I met with him this afternoon and after an in-depth discussion on the technical problems involved he accepted the job."

The Viola will be forced to sell off many of their stars in order to lower the wage bill and stave off mounting debts.

“I hope,” concluded the administrator, “that the press and fans will want to stay close to their team with the warmth and affection Fiorentina so desperately needs.”

Fascetti had been linked with the bench in the Stadio Artemio Franchi for several weeks and takes over from temporary tactician Luciano Chiarugi.

The native Tuscan will be their fifth Coach in two years after Fatih Terim, Roberto Mancini, Ottavio Bianchi and Chiarugi.

“I’d say that for a Tuscan to be in charge of Fiorentina is the ultimate honour,” said Fascetti in his opening press conference.

“I have signed a contract that brings me less wages than I had earned at Vicenza last season, but I will earn more if we achieve promotion into Serie A.”

However, the new Coach admitted that the current financial crisis means that the club may not be able to enter the Serie B Championship. Failure to balance the books would push the Viola directly into Serie D.

“Of course, if we can’t register for the new season then I’ll go on holiday by the sea. One thing is for sure,” he added, “I didn’t choose this job for the money. I have never jumped on any bandwagon, although that is a characteristic that has made life as a manager quite difficult.”

“I do confess that this is the most difficult starting position to a season that I have had in my career.”

Fascetti even cracked a few jokes when the press asked which players he hoped would stay with the debt-ridden side.

“As a start I’d be happy if we could afford a bench and a whistle for training sessions. Jokes aside, I’d like goalscorers to stick around, and I won’t add anything to that.”

The indication is clearly aimed at Enrico Chiesa, who admitted he might be willing to restart from Serie B following his devastating knee injury.

“I had a similar situation when I was at Lazio,” reveals the Coach. “In my opinion you have to sit the players down and say that whoever wants to stay can stay, whoever wants to go can go. But those who do remain must be ready for anything.”

“I just want to talk about football and do not want to let alibi’s into my squad. There was a financial crisis when I was at Verona, but we still earned promotion because we banded together.”

It certainly will be difficult for the Viola to get straight back into the top flight in their current situation.

“I expect a Serie B season that will be like warfare,” concluded Fascetti. “Let us prepare for this now as Fiorentina will be the team to beat.”

Fascetti has Coached Varese, Lecce, Lazio, Avellino, Torino, Verona, Lucchese, Bari and Vicenza.

Said to be an expert in earning promotion, he has led six teams up a division – one from Serie C1 to B and five from B to Serie A – while he has suffered three relegations.

Vicenza fired Fascetti earlier this season after less than six months in charge.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
In my opinion, Fascetti may well be a wise choice. He got a lot of stick from Bari fans, largely unfair, as he has a good record of bringing up young players and getting results with limited resources. He also has a good record of bringing relegated clubs straight back up, as he did with Bari, Verona and Lazio.

When he took over at Bari, they were rock bottom and though he couldn't save them from the drop they bounced back and for four seasons in Serie A were known as a solid, battling side with exciting young talent. The only differnece is that this time round, he is taking over at a club in truly dire straits.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Fascetti is an OLD Italian coach. He is solid and gives chances to young players, but prepare for some serious ZZZZzzzZZZzzzzZZZZ during the games. :yawn:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
ZZZZZZ? How about determined, hard-working teams that Fascetti is known for? Like I said, it's hard to see him repeating those feats with Fiorentina given the situation at the club.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts