Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great words to the kids from a wise man...

Here were smiles all round as Samuel Eto'o paid a visit to the Masia on Thursday night to meet all the youngsters who are hoping to one day become stars of the Barcelona team.

The Cameroon international went along to meet the club's up-and-coming players to talk to them about his career, his views on life and to hear what they hope to achieve. He was accompanied by his lawyer, Mr Mesalles, club director Alfons Godall and the director of the Barca Foundation, Jordi Penas.

An unforgettable moment

Eto'o arrived at 9pm to meet the 60 residents of the Masia, who were all keen to surprised to see him, as they had no idea who was coming to see them.

The Barcelona striker enjoyed a full tour of the facilities and spoke to everyone employed there including the chefs, the security guards and the other employees before he settled down to speak to the youngsters. Eto'o spoke clearly on many subjects, ranging from racism to not allowing money or reputation to change anyone, before signing copies of his book.

Money, reputation and racism

Without talking much about football, Eto'o explained how he had left Cameroon with a firm drive to become a success in Spanish football. "It was difficult, but I was sure that I would triumph here," he said. "I earnt a lot of money when I was still very young and I did not think much of it, but as I started to learn a sense of my responsbilities I realised that the most important things are your team-mates, the coach, the physiotherapists or the kit man."

Clear and direct

In very direct language, Eto'o wanted to send his message: "There are things that should never take you over, money and reputation. I try to use the reputation that I have to help other. It is very difficult to change the world, but if you can talk to people and change the opinion of maybe only two people, it is a start."

On the sporting front, Eto'o explained about the important role that Luis Aragones played in his life, how he came to sign for Barcelona and the role of Real Madrid in the transfer, but he stopped and made a clear point of talking about team-mate Andres Iniesta, who came through the Barca youth ranks and lived in the Masia. "He is on the best midfielders in the world," he explained. "He always thinks before he passes. I had only seen him two or three times before I came here, but when I arrived I was surprised how good he is."

Books for all

When he had finished talking, Eto'o gave a copy of his book 'Eto'o, raza de campeon' to everyone and signed each one. "If I give you this book it so you all have the chance to have it signed by me, but it is really just the same as if you were buying it in a bookshop," he added, before spending 15 minutes autographing each one.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess maybe, i hope one of the forum managers would move it to the article thread...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
eto'o is the man on and off field......... i still dont think he gets enough credit.. people always riding ronaldinho........ eto'o is the man of the year for barca with ease

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
KnoccOut said:
eto'o is the man on and off field......... i still dont think he gets enough credit.. people always riding ronaldinho........ eto'o is the man of the year for barca with ease
don't be a knob, most if not all Barcelona supporters admit that Ronaldinho hasn't been at his best this season for Barcelona and Eto'o amongst others have been better than him

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
killah said:
don't be a knob, most if not all Barcelona supporters admit that Ronaldinho hasn't been at his best this season for Barcelona and Eto'o amongst others have been better than him
Still, Samuel 'Pichichi' Eto'o, what a personality! It's very true that he deserves a lot more credit, I think most people that don't know much about Barça still gives most of the credit to Dinho.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and they keep on saying that he is not a world class player. I think a player should not be called a world class player only based on what he does on the pitch, he has to do something amazning on and off the pitch. Like what Eto'o always does

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
eto'o is quickly becoming my favorite man in barca at the moment. What a presence on the pitch and off, plus he snubbed real. I heart this guy.

He is equal first to ronnie for me, dont forget the great social work ronnie does as well. They are both legends, and both foreigners. This is what we need at barca. When we buy abroad, it must be for quailty.

Absolute class.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
thank you for the informative post, FC Barcelona9.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts