Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, February 14, 2005

Eto'o again set for African award

DURBAN, South Africa, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Samuel Eto'o is expected to be named African Footballer of the Year on Tuesday for the second time in a row.
The Barcelona striker is the hot favourite to pip Didier Drogba of the Ivory Coast and Nigeria captain Jay-Jay Okocha.

Eto'o will skip the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) annual gala ceremony in Durban in order to play in Tuesday's FIFA-organised benefit match for the victims of December's tsunami in south east Asia.

The 23-year-old Eto'o is to line-up in club colleague Ronaldinho's side against a team captained by European Footballer of the Year Andriy Shevchenko in the benefit game in Barcelona.

If he collects the CAF award, the Cameroon striker will become only the fourth player to win it in successive years, following Abedi Pele, George Weah and El Hadji Diouf.

Eto'o has scored 17 goals since joining Barcelona from Real Mallorca for a fee of 24 million euros ($30.86 million) last August.

For the first time, the African vote is being decided by a poll of each of the member associations of CAF.

Okocha's chances have not been helped by Nigeria's failure to vote.

CAF confirmed over the weekend that no vote had been received and Nigeria's football association president Ibrahim Galadima has promised punishment for those responsible.

Okocha, who plays for English Premier League team Bolton Wanderers, made the list of three finalists after being named the best player at the African Nations Cup finals in Tunisia.

Chelsea striker Drogba was nominated after helping his old club, Olympique Marseille, into the final of the UEFA Cup and for being named the best player in France's Ligue 1 last season.

Drogba also scored several goals as his country went to the top of their World Cup qualifying group.

Neither Drogba, also playing in the tsunami benefit match, nor Okocha are expected at the awards ceremony.

soccernet

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Well done Samuel you deserved it.

I would be dubious of anyone who can pass up the privilege of visiting the beautiful coastlines of Durban to collect such a prestigious award, I am assuming performing at the tsunami benefit is a decent enough excuse.

Well done anyhow (hope you get this message).

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
Good choice ! With his form in Barca it's :thmbup: :thmbup: :thmbup:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
who else could take it ofcourse eto

he is a gr8 player talented , v.high pace , technique ........

in my humble opinion he maybe ranked 3rd or 4th forward in the world till now after adriano,sheva,henry and maybe better than one of these but not adriano no doubt

if he finishes this season with his consistent form in la liga and cl y not he may win golden ball or sth gr8 like this

hoping this african legend can make it

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Umarnino said:
Eto'o's award is one in many to come. He's only 22/23?? And it seems like he's been playing forever. Good on ya!
True I thought the same thing. He has been around for so long but still he is very young! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
McCarthy was robbed he definitely deserved the award, i'm sorry for him to be the South African.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Well, he is a interesting character and he helped Porto on the way to a winning all they did last season, even if he did not start every game.

He deserves to be up there.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I remember that stunning goal he scored from way out I think it was against Benfica. Good player, I would've thought he would be a transfer for Mourinho but I suppose he's got more of a 'star studded' squad.

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
jaros said:
McCarthy was robbed he definitely deserved the award, i'm sorry for him to be the South African.
McCarthy was many times on the bench in FC Porto :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
:howler:

omg mcarthy was robbed !!!!

Mcarthy is a good player , but eto is a muchhhh better player in many ways ............

look @ eto in barca , he's the top goal scorer dont make biased opinions !!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Okocha was MVP at the ANC in Tunisia and I was thinkin' this is important for the CAF.
He played well at Bolton to but Samuel Eto'o was better at club level and maybe he deserved to win the trophy. You can not compare Bolton with Barca. I'm not happy with this decision. Eto'o is a very talented player, he is in great form, I like him, but it's easy to score when you're playing with Ronaldinho.
Drogba and Benny palyed well just at club level.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Raul_gonzalez said:
:howler:

omg mcarthy was robbed !!!!

Mcarthy is a good player , but eto is a muchhhh better player in many ways ............

look @ eto in barca , he's the top goal scorer dont make biased opinions !!
Even though I agree that Benni should not have won it of course, your statement is flawed as well. The prize is not for the player who is better, the price is for the player who performed better. Might not seem to make a lot of difference but it does. The difference is makes is that is does not matter if Eto'o is a muchhh better player than Benni is.

If Eto'o wins the 2005 prize for the best player of La Liga, which would not be strange since he has been fenomenal, does this make him a better player than Zidane? No, he has only performed better than Zidane. That's where the difference lies. :)

Eto'o is great and he is a better player than Drogba is, but I'll keep saying that over the calendar year 2004 Drogba deserved this prize more than Eto'o. Eto'o would come in second before Okocha, who has basically not done much in 2004. Not more than Eto'o and Drogba anyway. I'm being honest here. Okocha is my childhood hero, but in contrary of other people at XT I'm viewing this contest from an objective perspective. Okocha was great in 2003, but he was decent in 2004. :)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Which African players were a key influence in helping their teams win a trophy last season?

Those guys are the ones who I would have put on the shortlist...

For me, recognition should be given to those players who play well at the highest level but just as importantly those players who have made the greatest strides in their development while simultaneously helping their team win things.

Winners who improve themselves for the team's benefit.

(Being good for yourself is good; can being good for your Trophy-winning team be bettered?)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well there we have it, Drogba carried Marseille all the way last season. :cool:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Even though I agree that Benni should not have won it of course, your statement is flawed as well. The prize is not for the player who is better, the price is for the player who performed better. Might not seem to make a lot of difference but it does. The difference is makes is that is does not matter if Eto'o is a muchhh better player than Benni is.
4 example when u say Zidane is a good player , he's talented and made alot of diffrences 4 his team , this exactly goes on eto + he's in the spanish league stronger than the portuguese !! thats y he is really number 1 in africa

and its not right to say benni was robbed coz eto and drogba should have won it consequtivley

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Some Barça fans corrected me when I too thought Marseille won something last season.

Valencia beat them in the UEFA cup though Drogba was the competition's top goalscorer with 11 goals (Marseille lost 2 - 0 with Barthez sent off for trying to break Mista's neck).

So strictly speaking, Didier endeavored to drag the horse to the river but could not get the beast to drink the water.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Eto'o.....He only talks shit, and he loves it... It's that kind of player: he loves to provoke... although he's doing fine at Barça 'cos Ronaldinho is behind him, provinding balls and fixing his mistakes... maybe he should think about that!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I didn't like it when Eto'o didn't stand up against racism and said something like this. "I accept it when people call me an negro because I am one." WTF?? But that's his rather strange opinion but as a 'negro' I find that offensive as I'm not inferior to anyone.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Umarnino said:
I didn't like it when Eto'o didn't stand up against racism and said something like this. "I accept it when people call me an negro because I am one." WTF?? But that's his rather strange opinion but as a 'negro' I find that offensive as I'm not inferior to anyone.
Agreed, same here. Also I didn't like his earlier remark when he went to Barça I think: "I am going to run like a black guy, but earn like a white guy". I don't like his personality and to be honest, he is one of the few African footballers in Europe that I do not support. He is up there with guys like Diouf. :yuck:

He is a great player though, let there be no misunderstanding.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts