Xtratime Community banner

Estonia vs Lithuania (5th Sept - EURO qualifier)

681 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  estfan 
#1 ·
a must win game for sure

also our U21 squad will have a tough test meeting Spain in Tallinn on Wednesday

#3 ·
U21 lost 0-2 to Spain. Of course we faced a great side with tons of top level players: Saul Niguez, Oscar Torres, Delofeu, David Suarez, Munir el Haddadi, Arsenal's right back Bellerin etc. But Estonia defended well and Spanish tiki taka looked quite hopeless vs our bunker tactics...until around 80th minute mark Deulofeu cut in from the right and fooled several defenders and basically walked the ball into the net (although it was somebody else who eventually scored it). Later they also got a fishy penalty which Deulofeu scored.

still, pretty good effort taking into account the opponent quality...it was a stronger side than what the senior team has to face on Saturday.

#7 ·
Terrible performances by number 9 and zenjov and brilliant perforamnce by vassiliev and that number 3 I dont know the name, of course I can look up all the names, but I'd rather talk from my mind. Zenjov never really impressed me in all matches I watched, I am not sure If he would score, If he didnt let vassiliev have the ball which lead to goal. And the goalkeeper who replaced pareko is not convincing with his foot at all, he messed up several times when he kicked the ball with his feet. How the number 9 blew the chance thanks a misplaced bad pass i beyond me. But got the win, and now in the third place, above Slovenia, let's beat slovenia next.

#8 ·
Estonia simply doesn't have any decent strikers, hasn't had any for a long time, since Oper. Zenjov looked like he might become one but had all these injuries which halted his progress.

Artur Pikk (no. 3) indeed played very well, I was surprised by him.

#9 ·
Aksalu was great today. Very convincing with catching the ball etc
Zenjov has been in great form, probably his best position is nr9, not as a winger.
I admit, Purje had bad game, but probably at moment he is our best nr9 player (not until Anier and Ojamaa gets some playing time in their new clubs). Tbh our crosses were also terrible and he had pretty frustrating game also. His only chances came only from Lithuanians mistakes.
Dmitrijev is suspended against Slovenia and so Pehrsson called up Antonov (who just returned from injury). Not good at all.
Our wing-backs were probably greatest today. Surprise-choice for LB, Pikk was voted our MOTM by several websites too.
Vassiljev`s game was a bit dissapointment considering his form in Poland. But like very often, one piece of genius was enough for us to win the match :)

#10 ·
Vassiljev always finds a way to deliver somehow...very rare for an Estonian player :thmbup:

Today it was also a great team performance, we pressed them very aggressively from the beginning. I have to say that Pehrsson has done a good job on improving team defense, our gameplan is very solid and gets the best out of our limited resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.