Xtratime Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*note: none of the following applies to tommy smyth and jp dellacamerra

now that we've got a professional soccer league in the united states maybe espn should consider professionalizing their soccer commentators. the two-headed demon of ty keogh and jack edwards must be done away with, along with their studio host/sideline reporter rob stone. keogh is barely competent in his play by play, and rob stone makes me feel like i'm watching the mickey mouse club soccer show. as for edwards', his obviously rehearsed exclamations at the final whistle of the portugal and mexico games ("the land of the free and the home of the brave...") were extremely amateurish. seemingly intending to say something memorable to capture the moment, much like the great (and spontaneous) "do you believe in miracles?" call at the end of the u.s. hockey victory over the ussr in the 1980 olympics, edwards came off sounding like he was trying to make history for himself rather than define the moment. unfortunately, their ineptitude comes as no surprise, as anyone who regularly watches espn coverage of mls, world cup qualifiers and friendlies, is very familiar with these morons and their asinine take on the game of soccer. and while i'm bashing espn, i'd just like to say that if i hear another sportscenter or espnews anchor refer to a defender/fullback as a "defenseman," i'm goign to scream. i sincerely hope that espn can conjur up some competent and insightful commentators before too long. not only does the poor quality of these commentators frustrate knowledgable american soccer fans, but it contributes to the perceptions of mainstream america and foreign observers that american soccer should not be taken seriously.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tommy's no gem. he seems a little too reliant on his leprechaun-like charm, and i'm sure we're all getting a little tired of hearing "there's the bulge in the old onion bag," but he and jp make the best combination espn's got. they both know what they're talking about, and unlike keogh, edwards, stone and co., they don't act like door-to-door salesmen trying to hock the product of soccer like it's a set of disney classic cartoon features.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.