Xtratime Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*note: none of the following applies to tommy smyth and jp dellacamerra

now that we've got a professional soccer league in the united states maybe espn should consider professionalizing their soccer commentators. the two-headed demon of ty keogh and jack edwards must be done away with, along with their studio host/sideline reporter rob stone. keogh is barely competent in his play by play, and rob stone makes me feel like i'm watching the mickey mouse club soccer show. as for edwards', his obviously rehearsed exclamations at the final whistle of the portugal and mexico games ("the land of the free and the home of the brave...") were extremely amateurish. seemingly intending to say something memorable to capture the moment, much like the great (and spontaneous) "do you believe in miracles?" call at the end of the u.s. hockey victory over the ussr in the 1980 olympics, edwards came off sounding like he was trying to make history for himself rather than define the moment. unfortunately, their ineptitude comes as no surprise, as anyone who regularly watches espn coverage of mls, world cup qualifiers and friendlies, is very familiar with these morons and their asinine take on the game of soccer. and while i'm bashing espn, i'd just like to say that if i hear another sportscenter or espnews anchor refer to a defender/fullback as a "defenseman," i'm goign to scream. i sincerely hope that espn can conjur up some competent and insightful commentators before too long. not only does the poor quality of these commentators frustrate knowledgable american soccer fans, but it contributes to the perceptions of mainstream america and foreign observers that american soccer should not be taken seriously.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tommy's no gem. he seems a little too reliant on his leprechaun-like charm, and i'm sure we're all getting a little tired of hearing "there's the bulge in the old onion bag," but he and jp make the best combination espn's got. they both know what they're talking about, and unlike keogh, edwards, stone and co., they don't act like door-to-door salesmen trying to hock the product of soccer like it's a set of disney classic cartoon features.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
YanksUnited said:
tommy's no gem. he seems a little too reliant on his leprechaun-like charm, and i'm sure we're all getting a little tired of hearing "there's the bulge in the old onion bag," but he and jp make the best combination espn's got. they both know what they're talking about, and unlike keogh, edwards, stone and co., they don't act like door-to-door salesmen trying to hock the product of soccer like it's a set of disney classic cartoon features.

Well said. You took the words right out of my mouth. :)

If you read the ESPN sucks thread (or whatever it's called) I said almost the same thing, but you managed to sum it up in one perfect paragraph. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been watching some of the games on Canada's CBC network and you wouldn't believe the difference. Total class. BBC feed, Bob Lenarduzi and Jason de Vos in the studio. They know what they're talking about, they have a telestrator to diagram plays, and a minimum of cliches.

That said. I am grateful to ESPN for their coverage. Not all viewers are as knowledgeable as the posters here. The fact that they covered every game is just amazing. JackenTy almost grew on me. At least they were enthusiastic. And Stone is trying to appeal to the teenybopper viewer. It could be worse. I used to go to a theater and sit among chain smoking Easter Europeans before 1982. We are blessed. ESPN has an announcer, Derrek Rae, that did an outstanding job in 98. In the 1st round. I think he does the Revs games.

Just remember ABC just signed John Madden to do Monday Night Football. He's so awful, I won't watch. He's a clown. That's what the networks think American viewers want. Dennis Miller was too smart for the typical American jock sniffer. Only people with IQs higher than room temperature understood his jokes.

It could be and has been worse. I recommend sending ESPN an email telling them how much you appreciate the coverage. Also be critical of who they have doing the games.

I get a lot of static from the hockey fans at work that don't like me calling defensmen, fullbacks, or Dominick Hasek as the keeper.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I like Rob Stone. He's enthusiastic but calls a spade a spade. His play-by-play work is pretty good. He also usually hits the nail on the head in his columns on espn.com.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stone really cares about the game and our national team. I bet he's had to put up with a lot of crap from the rest of the ESPN announcers. He's been in his glory the last month and deserves to rub the arrogant :ass: in Bristol, Conn. noses in the ratings they've gotten. They now have the record for middle of the night broadcasts.

I wonder if MLS recouped any of what it paid for the rights to the WC. They hold them for the 06 games in Germany, too.:greed:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Jack and are a joke neither know what to do
thier commentary is horrible, and they always call the wrong name

Smyth is annoying but the best they have along with JP

but my question is this

These two guys did the Leverkusen v. Man u games
Dereak rae and Seamus Mallin..i think it was them

why arent they announcing WC games.
to me they are the best

But hey any coverage is good..theres always the mute button when jack and ty get to be too big of a pain

I dont mind Rob Stone, at least he comes off as honest and his cracks arnt that bad, and as someone said he is appelaing to a younger market which is good....the future is the youth

Lav

·
Registered
13,202 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
BHAM! Gawd, I almost feel sorry for the schlup. Naw.:D He's got it coming. Absolutely, Derrek Rae is the best soccer play by play man ESPN's got.

The Washington Post article also had some great links to go to. A gallery of kewl photos. Great screensavers. One shows the ball on the goal line with the Germans arm right there. Swine call.

You know, one thing has me sort of ticked. We took getting eliminated too well. We weren't pissed at all. Well, we had a great run, but that was Germany. We outplayed them but they move on and we're done. :) :) :)

Cow pucky.:eek: :mad: I'm mad. We should have won that game. We should be calling for a nuke strike on Scotland. Maybe our own city in Texas should be nuked just for having the name Dallas. The nerve of that Scottish prig. If that had happened at the other end of the field, I bet he would have given his Eurotrash pals a pk. But, we cant' give these upstart Yanks a free goal. Just because a little Teutonic hand kept the ball from crossing the goal line and giving these Americanisch a legitimate goal.

Dammit we deserved a shot at a goal. That hand ball kept us from scoring. That alone justifies us getting a second chance. See if Kahn measures up to Friedel.

I demand satisfaction. Bring the Scottish Nats over here for a friendly.
:devil:
Operation mayhem will be childs play with what I've got in mind.
:fero: :fero: :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Kerry said:
Operation mayhem will be childs play with what I've got in mind.
FIGHT CLUB!

Yeah the american attitude was way too calm but i gotta say thatt looked innocent as the guy was moving his hand away from the ball, but then again it was on the line

tough calll

lav

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Well, his explanation was that he couldn't rule it a handball because the German player's hand wasn't moving when the ball touched it. He said it would have only been a handball if the player would have tried to move his hand away when the ball made contact. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Well, his explanation was that he couldn't rule it a handball because the German player's hand wasn't moving when the ball touched it. He said it would have only been a handball if the player would have tried to move his hand away when the ball made contact. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I don't mind Rod Stone. It was pretty funny when he was making fun of the German talk-show host in the pre-game:D:D

·
Registered
879 Posts
i agree with what you guys said earlier. derek rae is the best play by play guy on espn. his delivery has elegance, and he actually tries to pronounce the names correctly. jp, to his credit does so as well.. but rae is the best. another guy that i haven't yet seen is eddie mighten. he did the la liga games, and also does the champions league introduction. another thing i like is that derek rae is a very positive guy, but doesn't drool over players.. its a fine line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts