Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This only applies to viewers within the U.S. After choosing to broadcast the all EPL semi-final first leg, the Disney owned channel has decided to broadcast the second-leg of the all-EPL semi.

Now do you guys know why I was delighted when we were drawn against Manure?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
well let's face it , the Chavs/Liverpool game is much more finely balanced. :thmbup:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Paratroopa said:
This only applies to viewers within the U.S.
you'd be surprised Paratroopa. ESPN has more or less exactly the same policy when it comes to preferentially bombarding an unwilling public with football coverage placing too much emphasis on EPL games out here in Australia too.

·
63,337 Posts
why can't they show both anyway ? it's not like the games are on the same day.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
why can't they show both anyway ? it's not like the games are on the same day.
they do. i'm just bitter because i can't afford pay tv :wallbang: :D. but still they show more EPL games :stuckup:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Marketing an English langauge league to an English language country.

Whodathunkit?
well put Rob. you really need to be able to understand RvN's girlish whining or Rooney's kuntish swearing to enjoy a football match. :thumbsup:

i'm guessing you're the kind of bloke who's not interested in foreign women that you can't have a deep and meaningful "conversation" with either :tongue: ;)

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I can almost guarantee that I've watched far more Serie A games in my life than you have but that's besides the point.

The point is if you're marketing something it makes more sense if it's from the same language and people can understand the culture. They can have wrap up shows, post match interviews the viewer can understand etc. It's how business works. EPL is simply going to do bigger ratings in the USA and Australia than Serie A or La Liga would so they run with that. Simple as.

Why do you think it's taking Chivas USA for MLS to tap the latin market?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
I can almost guarantee that I've watched far more Serie A games in my life than you have but that's besides the point.
I can just about guarantee your suspicion, but i can't see what that does other than to strengthen my argument :tongue: :D

Rob Edwards said:
The point is if you're marketing something it makes more sense if it's from the same language and people can understand the culture. They can have wrap up shows, post match interviews the viewer can understand etc. It's how business works. EPL is simply going to do bigger ratings in the USA and Australia than Serie A or La Liga would so they run with that. Simple as.
Yes well put again. If you're marketing Italian or English food then people will automatically ignore the concept of taste and base their preferences on which has names that are easier to pronounce ;) Anyway there's only about 25 odd million people in the USA who say they're of Italian origin in the census, so sophisticated as we may well be :proud: :D, i'm sure there would be the odd soul there who could understand our culture ;)

Rob Edwards said:
Why do you think it's taking Chivas USA for MLS to tap the latin market?
what are you trying to suggest? :eekani: read my above post. there's probably still more Italians in America than there are Mexicans. maybe by your logic you'll decide that they should send Chievo Verona to play over there to stimulate some interest or something absurd like that instead. btw do you like panettone Rob? it's not bad once you get over the name ;)

·
63,337 Posts
you can't base it on a minority of 25 million Italians though, that's a little village full, how many Irishman in the U.S.A. ? i heard it is close to 100 million, they should be showing Gaelic football instead of this Serie A rubbish. :stuckup:

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I can just about guarantee your suspicion, but i can't see what that does other than to strengthen my argument
Well your post came across to me as you thinking I was ignorant to Serie A. I've watched something like 1,200-1,500 Serie A games in my life plus weekly highlights so that isn't the case is all. I've dropped off a bit lately because I'm not as bad a footy geek as I used to be but I used to watch it absolutely religiously.

But most people aren't like me in that respect and they'll watch what seems most familiar. It's like pro wrestling over here with Serie A say in the mid 90's. The matches WWF and All Japan were putting out weren't even comparable. The AJ ones were clearly miles better and they had 4 of the 10 best wrestlers ever working for them at various points. Still even though neither of them were English if you dubbed them both with English commentarry and stuck them on UK TV the American wrestling would pick up more viewers than the Japanese. Same thing with football.

Anyway there's only about 25 odd million people in the USA who say they're of Italian origin in the census, so sophisticated as we may well be , i'm sure there would be the odd soul there who could understand our culture
But how many of the "Italian Americans" actually speak Italian. Or watch good old Italian sports like baseball?

read my above post. there's probably still more Italians in America than there are Mexicans. maybe by your logic you'll decide that they should send Chievo Verona to play over there to stimulate some interest or something absurd like that instead. btw do you like panettone Rob? it's not bad once you get over the name
Mexican immigration is more recent, less diluted and more pocketed to areas. And I tend to prefer oriental food to Italian. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Well your post came across to me as you thinking I was ignorant to Serie A. I've watched something like 1,200-1,500 Serie A games in my life plus weekly highlights so that isn't the case is all. I've dropped off a bit lately because I'm not as bad a footy geek as I used to be but I used to watch it absolutely religiously.
Rob, i've read you say that several times now, so there wasn't any doubt at all that you know a lot about Serie A. I just don't know what it's got to do with whether or not it gets televised out here in Australia or in the USA for example :neutral:

Rob Edwards said:
But most people aren't like me in that respect and they'll watch what seems most familiar. It's like pro wrestling over here with Serie A say in the mid 90's. The matches WWF and All Japan were putting out weren't even comparable. The AJ ones were clearly miles better and they had 4 of the 10 best wrestlers ever working for them at various points. Still even though neither of them were English if you dubbed them both with English commentarry and stuck them on UK TV the American wrestling would pick up more viewers than the Japanese. Same thing with football.
This is still quite unfathomable to me. it's not really like comparing Dante with Shakespeare or anything. it's the same game with the same rules so if they can understand the English matches i'm sure that they can just as easily follow Italian games as well, why are you even trying to argue this point? :wallbang:. anyway sometimes the element of cultural difference even adds to the experience as far as i'm concerned.

Rob Edwards said:
But how many of the "Italian Americans" actually speak Italian. Or watch good old Italian sports like baseball?
By this logic Italians in Italy shouldn't even watch football since that's mostly an English sport traditionally ;). And on that note, how popular is our traditional chariot racing over there in England these days Rob? hope it's not to complicated to follow on account of the occasional sledging taking place in Latin :tongue: ;)

Rob Edwards said:
Mexican immigration is more recent, less diluted and more pocketed to areas.
Italy is something unforgettable Rob. the longer you've been away the more you love it. :heart: :proud:

Rob Edwards said:
And I tend to prefer oriental food to Italian. :)
yes I'm also partial to a spot of Oriental food myself, but as for preferences, well there's certainly no accounting for taste... ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
you can't base it on a minority of 25 million Italians though, that's a little village full, how many Irishman in the U.S.A. ? i heard it is close to 100 million, they should be showing Gaelic football instead of this Serie A rubbish. :stuckup:
I know it's illogical, but that's more or less the kind of logic that Rob will try to sell to you :D

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
This is still quite unfathomable to me. it's not really like comparing Dante with Shakespeare or anything. it's the same game with the same rules so if they can understand the English matches i'm sure that they can just as easily follow Italian games as well, why are you even trying to argue this point? anyway sometimes the element of cultural difference even adds to the experience as far as i'm concerned.
People can but they don't want to. I'm not even arguing a point it's something that's fact. If you ever end up working in a marketing environment it's something you'll find out. People are just more comforable with something if it's as familiar as possible to them. Soccer from an English speaking country is more familiar than soccer from Italy or Spain. I don't know where you'd check the ratings for these things (I know I can pull up ratings for wrestling online so I'm sure you can) but I'd be surprised if Juve Vs Milan did bigger ratings than Portsmouth Vs West Brom. That's just the way the world works. If it didn't it'd be cool but even when Serie A was readily available on terrestrial TV here (and miles superior at the time) it still got dwarfed in the ratings by EPL which was on a pay channel.

By this logic Italians in Italy shouldn't even watch football since that's mostly an English sport traditionally
It's the Italian national game now. That logic sucks. I'm comparing it to the Italian American sport which is baseball, not Serie A.

Italy is something unforgettable Rob. the longer you've been away the more you love it.
I'm willing to bet 90% of the people who listed themselves as Italian on the census haven't ever been to Italy.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
They show Serie A and La Liga matches here, but the match commentary is in the local language (Arabic) as is the pre-match and post-match comments. Welcome to the world of globalisation.

As for the EPL having more ratings than other European leagues could potentially have in the USA and Australia, that is your assumption but you haven't based that on any factual premise. If you use the logic that the EPL would be more popular in the U.S based on the fact they share a common language, then wouldn't it make equal sense to say that the football-mad Mexican minority, who actually consitute a viable and homogenous block of football T.V-viewship, would want to watch the Latin European leagues over watching Henry take English minnows to task?

ESPN has many links to English clubs, and as the latter are trying desperately to penetrate the oh so lucrative and untapped market in the US for 'soccer', EPSN is just helping them on their way by giving them as much exposure as possible.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Are the subtitles on interviews or dubbed? Serie A and La Liga coverage here has all that but it doesn't come close and never will. It really isn't an assumption either, people go with what's familiar to them if it's of a similar standard. That's why US channels push EWPL because they think it's more marketable to the American public (of course the fact there are several Americans in it can't hurt). I'd love to see things from the romantic view personally but the best thing (even though I don't think Serie A is the best thing anymore) isn't always the most watched.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
And aren't latin leagues also quite pushed towards audiences there anyway? I know mexican teams play games in America from time to time.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Are the subtitles on interviews or dubbed? Serie A and La Liga coverage here has all that but it doesn't come close and never will. It really isn't an assumption either, people go with what's familiar to them if it's of a similar standard. That's why US channels push EWPL because they think it's more marketable to the American public (of course the fact there are several Americans in it can't hurt). I'd love to see things from the romantic view personally but the best thing (even though I don't think Serie A is the best thing anymore) isn't always the most watched.
The match commentary is by locals, the pre-match and post-match shows are also done by locals. The interviews with players and coaches are sometimes dubbed and/or subtitled.

As for Serie A And La Liga not taking off in England regardless, well when you have your own homegrown league which is quite lucrative and popular, obviously there will be a bias against foreign football imports. But I don't see how you can apply this to somewhere like the U.S though.

Rob Edwards said:
And aren't latin leagues also quite pushed towards audiences there anyway? I know mexican teams play games in America from time to time.
Latin, as in South American, yes they are and they're quite popular. Which makes my point really, if leagues like the Chilean, Mexican and Argentinian leagues hold their own in the American market, more lucrative and storied leagues with bigger brand names would also do well if given an equal chance to compete.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
The match commentary is by locals, the pre-match and post-match shows are also done by locals. The interviews with players and coaches are sometimes dubbed and/or subtitled.
That's cool but with respect I think it'd be different if an arabic league were to become big three level.

As for Serie A And La Liga not taking off in England regardless, well when you have your own homegrown league which is quite lucrative and popular, obviously there will be a bias against foreign football imports. But I don't see how you can apply this to somewhere like the U.S though.
Well try and look at it from the point of view of a TV exec. You have to look at what you think will be most easy for your audience to take in and how much work you'd have to do to make it so. EPL is more on a plate than the others because of the language. They can do interviews with current and ex players for insight with no need to adapt the language etc. It's all there for them wheras La Liga or Serie A would require work and then you get to the question of whether it would be as accepted anyway. There's a reason people think that English players are overhyped.
Latin, as in South American, yes they are and they're quite popular. Which makes my point really, if leagues like the Chilean, Mexican and Argentinian leagues hold their own in the American market, more lucrative and storied leagues with bigger brand names would also do well if given an equal chance to compete.
Well they aim for ethnic areas and target them well. If Serie A got network TV in New York maybe it would do well. EPL is national because it's going to appeal to a greater cross section of people.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Rob Edwards said:

USA is a Anglosaxan country today where English is the only official language in most states. How many American's speak British English?

Rob Edwards said:
I'm willing to bet 90% of the people who listed themselves as Italian on the census haven't ever been to Italy.
'

How many Americans with English heritage have been to England? Very few. How many Americans with English heritage give a fu*k about England? Very few compared to the Italian-Americans where 99% feel very strong for Italy and their heritage and seeds.

The biggest minority in USA are the Germans, so logically the German league should be the one in focus, But unfortunately it's all about "language" in USA. American channels such as ESPN feel stronger about the EPL cause they speak the same language.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts