Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have had a chance to see this yet, but it brought a tear to my eye thinking about my youth and those innocent days when Jugolslavija was on the cusp of becoming a basketball and football juggernaut.

The documentary is a 75-minute portrait of the friendship between former NBA stars Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic, and their estrangement in the wake of the civil war.

I see Dino and Toni in a warmer light now, heck I even see Vlade in a warmer light as well. I don't know if this will even begin to mend any injustices....however they are percieved to be...from whatever "side" you're on....all I know is this documentary has brought to the surface feelings of pride and regret all at once for me.

I would've have liked to see if Vlade, Sasha, Dino, Toni, Teo, Stojan etc have come to a reconciliation and how they got there.

The scene of Divac walking through Zagreb was probably the best scene. I felt worried for him - and saddened for him - for a minute, and that's a pretty remarkable tension to feel for a sports documentary.

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
We did become a basketball juggernaut, all on our own:thumbsup:

It was good. Just so you know there have been many many flame wars in the last couple of weeks on XT because of this doco:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes we did Milos...however I don't think any of our teams could beat that 92 Dream Team. I expected no less in regards to the "flame wars". My intent wasn't to start more. Just to give my opinion.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Sure, add Petrovic, Kukoc and Radja to Serbia's golden generation, and we get an even stronger team. But just on the paper. I don't think it really matters, probably it wouldn't have been enough to beat USA's dream team anyway. It means that we won everything (that Yu 92' was capable of to win) on our own and that's exactly what we should be proud of. We did it without anyone's help, and we don't need to share it with anyone. And who knows, if the 1992 team had been playing together, would they fought as much as we did on our own? I don't think so. These players that won so much for us, had the whole world against them. But still, they gave everything to give us some light moments in a dark time. I don't think the world will ever witness a team that plays with the same "inat" as Djordjevic, Danilovic, Bodiroga, Stojakovic, Paspalj and Divac did.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should know better than to think that the XT crew didn't know this and haven't provided the Serbian slant to the world. I'll shut up now as I've tripled my posting quota for the year. :)

·
Lord of the Basement
15,331 Posts
I should know better than to think that the XT crew didn't know this and haven't provided the Serbian slant to the world. I'll shut up now as I've tripled my posting quota for the year. :)
:howler:

No, stick around. We need more grobari here, PV is a laughingstock and the rest follow him so we might need someone who is more rational :D

·
Registered
44,357 Posts
Superbump.

I stumbled across an interesting article in an Argentine magazine called El Enganche the other day but forgot to post it here.

It's an interview with the guy that Divac took the flag from in 1990.

His name is Tomás Šakić and he was 41 years old at the time. It's apparently the very first time he speaks out about the flag incident. He was working as a journalist at the time and took his kids to the game. It's funny, Argentina still has a similar journalistic culture where the journalists are basically fans, so many years afterwards. He still lives in Santa Teresita and it looks like he's related to a certain Dinko Šakić (yes, the war criminal) even if he didn't want to confirm anything.

FULL TRANSLATION

"I'm not Croat. I'm an Argentine and the son of Croats. I was born in Rosario and I will support Argentina in next years World Cup (when Argentina-Croatia play each other) However, it's true that I'm the person who entered Luna Park (where the game between Yugoslavia-Soviet Union was being played) with the Croatian flag. The Croatian flag is a family thing but I really have to be honest: Divac pulled the flag away from me and I got it back afterwards. But he never spat or stamped on it. The fact that he pulled it away from me was offensive, an irresponsible attitude but he never spat on the flag. This is where the friendship between Divac and Petrović ended".

"I entered the court once the game had ended. I had been preparing to enter the court and I was aware that the TV-broadcast hadn't been cut off yet. I flashed the flag with the Croatian coat of arms instead of the Yugoslav with the Communist star. Shortly afterwards a few people from the Yugoslav embassy went up to me with their hands in their pockets. My initial thought was that they were armed. I was with one of my sons. He played basketball for Huracán de San Justo. It was hard for me and I'll always remember how me and my son were put back to back when the peoplefrom the embassy entered the court. I didn't support Yugoslavia in the final against the Soviet Union but I didn't want them to lose either. I sympathized with the Croatian players: Kukoč, Petrović, Čutura. I thought that Divac was Croat as well. However, I realized that he was actually Serbian in the very moment that he grabbed the flag. He had never expressed himself politically previously".

"Divac grabbed the flag and I ran after it. It wasn't easy to move on the court because I had a photo bag. The images don't demonstrate this but there was a moment where we were standing 10 cm from each other, head to head, pulling each other. It's possible that I gave him a small scratch, he could've given me one as well. I was 180 cm and he was 212 cm tall (Divac was 216 cm in reality). The players had orders not to respond or react because they knew these type of manifestations could've appeared. I also stayed in the mold: I didn't want to perjudicate Argentina".

"Petrović stayed in one corner. He didn't want to intervene until he saw what all this was about but they told him later on. Petrović's brother, Aleksandar, responded to Divac in the documentary (Once Brothers) and he said that Divac reacted towards me because the Croatian flag had nothing to do with this. It was Yugoslavia that had won and not another country. But what Petrović's brother really said was basically how it wasn't ok to show the Croatian flag when Croatia formed part of Yugoslavia".

"All sorts of people from all parts of the World started calling me that day, from Australia to Europe. I've always had contact with the Croatian community and people were happy. The World had seen a flag that had been banned since 1945. It was obvious that this wasn't the Yugoslav national team because there were Croats as well in the team. This had consequences. They wouldn't let Divac into Croatia and it's possible to see how they don't look particularly nicely on him when he visits the country in the documentary".

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Tomas isn't only Šakić from the same place. Dinko Šakić (ww2 commander of Jasenovac concentration camp) also lived In Santa Terasita. His relations with him, Tomas didn't want to comment.
:howler:

Last sentence in that article tells everything.

E Tomase...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts