Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
England boss Sven Goran Eriksson admits he couldn't understand Manchester United star Wayne Rooney's Scouse accent when he first selected him.

The Swede said: "Wayne Rooney came into the England set-up as a 17-year-old.

"He barely said a word because he was so shy. And, when he did, I couldn't understand it because of his strange accent.

"But now it is a totally different story.

"He has grown a lot in many ways and now he is the one that, for example, organises quizzes in the massage room.

"I see him as a future leader of the team, even though he is only 20."

Eriksson's claim that Rooney could be captain will surprise many because of the hitman's hot-headed temperament.

But the Swede reckons Rooney has matured and will keep calm at the World Cup in Germany.

Eriksson added: "Wayne has never shown any hot temper in the big matches. I would say no one is perfect, every player has their defects."

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I'd rather him than Beckham, but Terry is captain in my eyes. With Reo-Coker the future captain, assuming he doesn't piss off to play for another country. :frustrat:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
well with beckham not retiring i can't see it happening anytime soon, then it will be michael owen
I don't think Owen will be the next captain at all. Maybe under Sven but I'm pretty sure most managers will choose someone like Terry or Lampard. A captain should be in the centre of things or behind his team, not stuck out on the wing or upfront alone.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Russell said:
I don't think Owen will be the next captain at all. Maybe under Sven but I'm pretty sure most managers will choose someone like Terry or Lampard. A captain should be in the centre of things or behind his team, not stuck out on the wing or upfront alone.
terry or Gerrard then IMO, but i don't see becks retiring for 2 years maybe 4. :eekani:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts