1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eriksson photographed visiting Chelsea chief executive

Reuters

Saturday March 27, 2004 1:01 PM

LONDON, March 27 (Reuters) - England soccer coach Sven-Goran Eriksson came under huge media scrutiny again on Saturday after a tabloid newspaper ran a front-page picture of him leaving the London apartment of Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Sun said Eriksson, who is preparing for England's friendly against his native Sweden next week, spent two hours with Kenyon on Thursday evening at what it described as a "clandestine meeting".

Though under contract with the English FA until the 2006 World Cup, Eriksson has been strongly linked with Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri's job since the club was taken over last July by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich.

An FA spokesman said they would be talking to Eriksson as soon as possible about the report, which was accompanied by strongly-worded editorials urging Eriksson to quit his England job immediately if he had agreed a Chelsea deal.

Five days ago, Kenyon described the continuous media speculation about Ranieri's future and "false links to other managers" as unhelpful.

He told the Chelsea website: "We will not add to this speculation by responding and only wish to reiterate that Claudio Ranieri has over three years to run on his contract."

Eriksson has been offered a two-year extension to his contract with the FA but the 56-year-old has yet to sign.

There has been consistent speculation linking him with Chelsea ever since he was photographed entering Abramaovich's home last July. Eriksson described the visit as a purely social.

Eriksson was due to name his squad on Saturday for a Euro 2004 warm-up match in Gothenburg next Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------

now i hate his dour anti-football,he is not English either so shouldn't really be in the job anyway,now he is just taking the piss,making a mockery of the three lions.

he may as well do a 'Dagoods' and go in Trafalgar Square and take a poop on Lord Nelson and the Lions ;)

the man is a disgrace,he shouldn't just be sacked ,he should be sent to the Tower of London and off with his head. :eek: :fero:

nothing but trouble he's been,and the F.A. are no better.

sack the lot of them. :fero:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Is it so beyond the realms of reality to think that perhaps Sven was just on a social visit? :confused: :)

now i hate his dour anti-football,he is not English either so shouldn't really be in the job anyway,now he is just taking the piss,making a mockery of the three lions.
Apart from a funny accent and at times broken English his nationality is not a problem. As long as England win matches under Sven and undoubtedly we do, he can stay as coach.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry,Brooking could do just as well as him with pride,all the players know what to do.

if you are happy to let a man take the piss out of our great nation you are beyond therapy.

i hope he goes,i think it is our F.A.s duty to sack this bastard,he has no morals and is pissing all over our shirt.

I would like to see him become destitute and penniless.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Inter Milan move for Chelsea target Eriksson
tribalfootball.com - March 28, 2004

Inter Milan have contacted the agent of England boss Sven Goran Eriksson.

Gazzetta dello Sport says Inter chief Marco Branca spoke with Eriksson's representatives during the club's UEFA Cup clash with Sochaux and is said to have received some encouragement about a potential move for the Swede.

Eriksson is also being chased by Chelsea and Real Madrid, but is said to be interested in Inter's proposal.

The former Lazio trainer has always maintained he'd like to return to club football in Italy.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Dont wanna kick you while ure down like Jern but..

Eriksson inks new England deal
Sunday, 28 March 2004

Sven Goran Eriksson has signed a new deal to stay on as England boss until 2008, but confirmed he had held talks with clubs over other jobs including Chelsea.
There had been intense speculation that the Three Lions chief was ready to quit England after Euro 2004 to take over as Chelsea boss, but those rumours have now been put to bed.

Eriksson confirmed that he had wanted to wait before signing a new deal but felt reports linking him with Stamford Bridge had forced his hand.

The former Lazio coach confirmed that he had held talks with Chelsea - and had been approached by other foreign clubs - and was unapologetic for meeting with the West Londoners.

Eriksson insisted he was entitled to speak to interested parties, but is hopeful that by signing the new deal with England the press speculation will come to an end.

“In an ideal world I would have liked to have waited until after Euro 2004, but that has not been made possible,” he stated.

“I am sure it will end speculation, there is no chance at all of me leaving after Euro 2004.

“I wanted to listen to other people and other clubs in England and other countries - it is ambition, but here it is impossible, so when it came out I met somebody I thought it was best.”

When questioned about whether he had come close to joining Chelsea, he continued: “Not close at all.

“I was listening, and I think when clubs to come to you when you have ambition you listen. It is the same in any situation.

“I can't regret it because if you have ambition you listen to other jobs, to see if it is a possibility and you should be allowed to do that even if you are England manager.

“Chelsea has never offered me anything nor have any other clubs.

“I had questions about my future and to see if it was possible to something, but not only in England but clubs in other countries.

“I will not leave after 2004 no, I have a contract until 2008.

“The fact is that I am here and I always had my contract.

“There are many things that made me take this decision and the team is extremely good and if we have all the players fit we can do great things.

“I have always been supported in a marvellous way and I hope that goes on.

“I hope we can stop the speculation now and go on for some years ahead.”

FA chief executive Mark Palios expressed his delight at securing Eriksson's services, and conceded he was not surprised by interest in the Swede given his record.

“We have always said that we want Sven to be our manager and we recognise that he is one of the best in the world and we wanted to continue the continuity,” Palios added.

“I think an important thing to say is that the relationship with the players is a strong feature and we hope all the country will get behind us for Euro 2004.

“I am not surprised with Sven's record that he talked to other clubs and that they wanted to sign him, I am pleased to have a man a lot of top clubs wanted.

“I think we have to be realistic that he is a top manager

“The contract is until 2008. We have two major competitions between now and 2008, but we are not going to go into detail about the contract.

“The important thing for the England fans is that we have Sven in place and so we can create the best platform.

“The intention was that we would resolve this before 2004, but there was no deadline. Sven wanted to resolve this so we had a smooth run-in to the tournament.”

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:

if you are happy to let a man take the piss out of our great nation you are beyond therapy.
I'm happy for a man to select England squads which win games. I'm happy for a man to coach England who has the respect of the
players he selects.
I'm happy to have a man that is tatically able and has alot of experience.
I'm happy with how things are going, i'm just not interested in speculation and rumours fabricated by the media.

The poor man can't go anywhere without someone linking him to a new job, he'll probably be seen enjoying a pack of crabsticks on Blackpool pleasure beach next month with nancy, obviously he's having second thoughts about the England job and wishing to invest heavily into the lucrative crabstick market!, or maybe he is just fond of crabsticks and likes the seaside?, either way, results matter, everything else is purely consequential :tongue:

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
I don't listen to rumours about Sven anymore, it's all crap i'm surprised he wants to stay with the England job the amount of hassle he gets for no reason, people are happy to slag him off now, but if we won Euro 2004, people would be calling him god, if we do crap they will want him sacked anyway.

I just look at the results that's all that's really important, and he aint doing to bad there is he?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
FA acted on Sven after Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid talks
tribalfootball.com - March 29, 2004

Sven Goran Eriksson faced the sack yesterday if he rejected terms from the FA over a new, two-year contract extension.

The FA were demanding Eriksson end speculation linking him with Chelsea by penning a new deal and convinced the Swede to put pen to paper - even though he wanted to wait until the summer.

A source revealed to The Sun: "The FA wanted Sven's name on the contract there and then and told him they had to have it.

"Sven wanted to wait until the summer but the FA warned if he did not sign they might have to sack him.

"When the pictures came out in The Sun on Saturday showing him at the home of Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon, he lost his bottle, got scared by the public reaction.

"Yet the FA offered him ?5million-a-year with the option he could quit after the 2006 World Cup.

"He had nothing to lose. He knows if England have a disastrous Euro 2004 they might want to sack him. If they do, the FA will have to pay ?20m in compensation.

"There was an understanding between Sven and Chelsea he was their No 1 choice, though there was never an offer in writing.

"On Friday, Chelsea were under the impression he would be prepared to join them after Euro 2004.

"Anybody who is well connected in European football knows Sven has been actively looking for a new club job.

"He spoke to Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Chelsea, telling them all he wanted to quit the FA.

"Chairmen and presidents from major clubs throughout Europe were all made aware Sven did not want to stay with England and that he would be available."

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
King of the Kop said:
Your havin a laugh...
Indeed, but I am a bit surprised by how harsh Jerns words are eventough I agree in Sven being defensive minded and a bit overrated.

and could you imagine the cryout over his comments if Sven was from some other countries than Sweden? :D Jern would be banned in no time. ;)

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's not racist,it's just in International compettion i believe it is quite good to have everyone to do with your operation from the same country,i'm funny like that. ;)

Erikkson's football is rubbish as well,oh wow we beat the worst German defence ever assembled,and bored the world to death against a ropey Argentina.

also we complete cack against Nigeria and Sweden,completly clueless against a not great Brazil side.

and he is a mercenary as well,he let Blackburn down i'll always remember,he has no principled thought,he should only look elsewhere when he is jobless,Kevin Keegan would have rather died than talk to other clubs when he had the England job.

He is pissing on the Three Lions.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I'm suprised no one has realised what's going on.

The FA had obviously put a gun to his head and told him to sign or else...

He had no choice but to sign. If he hadn't, then there would have been endless speculation in regards to his future. Jern is right, Erikkson appears to be bored with the England job.

He will be gone after July 2004.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Firenze said:
I'm sorry can you please explain this part?
he agreed to join Blackburn but changed his mind at the last minute to manage Lazio,showing he is not a man of his word.

he is driven by ego and money,and has no thought for others.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
WHAT did Sven actually do?

He had a meeting with someone he wishes to meet. Criminal?

People assume that he is not going to put his concentration on Euro2004 and he may go just before that tournament. IN ACTUAL, you are as good as begging him to stay. And by doing that, words like 'he is not a national' etc. he is pissing on some cats etc.

Cant ppl just say ' Please Sven'

1 - 20 of 43 Posts