Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric has signed for Australian club Brisbane Roar, a 2 year contract, he says he wants to take his children on a 'huge adventure'... anyway I'm curious to know about this player, I know he's no superstar, but the A'league is nothing special and if Eric is halfway decent by Ligue 1 standards, I'm sure he'll do well enough. We're quite excited about his arrival here, as he has plenty of experience in one of Europe's better leagues, and he comes at not a bad age.

·
Roland Romeyer
1,517 Posts
Followed him quite closely when he was in Saint-Etienne. He was showing great skills but was just not good enough to make it to Ligue 1 (his technical abilities being pretty good, but physically not really solid). After a few years in the lower leagues he managed to make it to Ligue 1 at quite an old age (I don't recall precisely but I think he was 25 or so) and had the chance to play in 2 French clubs who are known for giving puny players a chance (Dijon and Nice). He made his way and had a few great seasons. Never he was an awesome player, but a decent Ligue 1 player, yes he was without a doubt. A great left foot, can take set pieces too, good crossing abilities, good finishing. He's not particularly fast though, and obviously lacks physical abilities (suffers against tough defenders, and can't run 90 min long).

Going to Lille was clearly a huge mistake for him. The style of play did not fit with his characteristics. Scored less, assisted less, played less, and finally was put on transfer list by Marcelo Bielsa.

He's indeed young enough to play a few years in Australia at a good level. The Australian league is weaker than the French obviously, and Bauthéac is not the kind of players who would come apathically just to take the money. He's always worked hard to get what he wants (which is surely what brought him to a very-satisfying career, better than what his sole talent would have let him to have) and I'm totally sure he'll probably give you full satisfaction.

Plus he looks motivated.

Last but not least he's a very nice guy, very humble, and classy on the field. No surprise as he's spent 7 years in Sainté. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts