1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kanoute after more goals

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 5/1/2004

HAT-TRICK hero Fredi Kanoute will be chasing more goals when Spurs entertain Birmingham on Wednesday. Tottenham's leading scorer...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Kanoute after more goals
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

HAT-TRICK hero Fredi Kanoute will be chasing more goals when Spurs entertain Birmingham on Wednesday.

Tottenham's leading scorer ended a run of five games without finding the net by bagging all the goals in Saturday's 3-0 FA Cup win against Crystal Palace at White Hart Lane.

Kanoute, who still seems intent on playing for Mali in the African Nations Cup, told the official Spurs website: 'It is good to be back winning and it is good for the confidence but now all we should have in our minds is the league game against Birmingham.

"The win over palace was a boost after recent results but I don't think we were lacking in confidence completely because everybody in the team is focused and nobody backs out when we are on the pitch. Even in the last game, when we lost, everybody fought hard.

"We have lost games and had a bad time, but everybody is fighting hard."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clemence out to hurt Spurs

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 5/1/2004

STEPHEN CLEMENCE is out to pile the Premiership misery on Tottenham - even though he still loves the club he has always supported...

Clemence out to hurt Spurs

STEPHEN CLEMENCE is out to pile the Premiership misery on Tottenham - even though he still loves the club he has always supported.

The midfielder returns to White Hart Lane with Birmingham on Wednesday eager to pick up three points with the Midlanders.

But he is desperate for his old club to then go on a winning run to avoid relegation.

"The next game is against Spurs and we have to get back to our league form and hopefully pick up three points,'' he said after the Blues beat Blackburn 4-0 in the FA Cup on Saturday.

"The Cup is a bonus but the league is where we have to make sure we remain for next season.

"It's disappointing to see Tottenham where they are at the present time. I have a lot of friends there but, come Wednesday, I'll be doing my best to ensure they don't get the three points.

"But I wouldn't like to see them go down. I was there for nine years and supported them from when I was eight years old when Gazza went to White Hart Lane. I still have a lot of affection for them."

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Boy, do we need 3 points. Don't care how we get them, as long as we do....!

I guess I'll be travelling home with the fans again tonight... So I expect to hear those unique Gazza, Villa, Lineker stories all over again... :D

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Won't be really able to listen to the game cos of exams:depress: but good news is that all will be over when we next get screened on telly since our next FA cup game will be screened on the BBC on Sunday lunchtime on the 25 th:happy: :happy:

Sicknote will be back for the game btw. Poyet will get suspended in 4 weeks time knowing how the FA works. I just hope Pleat benches at least one of them!!!

Going for a 1-0 win with Robbie Keane scoring.

When will Kanoute play his last game for us before he heads off to Africa?

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
:happy: :happy:

2 nil 2 nil 2nil!!!!

Dalmat done it again! Europe beware!!! we're coming to get yah!!!:fero: :fero:

Keane assist for the second goal :cool:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spurs out of bottom three after Birmingham rout
tribalfootball.com - January 8, 2004

Tottenham hauled themselves out of the bottom three with an impressive 4-1 rout of Birmingham City last night.
Spurs were home and dry by half-time thanks to Stephane Dalmat's double after seven and 23 minutes and one from Simon Davies six minutes before the break.

Robbie Savage pulled one back from the penalty spot after 67 minutes before Keane completed the rout after 78 minutes.

"Stephane was excellent tonight," said Spurs coach Chris Hughton. "We have always been aware of the quality he has. Some foreign players adapt quickly while others take longer, and we can now see the real quality that he has.

"He has got better and better in the period of time he has been with us and his ability is there for all to see."

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce said: "In the first half we just couldn't handle their front three, they caused us all sorts of problems especially as we had a makeshift back four. Dalmat, Kanoute and Keane were a problem all evening with Dalmat exceptional on the night.

"We were looking for effort in the second half and we saw a response, but Spurs were a danger every time they went forward."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wednesday, January 7, 2004

FT Report: Tottenham 4-1 Birmingham

PA

As one French hero departed, so emerged another Gallic genius to warm the hearts of the suffering Tottenham fans as Stephane Dalmat bagged a brace in a 4-1 win against Birmingham.

Dalmat celebrates his first goal. (PhilCole/GettyImages)

Hughton: Dalmat showed quality

Fredi Kanoute may be off to Tunisia to represent Mali in the African Nations Cup, but his French counterpart Dalmat lifted some of the gloom around White Hart Lane with two goals in the space of 14 minutes to lift Spurs out of the bottom three.

An encouraging night for the Londoners was rounded off by Welsh international Simon Davies, who marked his first start since early September following a hip injury by guiding home the third to finish off Steve Bruce's Birmingham by half time.

Robbie Savage tucked home a 67th minute penalty - but the three-goal advantage was restored after 78 minutes when Robbie Keane scored a deserved goal.

There was a buzz around north London before kick-off as Giovanni Trapattoni became the latest name to be linked to the vacant manager's job, amid rumours that the Italian national team coach was due to watch this encounter.

Trapattoni's presence was not confirmed, but the Italian was soon forgotten as Spurs came flying out of the traps to end a run of four successive league defeats.

It was Dalmat who fired the hosts into the lead after only seven minutes.

Darren Anderton fed him on the right edge of the box with a square pass and the man on loan from Inter Milan drilled a left-foot drive along the ground and into the bottom left corner - his second goal for the club.

It was the first time Birmingham's defence had been breached inside the first 15 minutes of a Premiership game this season - and they were beaten again when Dalmat pounced after 23 minutes.

It followed great work by Keane, who twisted and turned his way inside the right corner of the six-yard box before drilling in a low cross.

Maik Taylor could not hold it and the ball fell at the feet of Dalmat, who swept it home from just a couple of yards.

Keane might have scored after 28 minutes when he raced clear from halfway, but he snatched at his shot from 16 yards and Taylor dived low to his left to save.

The Republic of Ireland striker had another great chance after 34 minutes following Dalmat's looping cross from the right, but somehow failed to connect properly at the far post and knocked the ball wide.

Davies is one of the men struggling Spurs have missed this season and showed why when he scored their third after 39 minutes.

Johnnie Jackson, playing as an emergency left-back while Mauricio Taricco is suspended, delivered a good cross and Davies popped up unmarked on the six-yard line to sidefoot the ball into the far corner.

Blues boss Bruce, taking charge for the 80th game, must have wondered what had hit his team, who had started the night with the chance of climbing into fifth place in the table.

On another night Keane might have had a hat-trick, but his sights were off again after 51 minutes when he jinked his way between two defenders to the edge of the six-yard box but somehow blazed the ball high over the bar.

Birmingham won a corner after 64 minutes but from that Spurs broke away and almost grabbed a fourth. Dalmat showed more great skill before finding Anderton, who in turn fed Kanoute on the edge of the box. The 12-goal striker could not make it lucky 13, however, as he curled his effort against the bar.

The drama continued as Birmingham were handed a lifeline after 67 minutes in the form of a penalty after Dalmat tripped David Dunn - Savage tucking the ball into the bottom left corner to make it 3-1 and set up a tense finale.

Spurs need not have worried, however, as Keane finally got on the scoresheet with a self-made goal after 78 minutes.

The Republic of Ireland striker cleverly found Kanoute on the right before racing into the six-yard box to finish off the return pass and cap an important win for Spurs.

Hughton: Dalmat's quality there to see

Spurs enjoyed a double boost with a 4-1 victory over Birmingham to lift them out of the bottom three of the Premiership, and confirmation that Fredi Kanoute will be able to play for them at Leeds on Saturday.

First team coach Chris Hughton said: 'We are delighted that Fredi will be with us for the Leeds game.

'We have also asked Mali if we can keep him for a further week so that he can play for us against Liverpool, and hopefully they will assist us on that too.

'We realise we are going to lose him for a period of time and he is very important to us because he is our top goalscorer.'

While Kanoute's involvement in the tournament has dominated the headlines at White Hart Lane in recent weeks, it was Stephane Dalmat who took centre stage tonight with the first two goals.

Dalmat is on a season-long loan from Inter Milan and it was his contribution in the first half which separated the sides.

'Stephane was excellent tonight,' said Hughton. 'We have always been aware of the quality he has. Some foreign players adapt quickly while others take longer, and we can now see the real quality that he has.

'He has got better and better in the period of time he has been with us and his ability is there for all to see.'

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce agreed that Dalmat was too hot to handle for his makeshift defence, along with Kanoute and Robbie Keane.

He said: 'In the first half we just couldn't handle their front three, they caused us all sorts of problems especially as we had a makeshift back four. Dalmat, Kanoute and Keane were a problem all evening with Dalmat exceptional on the night.

'We were looking for effort in the second half and we saw a response, but Spurs were a danger every time they went forward.'

Birmingham came to London with just 16 fit men, having lost six players through injury in the past fortnight.

Bruce might be forced to go into the transfer market and he added: 'I am not one to make excuses but we came here with 16 players because that is all we have got.

'We have six people injured, with three of them defenders and another - Stan Lazaridis - who was playing as a left back.

'Two weeks ago we didn't have any injuries and now we have six players out, so this has altered my thinking and I'll have a look at it in the next couple of weeks. I won't panic, but we are short of defenders.'

soccernet

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dalmat man of the match

Stephan Dalmat scored twice for Spurs in their 4-1 win against Birmingham last night and claims he is feeling much more settled. "When I first arrived I admit it was difficult," said the on loan Inter star. "I knew that my time would come and I am so happy that I can contribute to the club going forward."

channel4 :proud:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dalmat's double delight

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 8/1/2004

STEPHANE DALMAT brought double delight to Tottenham by scoring twice in their 4-1 demolition of Birmingham. The Frenchman, on a...

Dalmat's double delight

STEPHANE DALMAT brought double delight to Tottenham by scoring twice in their 4-1 demolition of Birmingham.

The Frenchman, on a season long loan from Inter Milan, sparkled in the victory which lifted Spurs out of the Premiership relegation zone.

Simon Davies and Robbie Keane were on target but it was Dalmat, who also caught the eye against Crystal Palace in last Saturday's FA Cup win, who impressed most of all.

But he modestly told the official club website: ''It was very important to win because we have had complications in the league and I am very happy with this result.

"Now it is more important to win at Leeds, to get another victory would be very good.

"For me it is just important that the team wins. After, if I have played very well or no good, it is not so important. Tottenham winning is all that matters to me.

"I am very happy with how things are going for me here, I have had a problem with my back, but that is okay."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spurs climb the table - for now

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 8/1/2004

TOTTENHAM climbed the Premiership table after beating Birmingham City but coach Chris Hughton knows they will soon slide back.....

Spurs climb the table - for now

TOTTENHAM climbed the Premiership table after beating Birmingham City but coach Chris Hughton knows they will soon slide back into the relegation zone if the good work does not continue.

Spurs visit Leeds on Saturday for another match in which they must pick up points to assist their battle to avoid Nationwide football next season.

Hughton told the Spurs website: ''We needed that win and when we look at the lads they're showing good morale and good spirit.

''And the fact is that we know one, two or three wins will get us up into mid-table. We all know how difficult this league is with a lot of places up for grabs apart from the top three.

"But the most important thing is that we must win our home games. The three points lifted us out of the bottom three.''

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dazza keeps feet on ground

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 9/1/2004

DARREN ANDERTON is refusing to go overboard about Tottenham's 4-1 win against Birmingham as they prepare for tomorrow's battle with Leeds...

Dazza keeps feet on ground

DARREN ANDERTON is refusing to go overboard about Tottenham's 4-1 win against Birmingham as they prepare for tomorrow's battle with Leeds United at Elland Road.

But the in-form Spurs midfielder is also determined to avoid pressing the panic button because of the club's lowly Premiership position.

Wins against Birmingham and Crystal Palace in the FA Cup halted a run of four league defeats and a Carling Cup exit after a penalty shoot-out.

But Anderton, the longest-serving player at White Hart Lane, said: ''If we have a bad run people jump on it and, to be honest, if we have a good run people probably go over the top with praise.

"That's how it is now. The way the league is, two or three bad results and you are at the bottom. We've ended up in there, we all know we needed to pull our fingers out and the lads have responded well.

"We haven't had meetings or anything like that because we know what the league is like.

"There aren't too many points between us and the top six - three wins and we'd be in the top half, three defeats and we were in the bottom three.

"You have to keep your head and keep going. It's not easy when you are in the bottom three and at a club like this there is added pressure and people talk about it. "People love to put us down I suppose. We're used to that.

"What I will say is we have a lot of good players here, good youngsters coming through and it's all about confidence.

"Results like Birmingham and Palace will only help that. We know we didn't play too well over Christmas and it was a sticky period for us but hopefully we're over that now."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts