Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most clubs agreed they didn't want this, some of it seems fair enough, but I think this could have a lot wider implications for teams having large squads of players who are just on the books rather than in the first team squad, especially youth players of the same nationality as the club. They'll just buy them then farm them out to other lower league clubs to see if they are any good.

Angry clubs to fight UEFA plan
(Filed: 27/01/2005)

A major row is about to break out between the Premier League and UEFA
over plans by UEFA to have more home-grown players in club sides.

At next week's meeting at Nyon in Switzerland, the UEFA executive will
approve a revolutionary plan which seeks to limit the free-for-all that
has ensued since the Bosman ruling, with club sides now stuffed with
overseas players.

The plan will then go to the UEFA Congress at Tallinn in April for final
ratification.

From the start of the 2007 season, it is proposed that any club
qualifying for a European competition must have no more than 25 players
in their first-team squad. Four of those players, however, must be
home-grown, two of them having been trained between the ages of 15 and
21 by the club's own youth training programme, while two others could be
developed by other clubs, provided these clubs are part of the same
national association as the buying club. In other words, Chelsea would
have to field two players from their own academy and two others nurtured
by English clubs.

In the 2008 season, the number of home-grown players will increase to
six - three and three - and in 2009 reach the maximum of eight - four
and four.

UEFA say this is a very reasonable proposal, as even at eight players,
the rule would still cover less than a third of the squad. They also
insist that the players need not be qualified to play for their national
association. So the eight Chelsea "home-grown" players could be
qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland or Italy. UEFA's legal
advice is that by doing this they do not violate the Bosman ruling.

The proposal has met with fierce opposition from the Premier League, who
at their last meeting voted 16-4 against the plan. The four clubs said
to be in favour were Charlton, Aston Villa, Norwich and West Bromwich
Albion.

Geoff Thompson, the Football Association chairman who is also on the
UEFA executive, has been made aware of the Premier League's view. He
said: "I shall put the position of the Premier League to the meeting. We
need to look at all the considerations and not adopt a policy which
could be legally challenged. I could very well vote against it."

D

·
0 Posts
I can't believe 16-4 voted against those proposals. It seems fair enough. 8 players out of 25? That's still 17 none-homegrown still allowed.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
I think the top English clubs are justified for taking this stance. 2007 is only two years away now. This is just too short a period for clubs to be making changes on such a scale.

If this takes place in 2010 then it is justifiable as it gives clubs the time to re-think their transfer strategies and balance their squads. It is way too early to get this plan into action.

2010 should be the set date and that is the time when it should be implemented giving the clubs enough time to build proper BALANCED squads with the correct ratio that is required by UEFA.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Its way too soon for English clubs, and Scottish clubs for that matter, to implement that kind of change. We'd need at least 5 or 6 seasons. But I think it needs to come.

D

·
0 Posts
I think the top English clubs are justified for taking this stance. 2007 is only two years away now. This is just too short a period for clubs to be making changes on such a scale.
25 player limit
4 homegrown players
(at least 2 homegrown from Youth Academy)
(other 2 can be homegrown developed by other clubs)

Like that is hard thing to do by 2007? :stress: :howler:

ANY English club can do that now.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
DeJackal said:
25 player limit
4 homegrown players
(at least 2 homegrown from Youth Academy)
(other 2 can be homegrown developed by other clubs)
I can't think of anyone outside of Sol that we've bought off another Premier League club. We'll be fine for the 25 player thing since we have a small enough squad as it is.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think it is a fair proposal by UEFA. I like the part of the 2 youth academy. They should be supported.

D

·
0 Posts
khimik said:
I can't think of anyone outside of Sol that we've bought off another Premier League club. We'll be fine for the 25 player thing since we have a small enough squad as it is.
Yeah out of all the Premiershiop teams Arsenal would struggle, but even Arsenal could do it. The fact that Arsenal have only bought Sol Campbell (who they got for free) as the only English player from another Premiership club is a bit of a disgrace.

Infact at the moment I can only think of four English players that are part of the first team squad, and that is Taylor, Campbell, A. Cole, Pennant>>whos going.

But I suppose Arsenal wouldn't have a problem if they were a French club, with Cygan, Clichy, Vieira, Pires, Flamini, Henry, Aliadiere :rolleyes:

I'm all for these proposals, especially when you consider that Arsenal and Chelsea would not be the top two teams in England if they didn't have foreigners.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
DeJackal said:
Yeah out of all the Premiershiop teams Arsenal would struggle, but even Arsenal could do it. The fact that Arsenal have only bought Sol Campbell (who they got for free) as the only English player from another Premiership club is a bit of a disgrace.
I'm sure we'd buy more if they didn't come with ridiculously over-inflated transfer fees like Jeffers did. I think that really put Arsene off buying English players like that, having to fork out 8m for a player of Jeffers' quality is a tad on the disgrace side itself.

But I suppose Arsenal wouldn't have a problem if they were a French club, with Cygan, Clichy, Vieira, Pires, Flamini, Henry, Aliadiere :rolleyes:
And Liverpool? What of them? Why is it only Arsenal who is ever given this same criticism time and time again when we all knew Liverpool had more Frenchmen than we did last season and now have the same amount of Spaniards we do Frenchman - Aliadiere doesn't count because he's been injured since the Community Shield.

Infact at the moment I can only think of four English players that are part of the first team squad, and that is Taylor, Campbell, A. Cole, Pennant>>whos going.
Hoyte, and Bentley's on loan at Norwich. Smith has played Carling Cup matches, and Stack is English born but represents Ireland.

D

·
0 Posts
khimik said:
I'm sure we'd buy more if they didn't come with ridiculously over-inflated transfer fees like Jeffers did. I think that really put Arsene off buying English players like that, having to fork out 8m for a player of Jeffers' quality is a tad on the disgrace side itself.
It was Arsene who bought Jeffers in the first place, no one forced him to. At the time Everton were laughing to the bank with £8m for Jeffers, no one thought he was worth that much especially for an injury prone striker with a bit of an ego.

And Liverpool? What of them? Why is it only Arsenal who is ever given this same criticism time and time again when we all knew Liverpool had more Frenchmen than we did last season and now have the same amount of Spaniards we do Frenchman - Aliadiere doesn't count because he's been injured since the Community Shield.
Arsenal get more criticism because they are the champions, when was the last time Liverpool won the league? I think this year marks the 15th anniversary of not winning it. :pp

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
DeJackal said:
It was Arsene who bought Jeffers in the first place, no one forced him to. At the time Everton were laughing to the bank with £8m for Jeffers, no one thought he was worth that much especially for an injury prone striker with a bit of an ego.
Yes, but you can't deny that English players have inflated transfer fees compared to a player from France, for example. We haven't exactly had the option of splashing out big time on players for the last few years, and we'll always take the cheapest option if the two players are of similar ability. It's just good business to spend £2m instead of £8m.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well having these players in your squad doesn;t mean you HAVE to play them ;)

I would imagine that some clubs would just promote any player to the full squad just to comply with the rules.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts