Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season the gap between Arsenal and we, the fourth placed team was huge, but this season so far the gap is not that big, and still teams like Man Utd, us and Newcastle still realistically can figth for the top spots, I know it is a bit early to start analyzing such subjects as even West Brom have mathematically can win the title, but in my opinion the level of competition has increased this season, if performences and results go on for like we saw so far for the rest of the season then the EPL can retain it's title as the most entertaining league ;) :)

What do you guys think? did the level of competition increase this season or is it still like last season?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I don't care. There is so much money in football nowadays that it is no longer possible for a club to simply put together a decent team and win the league. The situation needs to be regulated urgently, because football is becoming boring, with every league becoming the same, with 4 or 5 teams competing year in year out and no other teams gettins a look in with a gap of about 20 points between the lot. It was such a refreshing change to see Real Sociedad come second and nearly win the league in La Liga in 02/03 because it was almost a 2 fingers up to UEFA and the money men in football that a struggling side could suddenly change things around thanks to a decent manager, a few stars and a few youth players, plus the odd reject from larger clubs.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Yeah, EPL is well on the way towards becomming not disimilar to the situation in SPL. With Sky now showing every other Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea game live on TV, there's no incentive for kids to support thier local team as they can watch Man Utd on the box just as often as if they went to every home game of their local side.

But at the end of the day, it's only going to be to the detriment of the big clubs if the rest of the league is subdued to a point where they can't compete at all. A competitive league benefits everyone, but these big clubs (the ones pushing for the right to market their own TV coverage deals in particullar) don't seem to realise that. Yes when they're done in England they can bugger off to some European Superleague and Chelsea can spend thier Saturday afternoons away putting 5 past Bayer Leverkusen and rise to the top of that league, but there isn't an endless supply of teams for them to subdue.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
At least football is becoming more balanced in terms of coverage for highlights programmes. With Match of the Day back we don't watch United/Arsenal/Liverpool every week and then 2 minutes of city 3-3 wolves, but are "treated" to watching Liverpool vs. Birmingham play a drab draw. MAtch choice is great, as I can now see a lot more of city, whilst the Premiership only shown 2 minutes of perhaps the most entertaining team except Arsenal. I actually think the Sky coverage of the featured match on Football first, the one for 90 mins, is good as well, as it does show smaller clubs. Last week I think it was Soton vs. Palace.

When City got promoted, it may have seemed unrealistic, but there was a chance we could push on and break into the top 4, as with Blackburn, Newcastle and Everton (7th in 2003), and there was the belief that money wasn't everything, even if we couldn;t win the league. Last season 4th place really was open for grabs, with the media tipping Villa, City, Bolton, Southampton and Newcastle to possibly break in at one stage or another. However a rich team got in, so the rich keep getting richer, and the poor cannot compete. Only a select few clubs can spend a lot of money. The top 3, liverpool, newcastle and spurs. 4 of them have been in the CL in the past 2 years, so that goes to show that the CL is destroying the premiership.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I think a lot of EPL teams have got better this season but I still think there will be a big gap between the top 4 and the rest by the end of the season.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
liverpool4ever said:
I hope not :)
I think Liverpool will be in the top 4 especially now you have Stevie G back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts