Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KO 20:00 Good Friday

Unfortunately Friday is a normalworking day here in Holland so the channel which shows premiership football won't be showing any footie on Friday since it also functions as a business channel :groan:
Radio 5 live then me guesses.

Well we don't have a lotto play for but we obviously should be looking to end the season on a high. Everton away on Friday then Man City at home on Monday should definitely see us get points if we give it all.

However'I am slightly weary of Evertons attack especially. Rooney is finding some form and the main man I fear from Everton who imo is their best player, Tomas Radzinski. He really has pace and proved it in the CL with Anderlecht (with a great little and large partnership with Jan Koller back in the late 90s) with us definitely playing one crap defender in the back, either Doherty or Richards, since King will be put in midfield, I can see Radzinski causing us a lot of trouble.

No goals last month and with this attack in front of us, I fear a 0-0 draw might be the best thing we can get. But who knows, new month, new chances and goals from our side! and who knows, Moyes might not go for pace but play carthorses Ferguson and Campbell up front :howler: that'd certainly make it a lot easier for our back line :D

COME ON YOU SPURS!!! :fero: :fero:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
A race between Ferguson and Doherty will be interesting :D

We have a good record against the Toffees.. However, our recent form may suggest that they have more chance of getting one over on their boogie team then we have of qualifying for the UEFA :howler:

Good Friday is a holiday in the UK, but I'll still probably miss this game as I'll be watching paint dry :D

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
It's Everton.

Mind you , the CL sugests that it's a week for upsets!

Still, it's Everton...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Team News vs Everton

By Neil Vaughan
Date: 8/4/2004

JAMIE REDKNAPP is set to continue in midfield for Spurs as they travel to Everton on Friday. Redknapp recieved 20 stitches in a facial wound...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Team News vs Everton
By Neil Vaughan for THEspursweb.com

JAMIE REDKNAPP is set to continue in midfield for Spurs as they travel to Everton on Friday.

Redknapp recieved 20 stitches in a facial wound and needed plastic surgery but has trained all week and takes his place in an unchanged squad.

Everton will be without Wayne Rooney, Duncan Ferguson, Peter Clarke and David Weir through suspension.

Alan Stubbs is the biggest of the injury doubts for Everton with a groin problem, while Francis Jeffers has a back injury, although Gary Naysmith should shrug off a groin tweak to be fit.

Everton (from): Martyn, Naysmith, Hibbert, Pistone, Unsworth, Yobo, Watson, Linderoth, McFadden, Gravesen, Kilbane, Nyarko, Radzinski, Campbell, Wright, Carsley.

Tottenham (from): Keller, Carr, King, Gardner, Doherty, Keane, Dalmat, Ziege, Brown, Redknapp, Kanoute, Defoe, Jackson, Marney, Bunjevcevic, Kelly, Postiga, Poyet, Ricketts, Taricco, Hirschfeld.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I very, very disappointing first half and an improvement in the second half with better possesion play.

Everton deserved this from the beginning with more heart and determination.

Keller: Not to blame but may have done more from the second free kick.

Kelly: Poor kid, as an inexperienced right back, Pleat saw it wise to play him as a makeshift left-back :rolleyes:

Carr: Good running for the second goal, and unfortunate booking for the red (very tame, should never have been off). But still not the player he was a couple of seasons back.

Docherty. Gave away two free kicks that lead to goals; very commited but uncomposed off the ball.

Gardener: Tried to cover Kelly a lot and got pulled out of position often.

Ziege: The worst I've seen him so far. We said he couldn't defend, so he was played in midfield, but looked very lazy.

Davies: Also ran quite a bit, but nothing too penetrative.

Redknapp: Should have had a rest after the injury, had no chance against a determined Gravesen.

Brown: Our man of the match. Worked hard and gave some steal to a cotton like midfield.

Keane. Also worked hard and tried to cover for our midfield frailties.

Defoe: Starved of service. And not good for him when we hoofed the ball too high many a time.

Subs:

Kanoute: Made a difference with his height when he came on, but no back up for the lad.

Rickets: Did all he could for the 20 odd minutes, And set up the goal. As with the idiocy of Pleat playing Kelly on the left, RR was played on the right :rolleyes: . Still worked hard and made a huge difference.

Bunjy: Was absent for the 20 mins he was played, as Carr's sending off pulled him out of position.

Forget defence; our problem is we need a LEADER, we were all over the place and couldn't dominate the game. TO Everton's credit, they worked well and were determined. With Gravesen and Kilbane shining. A special mention to the young Scotsman (McFadden) up front who caused problems with his runs.

Disappointed considering our place in the table. BUT also disgusted with 2 players playing out of place. Pleat has lost the plot...

Still love you SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Friday, April 9, 2004

Everton 3-1 Tottenham: FT Report

PA

Everton moved into the Barclaycard Premiership comfort zone with a first-half blitz against Tottenham at Goodison Park.

Free-kick magic: Gary Naysmith puts Everton ahead 2-0 (Bryn Lennon/GettyImages)

They battered Spurs, particularly in a cracking first half, and have now leapfrogged the north-London side into 12th spot - nine points from the relegation dogfight with six games left.

Moyes keeps aiming high

Everton found the visitors in a generous mood, and looking like they had been comfortable in mid-table for far too long.

Spurs were awful in the first half, and although skipper Stephen Carr pulled a goal back in the second period, he was sent off two minutes later to compound his side's misery.

Everton had struck with fine goals from three defenders in that opening spell, David Unsworth, Gary Naysmith and Joseph Yobo grabbing the goals which have now eased fears of relegation.

Boss David Moyes made just one change from the side that started last weekend at Newcastle, with Scottish international James McFadden coming in up front for the injured Kevin Campbell.

Jamie Redknapp played despite 20 stitches in a mouth wound and young defender Stephen Kelly came in for only his second start in the Premiership with Simon Davies also returning after a long lay-off with a shin splints problem.

And the Londoners were under siege from the start as Everton's quick and mobile front men ran them ragged.

The hosts opened with a flurry of chances, largely involving a high-speed Tomasz Radzinski.

First, he arrived on the near post to send a Steve Watson cross just wide before providing a swirling ball in from the right which saw Kevin Kilbane force Kasey Keller into conceding a hasty corner.

Kasey was jumpy and uncertain, but no worse than a shambolic defence in front of him who were continually torn apart.

Six minutes later it was Watson again the provider, pushing a neat ball into space on the right for Radzinski to drill across the face of Keller's goal, the American keeper diving to his right to push the ball away.

And it was no surprise when Everton took the lead on 16 minutes.

Thomas Gravesen's short corner to Gary Naysmith produced a swirling cross which Watson nodded on for Unsworth to turn into the roof of the net from close range.

Spurs had barely troubled Nigel Martyn to this point, just a long-range effort from Davies had brought the keeper into action. Then, Christian Ziege had a right-footed effort from 20 yards which Martyn held to his left.

But these were just rare moments of attacking intention from the visitors.

Another defender got into the Everton scoring action on 24 minutes. Gary Doherty brought down Kilbane outside the box, and Naysmith stepped up to curl a beauty into the top corner with his left foot.

Jermain Defoe almost punished a Gravesen error and Davies was maybe a little unlucky when referee Rob Styles waved away penalty claims after a cross struck Naysmith on the arm.

But Spurs were more concerned with stopping the flow coming their way and they could not cope with the pace and movement of McFadden, Kilbane and Radzinski - none of them playing as genuine central striker, but attacking from deep.

Carr was cautioned for a foul on Gravesen, Redknapp was booked for a hefty challenge on McFadden and Doherty for bringing down Gravesen as Everton took over.

Spurs defending was becoming comical, and Kilbane saw a long-range effort blocked in front of an open goal by Doherty after Keller had made a hash of a clearance.

But Everton were soon three up.

Doherty's foul on Gravesen produced another free-kick just outside the box on 40 minutes. Gravesen powered the ball in, Keller only palmed it out and Joseph Yobo finished off from inside the six-yard box.

The arrival after the break of Freddie Kanoute as substitute at least gave Spurs a target up front, and some pace and strength to trouble Yobo.

Carr attempted to stir Spurs with a run and long-range shot, but Everton continued to look likely to add more goals, with McFadden having two decent efforts before Radzinski scampered away down the left and fired across a gaping goal.

Spurs' efforts deserved some reward by now and on 75 minutes they pulled one back when substitute Rohan Ricketts' through ball found full-back Carr, whose left foot shot beat Martyn.

But Carr's joy was short-lived because two minutes later he received his second yellow card for a foul on McFadden, and was sent off.

Everton brought on Francis Jeffers and Lee Carsley for McFadden and Gravesen in the closing minutes, the points by now well and truly in the bag.

Moyes keeps aiming high

Everton manager David Moyes insisted his side were now looking at the top half of the Barclaycard Premiership table rather than over their shoulders at the relegation zone after a 3-1 win over Tottenham tonight.

First-half goals from David Unsworth, Gary Naysmith and Joseph Yobo set the Toffees up for a comfortable second half, with Stephen Carr pulling one back for Spurs before the Irishman was sent off for two bookable offences.

It has been a difficult season for Moyes, who steered Everton to seventh place last season and is hopeful a run of wins at the end of this season can bring a disappointing campaign to a positive conclusion.

'I've been saying all along that we should keep looking up and aim for the same points tally as last year,' the Scot told Sky Sports Premiership Plus.

'I certainly believe the players are good enough to be in that position, but the table doesn't lie.

'I will be delighted when we get points to be safe and this result goes a long way towards doing that, but we shouldn't be a side just struggling year in, year out and we need to try and turn that around.

'You have to think, `do you put up with it?' I don't want to put up with it, I want to be managing one of the teams at the top of the league.'

Goalscorer David Unsworth added: 'I think as regards to closing down, work-rate, making chances and finishing chances it was great, it was a big win for us.

'Our home form's been excellent, away from home we haven't picked up as many points as we would like but hopefully now we can win a few more games and push up the league.

'It was a big, big win for us, it gives us a bit of breathing space and hopefully we can have a good end to the season.'

Spurs caretaker manager David Pleat admitted his side's 'dreadful' start proved costly.

He told Sky Sports Premiership Plus: 'I thought were very poor, particularly in the first 20 minutes when the stage was set which put us out of it and that set the tone of the game.

'We played negatively and without enough passion.

'We were second-best, Everton got into us and we played far too many back passes. Everton were forcing us back; we gave the ball away too often, it was just a dreadful first 45 minutes.

'They did poorly and I don't even take comfort from the fact that in a difficult position we played with a little more fire in the second half. You've got to start games well.

'We shall want a response. There are not only a few wounded hearts, there are players carrying knocks, but it was a bad result and a bad performance.

'For the supporters who've made the long journey to come and watch us, I feel for them because we succumbed far too easily.

'Everton showed far more thrust and far more drive, even though the goals came from set plays.'

soccernet :depress::(

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor performance as you said Hak. Probably a waste of money for you , it being PPV and more so for the 3000 or so fans who travelled up to Liverpool.

Everton wanted it more and we just didnt turn up. Our only decent move resulted in a goal so it shows Everton certainly weren't undefeatable on the night either. Gravesen was king of the midfield while we had little to offer in return. Van Bommel really is a must in midfield since Redknapp imo doesn't have enough steel to do it in tough away games against sides who challenge you to the ball 90 minutes long.

Hopefully with V Bommel next season, Brown will have more of a chance to show the attacking side to his game since he seemed to score quite regularly for Sheffield United while he only has scored one for us and that was more down to good old Ian Walker.

Davies has been disappointing us for a long time btw. I'm wondering if he really has it in him to be a good right midfielder for a side aspiring to get into Europe like us. It always comes in patches with him, even without the injuries though Pleat obviously hasn't helped sometimes with him for example being played on the left against Man City. :eek:

We're now 6 weeks without a goal. Surely we will score one against Man City. Come on boys. Audere est facere!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Pleat on draw

By Pete Coleman
Date: 12/4/2004

Tottenham caretaker boss David Pleat was in defiant mood after today's 1-1 home draw with Manchester City. Nicholas Anelka put the...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Pleat on draw
By Pete Coleman for THEspursweb.com

Tottenham caretaker boss David Pleat was in defiant mood after today's 1-1 home draw with Manchester City.

Nicholas Anelka put the visitors ahead on 25 minutes and it could have been 2-0 just before half time with Robbie Fowler forcing a great save from Kasey Keller.

Spurs hit the woodwork in the 50th minute before Jermaine Defoe gave the home fans something to cheer about 2 minutes later, cutting inside and rolling the ball under James for the equalizer.

Having had a goal ruled out for offside and strong claims for a penalty turned away. Pleat feels his side deserved more.

"It was a tense game because we had lost our previous four and a fifth defeat would have been bad, but I felt we shaded the game and I am very pleased with the character and commitment shown by my players"

Spurs have now notched up only one win in the last 8 games but caretaker boss Pleats remains adamant that the fans have need not to be panicking just yet.

"We have 38 points now and it will take a mammoth effort for the clubs at the bottom to get out."

However, this was not the view of the Spurs faithfull, who let their feelings be known with chants of "We want Pleat out" echoing around White Hart Lane.

"They pay their money, but I'm only acting manager so I don't know why they are worried"

Spurs will not be relishing the visit of north London neighbours Arsenal in two weeks time if their recent performances are anything to go by and with five games left until the end of the season, May 15th cant come soon enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts