FOX Soccer Channel (FSC)
English Premier League
Chelsea vs Tottenham Hotspur

soccertv.com

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Jol ready for Chelsea

Martin Jol has said his team will be ready for a fight against Chelsea on Saturday and believes if his team could secure a win it would be a significant step forward in their strive for a European Champions League place. Since Jol took charge of Spurs, they have not managed to beat any one of the four top English sides, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea.

With Chelsea being dumped out of the Champions League this week by Barcelona, they could be vying for revenge. But with Arjen Robben suspended, Jol believes Spurs could be in with a chance. “Our first win against a top four side will be a significant step forward for us, it will be a big step for us but even last year we did well.”

“We should have beaten Manchester United with the Pedro Mendes goal that wasn't allowed and had to accept a 0-0 draw instead. Arsenal beat us 5-4 but they never concede four goals, so there are always positive things to take from these results. I think for the last two seasons there have been a lot of positive things happening here but it still doesn't mean we could beat Real Madrid or Barcelona. That's something for the future.”

“This season we were satisfied with a draw away from home against Manchester United. Against Arsenal at home we played very well in the first half and got a draw and we lost to Chelsea with 10 men.”

Jol in optimistic mood believes that if his Spurs team play to their strengths they could cause an upset at Stamford Bridge, “We have our strength and they have theirs. Chelsea are the strongest team in England, especially at home. So we will have to use all our strength and qualities to get a result. But we had a good result their last year. We have only lost against Chelsea in the last 14 months at home so I still feel we are getting better. Charlton and Portsmouth did very well against Chelsea, so hopefully we can do the same. If you concede early against a team like Chelsea it is a problem so our main focus will be on a clean sheet and to score a couple of goals. If we play well, we will always try to play in their half."

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
we haven't beaten a top 5 side all season and with Chelsea losing on Tuesday, expect them to be up for this :groan:

Will probably end up 2-0 to them again

Will be interesting to see what Jol'll do though. Stick with Keano/Mido up front or perhaps go for little and little as pace is what can unsettle Chelsea's defence, not height or will he reinforce midfield and go for one up front ?

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I think maybe with a little luck Tottenham might get a draw, they should not be underestamated and our players are mentaly very tired right now ,so a draw looks like an obvious choice.
If Jose can manage to stop Keano and Mido from interacting this game it will be a difficult game for Tottenham to score. Personally I think that we might get a win but as I said a draw is the most likely result. If you make silly mistakes at the back like against Blackburn we might just snach it.
Best of luck to your Team

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spurs boss Jol: Mourinho okay by me
tribalfootball.com - March 11, 2006

Tottenham boss Martin Jol says he is a big fan of underfire Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The mouthy Portuguese boss has suffered heavy criticism for his manner on and off the pitch - and yesterday refused to hold a press conference ahead of this lunchtime's match.

Yet Spurs chief Jol insisted: "He won everything with Porto. He won the league with Chelsea and now the Carling Cup.

"Last year it was the same but nobody was criticising. It was all new and everybody liked it.

"If he wins, everyone will say he is great but if he starts losing he becomes vulnerable. If you're a big manager, you get all the criticism.

"I think Mourinho is the jewel in the crown."

Mourinho and Bryan Robson had a bitter bust-up at West Brom last week, with the Blues chief refusing to shake hands at the end.

Jol added: "Mourinho was having a laugh and Bryan asked 'What is the problem?'

"Bryan did well because he said afterwards there was no problem."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tottenham's Carrick loves watching Chelsea
tribalfootball.com - March 11, 2006

Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick admits he's a regular visitor to Stamford Bridge - but only to see his good pal, Chelsea ace Joe Cole.
Carrick, 24, said: "I've been to see Joe a good few times in the Champions League now. I went to both of the Chelsea v Arsenal quarter-finals a couple of years ago and to that amazing Barcelona game last season, as well as this year.

"I enjoy just sitting in the stands and watching the top players to appreciate what's on offer, as a football fan more than anything else."

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Yeah, Essien with his 1st goal. We aren't playing good.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Take that filthy chavs :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: 1-1

Disappointing first half from us. Davids and Jenas have found it hard to keep possession of the ball and our goal pretty much came out the blue. Hope it'll give us some stimulance to perform better in the 2nd half cos we'll definitely need to.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts