Registered
3,979 Posts
-----------------Almunia---------------
Sagna---Campbell-------Song-----Clichy
----------------Denilson---------------
--------Diaby------------Fabregas------
Nasri-----------Bendtner--------Arshavin

Subs- Fabianski, Rosicky, Walcott, Silvestre, Merida, Eduardo, Eboue

looking at birmingham's midfield i think that is an area we can exploit, we have so much more quality in there. silvestre cannot play with campbell as that will make us very vulnerable to the threat posed by benitez.

walcott could have a crucial impact here. already looking forward to the game.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

looking at birmingham's midfield i think that is an area we can exploit, we have so much more quality in there. silvestre cannot play with campbell as that will make us very vulnerable to the threat posed by benitez.

IMO a draw is the best we can hope for.

Birmingham have not lost in St.Andrews since September, that includes results against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City and Everton.

Also ref will thugs like Ridgewell to kick us off the pitch, I have no doubts on that, with the absence of TV and Gallas a victory seems highly unlikely.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
bit pessimistic? with the character these lads show i dont see any reason why we cant win at birmingham. will be tough of course but we have a lot of quality. TV is of course a big miss, but song and campbell will cope well with any physical battles. and denilson, diaby and fabregas will have barry ferguson, and whoever else chasing shadows in midfield. with recent results we have no reason not to be confident and anything other than 3 points when we are chasing the title would be a big disappointment.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bit pessimistic? with the character these lads show i dont see any reason why we cant win at birmingham. will be tough of course but we have a lot of quality. TV is of course a big miss, but song and campbell will cope well with any physical battles. and denilson, diaby and fabregas will have barry ferguson, and whoever else chasing shadows in midfield. with recent results we have no reason not to be confident and anything other than 3 points when we are chasing the title would be a big disappointment.
Will be similar to Hull and Stoke.

Ref will allow barbarians like Ridgewell to kick lumps out of Arsenal which will ensure a tight game.

Who knows the ref may even gift another bogus PK which would be the third on the trot.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
This is going to be a difficult game considering the fact that Birmingham are good at home and have done well against the other top sides. Having Gallas and Vermaelen missing is also annoying, but this is simply a game that the boys just have to find a way to win. Champions don't find excuses, Champions just get on with the task and even with the absentees at the back there is still enough quality available to go to St. Andrews with three points.

Silvestre is someone who I don't want anywhere near the XI so I guess its Song at the back, with Denilson given the deep role in the middle.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Denilson impressed me today.

When he got shrugged off the ball in the first half, I thought to myself "same ol' same ol', but he grew after the Vermaelen red card.

He managed to do Song's job by imposing himself more, and was faultless second half (if memory serves me right).

I mention this as he may need to do a job in Song's place, should Wenger move Alex into defence.

Also scored that goal, which I nearly forgot about.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
agree, denilson looked like a proper dm today, just sat in front of the back 4 and intercepted, and played the simple ball, he was excellent today.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is going to be a difficult game considering the fact that Birmingham are good at home and have done well against the other top sides. Having Gallas and Vermaelen missing is also annoying, but this is simply a game that the boys just have to find a way to win. Champions don't find excuses, Champions just get on with the task and even with the absentees at the back there is still enough quality available to go to St. Andrews with three points.

Silvestre is someone who I don't want anywhere near the XI so I guess its Song at the back, with Denilson given the deep role in the middle.
Not excuse to state it's hard to win when refs condone rugby whilst we're trying to play football.

Statistics of the day in this game:

- West Ham made 36 tackles, of which 24 (two-thirds!!!) 24 were fouls

- Arsenal made 30 tackles of which 7 were fouls.

To make only 7 fouls in 90 minutes is very clean play by any standards. But on those 7 fouls amidst very clean play, the ref gave Arsenal a yellow and a red card. West Ham basically fouled every time they tackled, with on average each outfield player fouling Arsenal more than twice each - and yet and they only got 4 yellows.

That is what is wrong with PL refs, players can get a card for diving much easier than poor tackling or rotational fouling.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Wouldnt it be better to play Silvestre and put song in the correct position than play Denilson defensivel away from home? This is the seasondecider for us if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think Wenger might have played Song at CB yesterday with a view to playing Silvestre and Song at the back in the Birmingham game. Remember that Sol will struggle to play two games in a week, and particularly because of the importance of the Barcelona match Wenger may want to keep Sol fresh for that game.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Tunis, are you Arseblogger in disguise? :pp

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
Brum play for fvck all. They escaped relegation. Sitting comfortable in mid table. If we play our usual game, we'll beat them.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Brum are good at home but we have enough to dominate them and come home with the points. Denilson needs to continue his good recent form so we can afford to play Song at CB. Diaby and Cesc will control the game. Just need Arshavin and Bendtner to be clinical.

I wonder if Eduardo will play a part in this game, knowing where it is and the historical significance.

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
Wouldnt it be better to play Silvestre and put song in the correct position than play Denilson defensivel away from home? This is the seasondecider for us if you ask me.
but playing silvestre means we most likely will concede a goal. but you do make a good case that song should play DMF as he's done all season and has handled plenty of premium CMF's well enough.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Song should be CB. I think Wenger needs to use players with good defensive capability like Sagna, Rosicky, Diaby like yesterday and try to clear the ball before it reaches the penalty area.

Have you guys wondering why Arshavin always good in 2nd half ? It's because in 2nd half, we don't play possession football as tight as in first half. Arshavin is good in receiving through pass and make counter-attack with his running skill. The opponents knows this very well and they always have 3 players mark him all the time. If only we have good lone striker upfront (who knows and good scoring goals), we would be more effective on counter. We should make good use of Arshavin against the Brums.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
Quick question just for fun? What would you take? 3 points on Saturday or a win over barcelona without conceding at the Emirates? First option for me. Definitely.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
What a tough game this will be. United, Chelsea and Spurs all drew there. Add the psychological pressure of going back to St Andrews for the first time after the Eduardo-Clichy late penalty nightmare of 2 years ago. If we win here I may start believing its our year.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Quick question just for fun? What would you take? 3 points on Saturday or a win over barcelona without conceding at the Emirates? First option for me. Definitely.
Of course, 3 points against Birmingham.

Say we win against Barcelona, what's next ? We have to face Mourinho's Inter next. That's not easy since Mourinho is very clever football tactician and the fact that we never won against his Chelsea. And even by miracle we made it to the final, do we still have the strength we need to win the match where United most likely is waiting there ? And I'm not being pessimistic, but more realistic.

I hope Wenger won't make mistake by thinking about resting player here. Barca will also have a tough away match against Mallorca in the same day we face the Brums. So it's all the same.

I don't care if we lost 5-0 and got laughed by some Cules here. Getting full points from St. Andrews, that's our priority. All players must play like life and death in that game.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts