Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our game v Blackburn at home last Saturday postponed due to Rovers game in Cardiff, we find ourselves still outside the drop zone with a game in hand.

I would imagine that we will play the same team as last bar a swap for Greening as he is serving his 3 match ban for the red card at Villa.

Do we move Richardson from middle to wide left and then play Scimeca or Chaplow in CM? Or maybe push Gera wide left and play Richardson wide right? I hope not as Gera is best on the right or inside.

I'm hoping for a draw, but I think we may lose 2-1. :(

I fancy Gera to score running from midfield.

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10366~654047,00.html
Chaplow: "You can count on me"
RICHARD Chaplow is chomping at the bit to make his full Barclays Premiership
debut at Tottenham on Wednesday, insisting: "The gaffer can count on me."

The £1.5million midfielder has been patiently waiting in the wings since his
January move from Championship outfit Burnley, with only a brief run-out in
last month's 4-1 win at Charlton to speak of.

But, with Jonathan Greening beginning a three-match ban at White Hart Lane,
Chaplow could get his chance.

"Unfortunately, Jonathan's dismissal was upheld by the FA so there is a
space open for someone to go in," said the 20-year-old ace.

"Hopefully, it will be me. I haven't really had my chance so hopefully I
will get a go at some point.

"I've had to be patient.

"I came into the club and expected to be playing more than I have.

"But you have to look at the situation as a whole and West Brom have been
doing well so I've had no complaints.

"You can't expect the manager to change a team that is doing well. Now that
Jonathan is out, I might well get a chance.

"I'm confident in my own ability and know I can do it.

"If the manager wants me to take Jonathan's role, or play somewhere else, he
knows he can count on me.

"I certainly won't let myself or the club down if I am picked."

Albion remain fourth-bottom, but now have a game in hand, after the
weekend's results went in their favour.

The Baggies will drop back into the relegation zone tomorrow (Tuesday) if
Southampton, who have played a game more, get at least a draw at Champions
League-chasing Bolton.

But Chaplow believes Bryan Robson's men need to look at pushing up the table
rather than looking over their shoulder in their final six games.

"Hopefully, we can keep picking up points because we feel we've got a good
chance of getting out of it now," he added.

"We have to concentrate on doing the business ourselves. We have to ignore
other results.

"And we need to do the business at Tottenham.

"We worked hard to get out of the bottom three. We deserved to get out of
it.

"But we need to keep that momentum going and build on what we've done.

"Hopefully, we can plough on and maybe even rise up the table to
fifth-bottom to be totally sure. That has to be our next aim."

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tottenham defender Thimothee Atouba is available again after serving a three-match ban for violent conduct.

Noureddine Naybet (hamstring) has a chance of playing, while Egyptian striker Mido (stomach) is training but not match-fit.

West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening starts a three-match ban, with Kieran Richardson in the running to fill in.

Junichi Inamoto, Riccardo Scimeca, Richard Chaplow and Jason Koumas are also in the running for a start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham (from): Robinson, Cerny, Kelly, Edman, King, Atouba, Naybet, Dawson, Ziegler, Mendes, Davies, Davis, Reid, Carrick, Bunjevcevic, Marney, Kanoute, Keane, Defoe.

West Brom (from): Hoult, Albrechtsen, Gaardsoe, Clement, Robinson, Gera, Wallwork, Richardson, Koumas, Inamoto, Scimeca, Chaplow, Campbell, Horsfield, Earnshaw, Kanu, Moore, Kuszczak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham assistant manager Chris Hughton:
"If I look at how West Brom have approached most games over the past few months they have tried to win in all of them.
"And if I look at their form recently, it has certainly been consistent.

"They have played a good passing game. It gives them a chance of winning a game home or away."

West Brom manager Bryan Robson:
"If we take nine points out of the next three games we'll make it almost impossible for the teams at the bottom.
"That's not likely to happen but you never know with the way we are playing at the moment.

"I feel the boys are up for the fight and going into these crucial games the attitude of the players and the preparation is good."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR and West Brom have targets at either end of the table to meet, as they prepare to engage in their fourth contest of the season.

Martin Jol's side are unbeaten in four, and are challenging for a fifth successive home League victory, as they pursue a top seven Uefa Cup qualifying spot.

Spurs completed the 'double' over West Brom when they were last in the Premiership together the season before last. They recorded a 3-1 home win on that occasion, and repeated that scoreline in the FA Cup fourth round replay nearly three months ago, after drawing 1-1 in the original tie at the Hawthorns.

WEST BROMWICH ALBION are playing some of their best football of the season, and aiming to stage the most remarkable act of escapology in Premier League history. The club who were bottom at Christmas, and earlier in the season went 15 games without a win, have posted five League victories this season, and three of those have come in their last five outings.

The Baggies surrounded a 1-0 loss at Chelsea with victories over Birmingham (h), Charlton (a) and Everton (h), and followed those with a last ditch point in a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa last time out. They've won four of 20 top flight games under Bryan Robson and now look to the remaining fixtures at Middlesbrough, home to Blackbrun and Arsenal, away to Manchester United, and home to Portsmouth to calculate where the points will come from to guarantee an extention to their stay in the big time.

These sides shared two goals and two points when they met in the reverse fixture in August. Hungary striker Zoltan Gera celebrated his first start with a goal after three minutes for the Baggies, and Jermain Defoe levelled half an hour later. Albion have not beaten Spurs in eight League and Cup meetings, since an odd goal in five success in a top flight fixture at White Hart Lane on 3 November 1984.

Referee:

Chris Foy (St Helens)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Club stats
Fixtures
Going into the midweek fixtures: 7th 47 points
(all statistics are ahead of the midweek programme of Premiership fixtures)

Unbeaten in four.
Won two and drawn two in the Premiership since losing 2-0, away to Charlton on 16 March.
Won four of the last eight League matches.
Scored five goals twice in this Premiership season, and conceded five once.
Ahead at half time in only four of 33 League matches, but gone on to win all four - against Birmingham (h), Southampton (h), Everton (h) and Newcastle (h).
Gone in all square at half time on 23 occasions in top League games. Only Everton can identify with that.
Come from behind four times in top tier engagements this term. No club has drawn level from being in deficit less often.

Won the last three Premiership games at White Hart Lane.
Not lost in six at home in all competitions.
Won five and drawn one League and Cup games at the Lane since losing 0-2 to Chelsea in the Premiership on 15 January.
Drawn only three home League games. Only Everton have finished level less often in top table encounters in front of the home supporters (once).
Scored 30 times in the Premiership on home turf. Only Arsenal (43) and Chelsea (31) have netted more often in home top division encounters.
WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Club stats
Fixtures
Going into the midweek fixtures: 17th 28 points
(all statistics are ahead of the midweek programme of Premiership fixtures)

Won three of the last five - all Premiership.
Recorded four wins in nine League outings.
Seven points better off to this identical stage than during their only previous Premier League campaign, in the season before last, which resulted in relegation.
Won five Premiership matches all season. Only Norwich have won fewer (four).
Drawn more matches in the highest League than any other club (13).
Won four, drawn seven and lost nine Premiership games under Bryan Robson.
Drawn seven and lost 12 of the 19 League matches in which the opposition has scored first.
Scored 31 Premiership goals. Only Blackburn have netted fewer (28).
Conceded 14 goals in the last 15 minutes of Premiership matches this season. Only Crystal Palace have shipped more in that final quarter-hour segment (16).
Managed six clean sheets in this League campaign.
Never won a Premiership match in their history when the opening goal has been conceded.
Suffered the longest winless streak in the Premiership this season (15 games between 16 October and 16 January). Every club owning this particular sequence at the end of the campaign have never maintained their Premiership status.
Their 31 goals have been scored by just 10 different players (but two were own goals). Only Crystal Palace have a shorter Premiership scorers list containing nine players.
Won 11 of 70 Premiership matches all time.

Only club yet to keep a Premiership clean sheet away from home.
Won only four of 35 away games in their Premier League history.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Squad profiles

Jermain DEFOE has scored in all three Premiership and FA Cup fixtures against West Brom this season (four goals).
DEFOE has scored 22 goals this season, 13 in the Premiership. He trails Thierry Henry of Arsenal by eight goals in all competitions, and by 12 goals in the Premiership.
WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Squad profiles

Nwankwo KANU is a hat trick short of scoring 50 goals for English clubs (Arsenal and West Brom).
If he plays, Darren MOORE will be making his 450th career club appearance.

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE:
West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur
25 August 2004 - Ref: Barry Knight
WBA scorer: Gera 3
Spurs scorer: Defoe 34

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS
League: Spurs 40 wins, WBA 46, Draws 23
Prem: Spurs 2 wins, WBA 0, Draws 1

HEAD TO HEAD at Spurs
League: Spurs 26 wins, WBA 14, Draws 14
Prem: Spurs 1 win, WBA 0, Draws 0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts