Have a good time, urges the boss
By Andy Toft
Mar 10, 2005, 08:08

Bryan Robson will send Albion out against Premiership
leaders Chelsea with the instruction: "Just go and
enjoy yourselves."

The Baggies boss stressed his side were under no
pressure to get a result at Stamford Bridge next
Tuesday because everyone had already written them off.

And he believes that could work in their favour as
they face one of Europe's strongest sides.

"I will tell them to just go and enjoy the challenge,"
he said.

"Nobody expects us to win and that's great for us.

"We are going into a game where people have written us
off, but as long as the players believe in themselves
then I'm sure we can give Chelsea a real tough game."

Robson's men are finally off the bottom of the
Premiership and the manager believes Fulham and
Portsmouth are in danger of getting sucked into the
relegation battle.

"I think some of the other teams, such as Fulham and Portsmouth, who have taken three points from 30, could get dragged in," he said. "When you are in a decline like that sometime it can be difficult to turn that around.

"Those teams are still looking over their shoulders.

"They are not looking at where we are at the moment
but they are looking at Palace, they are not in a
comfort zone with Palace and Southampton just below
them. They are within a couple of wins of overhauling
them."

But Robson knows the Baggies will have to string a run
of results together if they are to survive.

"We need to have back-to-back wins at some point," he
said. "If we can do that somewhere in the next few
games then it will put enormous pressure on all the
teams above us.

"When you are the manager of a club in freefall it is
difficult to get out of it.The last four or five games
we've taken five points, Southampton have taken six
and Palace five.

"We have got a game in hand, I know it's against
Chelsea, but you never know what can happen.

"If you look at it we are picking up points now."

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The game is live on Sky Sports 1 tomorrow (Tuesday).

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Sky sports

West Bromwich Albion travel to Stamford Bridge on Tuesday evening looking for their first Premiership away win of the season.
The Baggies are the only Premiership team who have not kept a clean sheet away from home this term and their propensity to concede goals has cost them valuable league points.
The Throstles have led for more minutes in their away games than Liverpool (196 minutes), Tottenham (161) and Aston Villa (124), all of whom currently lie in the upper half of the league table.
In all, West Brom have led in five of their away matches but have been pegged back on each occasion to record just three draws and two defeats. In contrast, Premiership veterans Tottenham Hotspur have led the same number of away games this term and won on every occasion.
With Chelsea possessing one of the two remaining unbeaten home records this season, along with Manchester United, West Brom's mission looks daunting on paper.
The travelling fans will be hoping that Jose Mourinho and his men underestimate the threat posed by the Midlands side and emulate Tottenham, Bolton and Manchester City by leaving West London with at least one precious Premiership point.

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jose mind games don't impress Robson

West Brom manager Bryan Robson has warned Jose Mourinho that Chelsea could become the most hated club in England if he continues to wind up every section of the football hierarchy.

Robson is seething at weekend comments made by Mourinho and Blues
skipper John Terry ahead of Tuesday's Premiership with the Baggies at Stamford Bridge.

The former England skipper is upset at reports in which Mourinho and Terry claimed that they wanted to 'annihilate' opponents.
And Robson believes that the kind of arrogance evident from Mourinho would be more acceptable if Chelsea, without a league title for 50 years, had matched the achievements of Manchester United and Arsenal during the past decade.

Robson said: 'I just hope our players have looked at the reports over the weekend where Mourinho and Terry say they are not content at just beating teams but want to annihilate them. That is an insult.
'For me as a professional that winds me up - and hopefully that winds my players up. I am sure that there are other players in other teams who look at those sort of comments and will think the same.

'People play these mind games and sometimes they come out with stuff which is good but sometimes it can be detrimental to you.
'We will only find out the way my lads play against them and the way other teams play against Chelsea for the rest of the season when they are coming out with comments like that.

'But the way they are winding people up a lot, then maybe they will become a club where people dislike them if these comments keep coming out. 'They will be the first ones to fall flat on their face if they don't get the results.

'If you keep winding people up from all different walks of life in football
- referees, officials, fans, players, reporters, etc - they will start
disliking you - and the tag will stick.'

Robson added: 'I don't think it has been a calculated thing by Mourinho. I don't think you can be as clever as that.

'I think it is his natural character where he comes out with things which he probably thinks helps his players. 'I think there are certain things you keep in the dressing room. I've played in great teams where people don't come out with things which undermine other teams and I think what was said at the weekend does undermine other teams in the Premiership.

'People disliked Manchester United because of the charisma that surrounds the club and they were successful year in and year out and after a while people got fed up with that.

'Arsenal got that a little bit as well when they won the double and then
kept on winning trophies and people were saying: 'I'd sooner someone else win it.'

'Chelsea are getting a bit of a tag like that but they haven't won anything for quite a few years. It is a bit of a different tag to what United and Arsenal had.

'For me, if Chelsea win doubles, trebles, year in and year out then you can maybe talk about yourselves a bit more.'

West Brom have already sprung one major surprise in London this season in forcing a 1-1 draw at Arsenal and Robson knows they will have to adopt the same industrious approach on Tuesday.

He said: 'It doesn't matter who you are playing but if you are disciplined
and work really hard for each other and get a few breaks, you can get a
result.

'That's what I'll be after from my players - a hard-working, disciplined
performance and hopefully we'll get the breaks and if Chelsea are off colour, then we can beat them. Hopefully they will underestimate us.'

Robson has a full squad to choose from, with the exception of long-term
injury victim Andy Johnson.

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its 1-0 to Chelsea and since the 60th minute I'm crying out here for Earnshaw to replace Horsfiled who is annonymous and Greening to replace Richardson who seems to give the ball away far to often.

·
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well a 1-0 defeat isn't too bad.

We tried a new system (4-3-3) and I think first half we had so many holes in the team we were getting ripped apart.

Gera is wasted on the left and really Greening should have played if Robbo wanted Richardson on the pitch. In the second half they swapped, and Gera was suddenly greta again and Richardson alas just didn't seem to play fluently today and lost the ball too much. I know Geoff tried, but he's too slow for the prem hence him always being offside. Hes a good 1st div player and I'd keep him for that when we get relegated. Earnie would have been the better bet for me as his pace caused Chelsea a lot more problems than Geoffs presence alone did.

I think there are a lot of plus points to take from the game like only losing 1-0. But lets face it we were sooooooo lucky that Drogba is utter pants otherwise we'd have lost 10-0.

All the defence looked like they played badly, but they were getting exposed too much first half, looked a lot better second half.

Wallwork for me was our MotM. Some of the little things he does are excellent.

I think 4-4-2 again for Charlton usual team with Earnie and Campbell up front. Maybe also Richarson out for Chaplow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts