Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the US and I rely on the internet for world cup related news. And I am still amazed at how little coverage there is of this event. Its supposed to be far bigger than the super bowl (and I believe that) but the coverage by English language web sites is just plain awful. Every site just repeats the same lame articles most of which are just injury reports or articles built around a single quote from a player.

Even the English language forums like this have hardly any postings. I follow some US College Football and their forums are full of posts even during the off season.

Maybe those of you in other countries don't feel this information shortage because your telivision coverage is full of World Cup news. But in the US there is nothing. It is a non event.

Does anyone know of any more active Azzurri forums or news sites. These are the ones I visit regularly, but they all seem to circulate the same lame articles:

www.soccerage.com
worldcup.espnsoccernet.com
www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/news.html
www.onefootball.com

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
You are right...there is nothing. Nobody at my office even knows what the World Cup is.

I had to teach myself Spanish in order to follow football. At least the Spanish-language television channels have some programs.

other than that, we in the U.S. are out of luck.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
baresi, unfortunately there's not too many good sites in English about Italian soccer. Not many that I know of anyway.
One that is not too bad is www.italian-soccer.com.
If you can read Italian then there are some good sites. I personally like the kataweb sport site which has the address: http://www.kwsport.kataweb.it/ and they have an Azzurri website also at: http://www.kwsport.kataweb.it/KwAzzurri
There are alot of other Italian sites but I only read kwsport regularly cause I gotten used to it.
I'm not sure of any really good 'Azzurri only' forums.
Here in Australia the world cup seems to have more interest in it than ever and if Australia qualified it would have been massive. TV coverage still sucks though because we got it split on two channels and one of them doesn't know a thing about calcio. They probably think it's played with an egg shape ball. :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
IL TORO said:

I'm not sure of any really good 'Azzurri only' forums.
Here in Australia the world cup seems to have more interest in it than ever and if Australia qualified it would have been massive. TV coverage still sucks though because we got it split on two channels and one of them doesn't know a thing about calcio. They probably think it's played with an egg shape ball. :D

IL TORO dude I'm so pissed that Channel 9 will show Italy's first two games :D I thought you were going to Italy for the tournament?

baresi, go to www.forzaazzurri.com for all you wanted to know about the Azzurri, plus news, and there is also a forum and chat room there, although it is not as busy as this one :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
IL TORO dude I'm so pissed that Channel 9 will show Italy's first two games I thought you were going to Italy for the tournament?
baresi, go to www.forzaazzurri.com for all you wanted to know about the Azzurri, plus news, and there is also a forum and chat room there, although it is not as busy as this one (KING ITALY)
You beat me to it, I was going to tell Baresi the same thing about Forzaazzurri.com. But I have to say that the site was so much more active during Euro 2000. I just want to add that I wasn't extremely happy about channel 9 getting the two Italian games either but at least we know that they have to show it live, Im just a bit concerned about the commentry though. They have a few problems on their hands when England play Argentina, it's going to interfere with Friday night Football. It's going to be interesting to see what they do there.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
SempreItalia said:
I just want to add that I wasn't extremely happy about channel 9 getting the two Italian games either but at least we know that they have to show it live, Im just a bit concerned about the commentry though. They have a few problems on their hands when England play Argentina, it's going to interfere with Friday night Football. It's going to be interesting to see what they do there.

Well on "The Footy Show" on Thursday they said they were bringing back the start of the Friday night football game by 1 hour so that 9 can cross directly to the Argie-England game after Friday footy has finished.

Regarding the commentary, I think they will be using some other international network for coverage, I don't think any of those lazy ****s could be bothered going there to commentate cause Channel 9 don't really give a **** about the game it's just the ratings.

SempreItalia, where abouts in Australia are you? I'm in Perth :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
King, Im in Brisbane....

I read in the paper "sunday" that they're going to use Andy Harper as a commentator, God help us !!!!

I've seen you on the Croat site before - I was on there last week but they told me to p!ss off. I wasn't being that offensive but hey they just didn't like what I was saying........ you get that though!!

Im not sure about this, but SBS will be using Martin Tyler...

·
International
8,545 Posts
Lol, we put up with plenty of your abuse, even you said you were surprised we didn't bite back harder;)

It's your choice not to post there, nobody's stopping you.

On the issue of English language coverage, I think the English do a great job, at least the real English, not American English if that's what you mean.

Would you really rather hear some Spanish dude yelling "GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLL"?

How gay is that, give it up already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
(IVO) [QUOTE/]It's your choice not to post there, nobody's stopping you.[/QUOTE]

Ivo, How can I post on the Croat site if JureM keeps editing my posts thinking they will create trouble. There was about 5 posts on their one day talking about the same issue. I get on there, say something and he aint happy and cuts a bit out!! What the f*ck is going on there??.. It's a forum where peoples opinions are expressed.... correct??

I wasn't happy put it that way

·
Registered
35 Posts
A debate was brewing between blood country and where you were born. Then it turned wanting to play for Croatia/Greek/Italian rather than Australia or Canada even if you were born in the respective countries but your parents were born in Croatia/Greece/Italy. Then it turned playing for Croatia because countries like Australia/Canada/USA rubbished ethnic origins and people from Ethnic backgrounds. I decided to have my say regarding what I personally feel alot of Croatians feel like they are treated here in Australia particularly. The forum was leaning towards saying that you should play for Croatia rather from where you were born because your parents are Croat. I have no worries about that but I decided to say that you shouldn't feel like anyone owes you anything ie: Australia owes these guys of Croat/Greek/Italian background for what they've done.

In saying that, JureM f*ck me right up and deleted my post, well half of it anyway. In fairness though he did warn me not to incite anything and looking back I probably would of got f*cking hammered if it was posted......

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
King Italy said:
IL TORO dude I'm so pissed that Channel 9 will show Italy's first two games :D I thought you were going to Italy for the tournament?
No, I didn't end up going through with that idea. Atleast I can finally enjoy to watch some good calcio in normal hours. :)

·
International
8,545 Posts
Well, such discussions ultimately lead to fights. It may be a good topic for discussion, but not at a football site. JureM isn't trying to silence you, but he needs to ensure the forum runs smoothly and sometimes we have to sacrifice valid topics to ensure an harmonious forum.

That's probably not the answer you're looking for but it's the way I see it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Ivo: Well, such discussions ultimately lead to fights. It may be a good topic for discussion, but not at a football site. JureM isn't trying to silence you, but he needs to ensure the forum runs smoothly and sometimes we have to sacrifice valid topics to ensure an harmonious forum.
Understood.........

Hey, can someone explain to me how to do these quote things properly ???

HANG ON, LOOKS LIKE I'VE FIGURED IT OUT

·
International
8,545 Posts
Glad you understand and hope to see you in the Cro forum again. I'm sure you'll ruffle a few feathers but hell, it's all part of the WC experience;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts