Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the late 1960's I was an avid hockey fan as there wasn't any football to watch in the USA. For the WC we had to go to a movie theater and I recall the 1966 WC was on a film called "Goal". So I was hockey fan.

Hockey is similar to football..same basic principles. Hockey in North America had a few artistic players such as Bobby Orr and Guy Lafleur..the rest were goons without any skills. The game was basically to shoot the puck into the corner and have a fellow player chase it with a high stick and elbows flying or shoot it at goal from mid-ice.

Essentially, the same football game played today in the UK..shoot from far away and hope that it goes in or get a cross in and head the ball.

Then in the early 1970's the NHL played the Soviets. With great anticipation, I looked forward to our boys beating the hell of them easily.

Then came the big surprise..I was astonished by the beautiful manner the Soviets played. Great passing with speed, teamwork entwined in artistic skill.

I believe the first few games were from the Red Army Team which beat the New York Rangers 7-3 and Phil Esposito, the Ranger center, who was overweight and who stood in front of the net and tucked in the rebounds, said to a reporter after the game "we just had a bad night". I laughed at this cause actually the Rangers were showed how to play the game.

I recall Boris Mikhalyiv going past three players and scoring a beautiful goal after faking out the goalie with a neat slow backhand into the goal.

I was amazed at the how the Soviets played..truly beautiful.

Then the Soviet All-Stars played the NHL All-Stars and I recall the NHL won by a goal in the last game in Moscow, it was a seven game series. The NHL roughed up the Soviets using dirty tactics.

After that I could not watch the NHL anymore..totally stopped watching them. How could I watch a garbage game with fights, fouls and no artistry after seeing the Soviets.

I equate it today to the British football style..most goals are scored from crosses, the excessive fouls and shooting from too far away in the hope that some how it's a goal. Of course the Top Four in the EPL do not play the game to that degree, but on occasions they do.

Then I remember watching Santos versus Inter Milan in New York..how the players handled and passed the ball..the skill they possessed.

Yes, British Football and to an extent other teams play the old 'hockey" football..truly sad.

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
mi a fasz ? ^^

·
Registered
58,893 Posts
Pista is right. I also watched a lot of icehockey in the old days, and I also remember Boris Mikhailov, he was the leader of the sovjets 1st forward line back in the 1970s. he was bloody amazing. so much skills, incredible.

and the comparison with football of today, I like as well because it's just 100% appropriate.

:thumbsup:

éljen Pista bácsi!

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pista is right. I also watched a lot of icehockey in the old days, and I also remember Boris Mikhailov, he was the leader of the sovjets 1st forward line back in the 1970s. he was bloody amazing. so much skills, incredible.

and the comparison with football of today, I like as well because it's just 100% appropriate.

:thumbsup:

éljen Pista bácsi!
Szovi,

I luys ya man! Was wonderful to see Spain in the last Euro play the game once again beautifully.

In my mind there is such a great difference in how the old players handled the ball compared to today's, In the good old days, it seemed like they were making love to the ball..it was a part of them..they were soulmates.

Today...kick the ball upfield and hope one of our boys gets it back and then do something with it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Pista...

You are spot on with the comparison.

(That is why the Chicago Blackhawks still suck :D They still play dump the puck hockey). Correction: they have sucked for about 20 years. I think they are finally doing better, but still can't beat my Red Wings who play an attractive style of hockey.

I consider EPL the kick and run Football League. Unfortunately for us here in the US, English Football has a lot of influence in our game. It drives me crazy to watch the kick and run football that is played. We have a lot of carpet bagging English blokes that could not get into the coaching ranks at home.

(Yes, Americans are suckers for an English accent. If you have an English accent, the chances of getting laid here are pretty good).

They are teaching our kids the ugly Football game.

Right now, you can't beat watching a La Liga match. Even the teams on the lower end of the table are attractive to watch.

The EPL has the theatre that our Football has. But, without the foreigners, the league would not be that attractive to watch.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
hmmm you seem to be nostalgic for old sporting events. i believe i may have something that might help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Classic

i've got it and they show a lot of old games. must say that occasions when i go and chose to watch an hour of some old game such as 1967 champions cup final between inter and celtic, than present day football...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts