Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all Englishmen, i'd like to know your opinion on these games, a bit late but we can still get a few posts in.

Tonights games:

Bayern Munich Vs The Arsenal
Liverpool Vs Leverkusen

Tommorow nights games:

Barcelona Vs Chelsea
Manchester United V AC Milan

Realistically the only team that has a real chance of advancing is United, we are the inform team and have been playing brilliantly, by far the best in England.

Chelsea has an outside chance but i no longer fancy them to go through, injuries have played apart but they have dropped in form in recent weeks. Barca at home should beat them, comfortably.

Liverpool are stop, start. One minute they play quite well the next their fans are jamming up the phone lines to complain about poor performances. They have a chance at home, but away from home, they do not have the quality nor the heart to advance.

Arsenal, the enigmatic side that bosses the EPL and fails to do the same in Europe. I can't see them getting anything from tonight, i just feel they have been found out and will come away from Munich empty handed.

Your thoughts please.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I think obth Chelsea and United will go out, there defensive systems are not used to playing calibre of attacks they will be facing this week and they will be exposed.

the Arse will breeze through against the horrible jerries and i think the Scousers have a chance, we may even meet in all British final. :D

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
am I allowed to post in here? :angel: :pp

back in December I predicted Man U to go through even when it wasn't going that well as it is now for them in the league and I still stand by it

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2503322&postcount=43

Mourinho will I think be too smart for Rijkaard. I like Rijkaard and I hope he'll win but the Portuguese will be too crafty imo. and I predcit a draw in the Nou CAmp.

Liverpool - Leverkusen. Tough one, I'd now say Leverkusen are favs looking at both sides league form and I reckon there are just too many frailties in the current Pool team to overcome the Germans. Especially if Leverkusen play on the counter in Anfield, Berbatov will be a man to watch. So I've changed my prediction from December as I guess I got emotional too after the win against Olympiakos :D :howler: and predict Leverkusen to take it.

Bayern - Arsenal. Can only go for one team as a Spurs fan and Roy Makaay fan. :D Mehmet Scholl getting back into form and full fitness in the last week could make the difference and make Bayern not miss the injured Ballack.

Looking a bit forward to the UEFA cup, Newcastle should comfortably beat Heerenveen while I tip Boro at least to reach the semis. I have a feeling it'll be their year.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jern Lizardhous said:
I think obth Chelsea and United will go out, there defensive systems are not used to playing calibre of attacks they will be facing this week and they will be exposed.

the Arse will breeze through against the horrible jerries and i think the Scousers have a chance, we may even meet in all British final. :D

Jern our defence has been incredible, the return of Rio has made all the difference. Besides Shevchenko is out, by far their best player and attacking option. We will need to be on the top of our game to beat them, but surely out of any of the other English clubs we have the best chance.

The arse will breeze, huff and puff. We may even see the occassional hand on hips gesture by Henry but we will not see a win, or an easy match for the Gunners. I don't see you going through

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wally said:
am I allowed to post in here? :angel: :pp
It's like an old Gentlemens club in here :party: As your an honourary Englishman i will permit it :shades:

·
63,337 Posts
Russell said:
Jern our defence has been incredible,
incredible against the lower lights of the EPL i'll give you that,this is a serious step up, they were also incredible a couple of years ago against RM.

same goes for Chelsea, they do not face attacks like Barca ever in the EPL.

on the other hand Cygan is about to come of age tonight and prove to all the doubters that he is genuine world class, you heard it here first. :googly: :lala:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jern Lizardhous said:
incredible against the lower lights of the EPL i'll give you that,this is a serious step up, they were also incredible a couple of years ago against RM.

on the other hand Cygan is about to come of age tonight and prove to all the doubters that he is genuine world class, you heard it here first. :googly: :lala:
Compared to the early season blunders conceded by our keeper and backline we are doing extremely well. In all areas of the pitch we have really stepped it up. You must also remember, who in Serie A plays as we do, who in Serie A will attack Milan in the same way as United will tommorow night? As i just said in the United forum it's going to be a shock for some Milan systems. Nothing will prepare them :D :stuckup:

I agree with you with regards to the Barca-Chelsea game, they really do not have much of a chance. They have not played a good side yet, by that i mean when they played us :) we were off form ;)

I think all of that spare time away from XT has driven you mad.....Cygan? World Class? the two words just don't come together ;)

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
Cheers Rus :D

Jern, have you been on talksport? a so called expert on talksports just been saying this afternoon that Cygan's actually been one of Arsenals most underrated and unfairly critisized defenders all season :D

as for Chelsea, I expect them to put the bus in front the goal. Yes Jose, the same one we had at Stamfrod Bridge :lala:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wally said:
Cheers Rus :D

Jern, have you been on talksport? a so called expert on talksports just been saying this afternoon that Cygan's actually been one of Arsenals most underrated and unfairly critisized defenders all season :D

as for Chelsea, I expect them to put the bus in front the goal. Yes Jose, the same one we had at Stamfrod Bridge :lala:
Apart from the James Whale show, i always avoid Talksport, some of the so called experts talk absolute rubbish.

·
63,337 Posts
Wally said:
yeah i heard him :D that was Keith who presents the fishing show, what was he on ? :lala:

Cygan is normally better in the CL though, he snuffed out United a few years ago with Lille with ease, he isn't quite as bad as he is in the EPL because it's not as physical and he gets more time, fingers crossed that Cole is fit though because he needs him by his side.

anyway, my predictions..........

Liverpool 3-1 Leverkusen
Bayern 1-2 Arsenal
United 1-2 Milan
Barca 2-0 Chelsea

·
63,337 Posts
Russell said:
Compared to the early season blunders conceded by our keeper and backline we are doing extremely well. In all areas of the pitch we have really stepped it up. You must also remember, who in Serie A plays as we do, who in Serie A will attack Milan in the same way as United will tommorow night? As i just said in the United forum it's going to be a shock for some Milan systems. Nothing will prepare them :D :stuckup: )
any defence with Silvestre in it will struggle against top drawer attacks, i just think their defence is far better equipped to deal with your attack than yours is theirs.

anyway, we will see who is right soon. :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Infront of the fire, hidden away from the snow and cold, a cup of coffee and some Fox's biscuits ;) while i'm watching the arse prance around munich pretending they are a european force.....magic :)

Can't think of a better night to be honest :D

No fans of the James Whale fan? Some of his views are so right-wing.

·
63,337 Posts
Russell said:
Infront of the fire, hidden away from the snow and cold, a cup of coffee and some Fox's biscuits ;) while i'm watching the arse prance around munich pretending they are a european force.....magic :)
one day you'll admit watching the way our players pass and move makes you feel clean and spiritual, perhaps on your deathbed, football is art when we play it. :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jern Lizardhous said:
one day you'll admit watching the way our players pass and move makes you feel clean and spiritual, perhaps on your deathbed, football is art when we play it. :D
No chance :lala: ;)

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Liverpool - Too many big players missing, not enough experience... don't see much going well for them.

Arsenal - Flip a coin, they can be awesome, they can be dire. I think they'll be poor but manage to get a result.

Chelsea - Lot of big players missing, their defence is big enough to cope with it though. If the team panic's, they're gonna get picked apart. I think they'll get a draw.

Man U - Of them all, they have the best form, the most options and an opponent with their talisman missing... I think they will win.

Jern Lizardhous said:
Barca don't face defences like Chelsea's every week (in fact most defences are a joke to watch there), good to know you think Barca's attack is better than Arsenal's though. :) What you're saying is rubbish though, people would much rather face Eto'o than RVN, Henry, Shearer etc.. Ronaldinho is more style than substance IMO, Terry has the same amount of goals this season I believe. With Ronnie taking the penalties. Robben did more in less time. So the idea there is no attack like Barca in the EPL is just silly.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Russell said:
Realistically the only team that has a real chance of advancing is United, we are the inform team and have been playing brilliantly, by far the best in England. QUOTE]

Why is it realistic that you are the only team with a real chance? You are playing the hardest team IMO in Milan with the best defence to boot.

Anyway, Arsenal got stuffed and so did Leverkusen :smileani:

·
63,337 Posts
I predicted a win and we got murdered, it's becoming a trend. :depress:

still i at least have 1 out of 2, it will be 3 out of 4 tonight, imagine Liverpool as our only represantives in Europe's 14/finals. :googly:

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
grrr shouldn't have changed my mind on the Liverpool one, though with Dudeks gaffer (the how manyth? :( poor man as he was so solid at Feyenoord), Leverkusen do have a chance.

as for James Whale, I used to listen to the king of wind-ups more but he's just hilarious :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think Liverpool suprised us all, even you Jern :) They got a fantastic result without their biggest players. Whilst Arsenal suprised no one, i'm not at all suprised that Arsenal were thoroughly embarrassed by a mediocre German outfit......That Bayern side was very organised but were nothing special.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts