Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steven Gerrard - This kid has the chance of being the most complete central midfielder in Europe.

Michael Owen - Everyone knows him, yet still under the age of 21! What more can I say!

Emile Heskey - Big, Powerful, still needs to work on his first touch and shooting.

Kieron Dyer - Already a full international, great pace, great tackling, good passing skills and can cross well, just what you want from a full back.

Joe Cole - Said to be the next Gazza (hopefully a little better temperment), has skill, vision, pace , needs to develop his strength to become a regular in the West Ham side. England very much expects Cole to be a future great.

Richard Wright - Said to be the future England goalkeeper, has earned a call upto the National side for the preliminary UERO2000 squad.

Chris O Brien - Great attacking midfielder in the Liverpool youth team, A terrific talent with all the qualities needed to become an outstanding player. Has great skill, superb vision, can shoot, is strong in the tackle and leads by example. He will possibly be a future Liverpool and England captain.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
As you have quite rightly pointed out, England have many great prospects, that have shown both talent and maturity. If you are a Liverpool Supporter, this must be a good thing as the youth system that the club have should be an example to clubs throughout the world.

Gerrard performed very well this season. Do you see him replacing Redknapp altogether? I suppose, if this was to happen, Redknapp would certainly leave. I think that Leeds Utd and Spurs have shown a keen interest.

In certain ways Gerrard reminds me of Liverpool great, Graeme Souness.

I also quite like West Ham’s Cole and Lampard. Further, down the line I Cherno Samba of Millwall, has shown great future promise.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What gave away I was a Liverpool fan? :)
The fact that most of the players are on Liverpools books? lol

As you said, I am extremely proud of Liverpool's youth system and talent scouts. There are however other clubs with good youth systems, the likes of Leeds, Man UTD and last but not Least West Ham. I think in the next 10 years the core of Englands team will be from these 4 clubs (It's already starting).
The only point about Liverpool's youth Academy that I can see as negative is that we don't seem able to bring through many top class defenders. I mean there are presently Carragher, and Matteo in the first team, but nether are what I would call top quality defenders.

I can quite easily see Gerrard replacing Redknapp, the kid has it all, vision, pace, power, tenacity, passing and shooting. It might take 2-3 years before he does, but it will happen more and more, and if you wanted to look critically at Liverpool's season, the form of the team dipped as Gerrard was out injured (2 points out of last 15).

As you quite rightly mention, Frank Lampard is a fantastic player, and can consider himself unlucky not to make it into the Euro2000 squad. He will surely replace the likes of Wise or Ince in the team, as he has a better tempermant and better skills than Ince.
You mention Cherno Samba of Millwall, and I'm sure you are well aware that Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester UTD are in the race to sign him, and this a kid of 15.
I think it is probably a good idea to try and sign them at such a young age, as if you look at Liverpool's last transfer 11 million for a player only 5 years older. So to get a player of his calibre for 1.5 million would be quite a steal, put that together with the opportunity to mould the player into the Liverpool way at an early age, makes sense to me.
I realise there are a lot more great talents in England, Leeds have a whole host of them with Bowyer, Woodgate, Bridges et al. I just concentrated on players I've seen first hand, and I can't wait for O Brien to break through into the Liverpool team, he is such an exciting player.

F

·
0 Posts
Stiven Gerrard - Liverpool
Mark Smith - Bristol R
Jamie Shore - Bristol R
Mathew Upson - Arsenal
Curtis - ManUtd
Kieron Dyer - Newcastle
Joe Cole - West Ham *
Frank Lampard - West Ham
Hendrie - A. Villa
Clinton Hill - Tranmere
Lee Bowyer - Leeds
and the biggest of all time
PAUL GASCOIGNE

F

·
0 Posts
I forgot the GK

Richard Wright - Ipswich
N. Weaver - ManCity
Simonsen - Everton

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh please, just because as a national team w don't suceed too often, doesn't mean that England don't have players coming through that would be able to compete in any league!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Etherington - Spurs
Harley - Chelsea

Also have you heared about a kid called Owen Price who scored a goal after 4.07 seconds. Apparently the ball was laid back to him off the kick off and he blasted it in. You never know.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
What was it like, I mean I'm a bit sceptical as there was a 14 year old in goal!!!
Apparently he tried it in the second half as well and it drifted just wide.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you've ever seen any internet feed, you'll understand it's sometimes hard to make out. I watched it about 5 times, and it seems that from the kick off Price just runs forward, nobody picks him up and his team mate passes a through ball to him, and he just hits it with some power for a 14 year old, and it rockets into the top corner!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
RazorUK said:
Steven Gerrard - This kid has the chance of being the most complete central midfielder in Europe.

Michael Owen - Everyone knows him, yet still under the age of 21! What more can I say!

Emile Heskey - Big, Powerful, still needs to work on his first touch and shooting.

Kieron Dyer - Already a full international, great pace, great tackling, good passing skills and can cross well, just what you want from a full back.

Joe Cole - Said to be the next Gazza (hopefully a little better temperment), has skill, vision, pace , needs to develop his strength to become a regular in the West Ham side. England very much expects Cole to be a future great.

Richard Wright - Said to be the future England goalkeeper, has earned a call upto the National side for the preliminary UERO2000 squad.

Chris O Brien - Great attacking midfielder in the Liverpool youth team, A terrific talent with all the qualities needed to become an outstanding player. Has great skill, superb vision, can shoot, is strong in the tackle and leads by example. He will possibly be a future Liverpool and England captain.
Just decided to bring this back to see if any of them have made it. Well all of them have been capped for England apart from Chris O'Brien so Razor was right who would become futre stars.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
They were already full internationals back then, and a few have not progressed from there. Wright is still stuck on one England cap (conceded 2 penalties), Cole didn't really star in this World Cup as much as I would have liked, Dyer is too injury-prone, Heskey still needs to work on his first touch and finishing, and O'Brien hasn't done anything.

A lot of the other future stars suggested here have also failed. Nicky Weaver hasn't accomplished much, and is not going to be a regular next season, Clint Hill is still wallowing in the lower leagues, and Upson still hasn't broken into the Arsenal team.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Casillas,Puyol, Joaqin,Aimar!
All of them are good!
;)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Firing said:
Casillas,Puyol, Joaqin,Aimar!
All of them are good!
;)
All of them are Spanish ;)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Oops. Didn't read the list fully to the end. Mind you, Aimar does claim Spanish ancestry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts