Xtratime Community banner

Who should be "4th" England midfielder

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Barring injuries, Eriksson will play Gerrard, Lamps and Becks in midfield. So who'd think should be the 4th starter, recently he's favoured King as a DM with Gerrard on the left or Cole on the left with Gerrard as DM.

Here's the candidates IMO:

Michael Carrick: the deep lying playmaker who can dictate a game and help england keep the ball while also protecting the back four, IMO it should be carrick, he'll give the team balacne and allow lamaprd to play more naturall as he has a DM type player next to him, plus Gerrard can attack more as he's more free on the right. This is my favoured one, the best option if you ask me :thumbsup:

Gerrard--Carrick--Lampard--Beckham

Parker: I would favour Parker over Carrick but Erikkson rates richardson above parker :yuck::googly:, i think Parker would give balance, protect the back four, give a bit of power and steel and let Lamaprd and Gerrard attack even more as he's more adapt and natural as a DM than carrick, even though it's not his best position IMO.

Gerrard--Parker--Lampard--Beckham

Jenas :scared: not much to say :lala:

Jenas--Gerrard--Lampard--Beckham

Hargreaves :yuck: same as jenas

Hargreaves--Gerrard--Lampard--Beckham

Downing maybe an option if the opposition has a weak RB.

Downing--Gerrard--Lampard--Beckham

Joe Cole: the most favoured line up of sven's, i think it limits all the players as they are all forward thinking, Gerrard is limited the most which means he has less impact on the game which is a huge loss.

Joe Cole--Gerrard--Lampard--Beckham

King: Give's composure and balance but may be weak if opposition are good at keeping the ball (Riquelme)

Gerrard--King--Lampard--Beckham

Ferdinand :googly: why does he want to play a top CB in midfield when he has so much midfield talent is beyond me.

Gerrard--Ferdinand--Lampard--Beckham

SWP :thumbsup: great for ultra attacking, but beckham is weak in the centre, makes too many fouls and too many long passes, means midfield is bypassed.

Gerrard--Lampard--Beckham--SWP

Phil Neville :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: sven has no boundaries, it seems chasing rui costa before falling like you've been snippered in the ass allowing for rui to score may not deter sven :scared:

Gerrard--Lampard--neville--beckham

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Depends on how you want to play, you've got some serious talent though. It's a shame none willl be used properly.

I would play like this:

S.Gerrard
F.Lampard
D.Beckham

J.Cole

M.Owen
W.Rooney

Something like that.....

But you guys will play a flat midfield four so:

D.Beckham
S.Gerrard
F.Lampard
J.Cole

I guess I'd go for Joe Cole in this case....what a shame...

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Parker.
Your team could look like this:

-------------------Robinson---------------------
--Neville-------King--------Terry-----Bridge-----
--------------------Parker----------------------
------------Gerrard--------Lampard-------------
---SWP-------------Rooney------------Cole-----

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Stygmata said:
Parker.
Your team could look like this:

-------------------Robinson---------------------
--Neville-------King--------Terry-----Bridge-----
--------------------Parker----------------------
------------Gerrard--------Lampard-------------
---SWP-------------Rooney------------Cole-----
Exactly! :D Although I would have Bent/Owen ahead of Cole. The team picks itself in my eyes but there you are.

Beckham has a back injury as well and instead of putting the team ahead of himself, he pretends he is ok. Because he knows that even the average moron after seeing SWP enough times for England will realise he does **** all. Or he just wants his caps to brag even though Sven has made them worthless.

King isn't even in the squad, I didn't even realise that. Crouch does **** all again yet I heard dipshit wannabe an England player Ray Clemence talking about how he is pretty certain to go. So its between Bent and Defoe for a fourth place. Unbelievable, he doesn't have to do **** all and gets a free ride. So blatently unfair.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Scott Parker without doubt. He's been nothing short of brilliant for us this season. He leads the midfield by example, his passion, drive and determination make him a player worhy of a starting at the world cup. Unfortunately Sven is inept and can't see this :rollani:.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Marc said:
Exactly! :D Although I would have Bent/Owen ahead of Cole. The team picks itself in my eyes but there you are.
Dunno about Bent, but if Owen's fit and he can play that role on the left wing he deserves a chance i'd say. It's just that Cole has proven himself there at Chelsea.

Marc said:
King isn't even in the squad
are you serious? :googly:
OK, make it Carragher & Terry at the back then.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think any of them are ideal. The sad truth is England's midfield doesn't have the ability to retain possession for large periods of play, and hasn't for a long time. I think Carrick would help with ball retention, and Parker would help with coverage and presence in centre midfield, one of the two. Cole doesn't really suit a 442, neither does SWP, especially when you've got someone evidently better on the right wing like Beckham.

It's funny with Parker because when he was at his best (at Charlton) he wasn't a holding midfielder but a box to box Gerrard type. Since Chelsea he started to become groomed as a backup to Makelele, and now Newcastle where he's needed as a holding midfielder as their defence is so abysmal.

None of the options are perfect, but that's difference with international football from clubs, unless England do a Portugal or Holland and try to naturalise a decent defensive midfielder.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts