Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,here is the 28 man squad.

Goalkeepers: David Seaman (Arsenal), Nigel Martyn (Leeds), Richard Wright (Ipswich), David James (Aston Villa)

Defenders: Tony Adams, Martin Keown (both Arsenal), Gareth Southgate (Aston Villa), Sol Campbell (Spurs), Rio Ferdinand (West Ham), Gary Neville, Phil Neville (both Manchester United)

Midfielders: Paul Ince (Middlesbrough), Dennis Wise (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard, Jamie Redknapp (both Liverpool), David Beckham, Paul Scholes (both Manchester United), Jason Wilcox (Leeds United), Steve McManaman (Real Madrid), Kieron Dyer (Newcastle United), Ray Parlour (Arsenal), Nick Barmby (Everton)

Strikers: Alan Shearer (Newcastle United), Emile Heskey, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen (all Liverpool), Andy Cole (Manchester United), Kevin Phillips (Sunderland).

Keegan has to pick 22,he said that he will cut one goalkeeper,two defender,two midfielders and one forward.

Who would YOU cut?

My choices:

Goalkeeper: Wright
Defenders: Keown,
Midfielders: Ince,Barmby,Parlour
Forward: Cole

Sorry Kevin,but I had to cut thrre midfielders and one defender. :)

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Keegan has to pick 22,he said that he will cut one goalkeeper,two defender,two midfielders and one forward.

GK - Wright

D - P Neville, Ferdinand

M - Ince , Parlour

F - If Fowler is Fit, drop Cole, but I'd rather take a 100% fit Cole than a 50% Fowler.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
where is kieron dyer?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
ok, the cuts:

GK: definitely Wright
D: Keown, P.Neville
M: Parlour, Wilcox(?)
F: Fowler

looks like a good english team.

S

·
0 Posts
G: James (Don´t trust him at top level. Not that I trust Wright a lot more, but the experience will do him good)
D: Southgate (Like Adams/Keown only much worse. Besides that, I don´t want him anywere near the pitch in case of a shoot-out)
M: Ince (see second reason Southgate), Parlour (Too many rigt wingers) and Gerrard (unexperienced)
S: Owen (Same type as Fowler/Philips but I think defenders got him worked out come Euro 2000)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SignoriRules,no offence but you would be the worst England coach ever.

You would drop Owen,Southgate and Gerrard? are you drunk?

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

M

·
0 Posts
1. James
2. Ferdinand, P.Neville
3. Parlour, Barmby/Redknapp
4. COLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advise: never bet against the likes of Owen or Fowler. Paolo Rossi did not play for 2 years!!! because of suspension, but Bearzot(coach) refused to replace him even after 3 mediocre performances (and no goals) for Italy in the group stages at World Cup'82. What was the result? Best player, top goalscorer and the world cup!!!
Moral: Even if half-dead Fowler has a chance to produce a goal, plus he is THE FUTURE. What's use of donkey Cole anyway?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
no one hates Cole more than me, but I think his team play has improved over the last two seasons, and although I don't think he is upto scoring at international level, I think he might be a better option than an unfit Fowler

S

·
0 Posts
Well AMOROSO!, allow me to explain myself. Adams, keown and Southgate are the only defenders in the squad, who plays nothing but central, and I would prefer the Adams/Keown-duo, simply because they know each other so well. And we all agree that the choice is between Keown and Southgate, if we aren´t to be short of full-backs, don´t we???

Wenn it comes to Gerrard, in was down to either him or Wise to be let out in the cold, and I prefer Wise because of his experience. How do you think Gerrard would react, if he were to be trown in to a game like the argentina vs england during WC ´98???? A hole lot worse than Wise, that would be my guess. Why???? Experience my friend...

Shearer, Heskey and Philips are the only strikers certain of a place in the squad, which means that either Owen, Fowler and Cole gets a longer holiday than they hoped for. Cole haven´t had severe injury problems like his 2 Liverpool colleagues. And if both Owen and Fowler are fit, I think Fowler is #1 choice.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion the certain strikers are Heskey,Shearer,Owen and Phillips.And there is a battle between Cole and Fowler (actually its a battle between Fowler and his fitness :)).Anyway,I dont understand why you wouldnt take Gerrard with you.He can play many positions,a thing which is veruy useful,and besides,there is a player that is not needed at all and in my opinion is really average.Ray Parlour,why keep him and not a player as talented as Gerrard,even if he is quite unexprerienced!

Besides,experience doesnt mean no mistakes,Bekcham had enough exprience when he made that thing with Argentina,right? and have I'm sure that Wise will be sent off at least once,so who would be his cover? you get rid of both Ince and Gerrard,who would play defencive midfielder if Wise gets banned or injured?

------------------
Any given Sunday,you either win or loose.That's FOOTBALL...

S

·
0 Posts
I didn´t mean Wise wouldn´t have been sent of, I mean that with 10 men, he would have been able to take the tempo out of the game and maybe help some of the youngsters to keep their head cool via his experience.

In case of wise getting suspended, I would probably play Kieron Dyer or Sol Campbell. Not their favourite position, I know, but nevertheless, they are both aible to play the defensive midfield position.
I never really understood why England must play with a defensive hardman. I know you play with wingers, who aren´t able to do much defensive work, but so does Denmark, and their socalled defensive midfielders Allan Nielsen, Stig Tofting and Brian Steen Nielsen are all very dangurous men with the ball at their feet. Maybe the England hardmen are able to do that as well, but they don´t get the freedom to show it?? I think so, cos if you look at a player like Allan Nielsen, he scored fare more frequently on the national side against the likes of Italy, than on the spurs team playing teams like Leicester and Villa.

By the way, I did cut Parlour....

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I agree Amo about your call on Fowler, and it is a battle between Fowler and his fitness! :)

It looks like he is fit, but is he match fit?
It's a hard decision for KK, he'll get crucified whoever he leaves behind. I just look at Cole and see he still hasn't scored at the top Level, and think he's not good enough.

SignoriRules, I disagree about Wise and gerrard, I'd drop Ince, he's too old, past it, and not played great for Boro this season. Gerrard is in the squad on form, and if he can cut it in the big games in the premiership, then he can take that next step up to international level.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
My cuts:

GK: Seaman - I know that this will not happen but I think that he has had a very poor season.

Def: G Neville -awful season and basically Dyer is much much better as is his brother.
Def: Barry - if we play 2 central defenders then Sol and Adams will cover this with Southgate being the replacement and Keown backing up further.

Mid: Wilcox is out due to injury.
Mid: Barmby - too late for him i'm afraid but a lot depends on how he performs during the friendlies.
Mid: Wise - Ince has done it all before and therefore pips Wise. Ince also seems to perform well on the big stage.

Att: Fowler - I think that he needs to start to make an impact and Cole can bring pace. Owen and Shearer will start up front (trust me) so Heskey and Cole will bring the pace off the bench and Phillips......well the goalscoring ability.

Mid:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
gk: wright
hasnt even played in top flight
how can he play against figo, bierhoff, ilie....too inexperienced

df: phil neville and ferdinand
p neville is quite ****, and ferdinand hasnt played all too well so..

md: redknapp and wilcox
redknapp hasnt played nearly all season, so he wouldnt be mentally fit for euro2000
wilcox is injured i think? anyway, he isnt good enuff i think

fw: fowler
why? he has played maybe 10 games the whole season, while cole has scored more than 20 goals
i just dont see the logic

------------------
LOOSE MOOSE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts