Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think the main line up should be this world cup?
I would be most interested to hear who you lot think should be starting?
Here's my Preffered lineup.

.....................................Seaman
Mills............Ferdinand.................Campbell.............Cole
Beckham......Scholes.....................Dyer..................Cole
.......................Owen..................Vassell.........................

Thats what i think...
Mills i have put in there cos i dont see anyone better could play right back out of the squad?
If dyer is injured then i think Murphy should be in there.
I think Joe cole has had an excellent season and totally deserves to be in the team.
Vassell ahead of heskey because i think he has shone at international level sure it might only be 3 games but 2 goals... thats only one less than heskey has in 22 games!

Anyway ill look forward to either hearing your comments or your criticism's!

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I have my suspisions that the first game that England will play may very well have a 4-3-3 formation employed.
Dyer is unlikely to be fit for then and Sweden will be hard to break down...

So the team could very well be;

_________Seaman

Mills/Brown Campbell Ferdinand Cole

_____Beckham Butt Scholes

_____Vassell Owen Heskey

Both Heskey and Vassell would spend a lot of their time wider of Owen and Beckham and Scholes would bo more tucked in than your average central defender.

I would not play this myslef but I would not argue too much against it either...

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow... if Sven tries either Cole or Bridge on the left side of midfield then the 'problem' position could be solved:)

D

·
0 Posts
Seaman

Brown ---------- Ferdinand ---------- Campbell ---------- A Cole

Beckham---------Butt---------Scholes---------Heskey

---------Owen---------Vassell

D

·
0 Posts
OR

GK: David Seaman
RB: Wes Brown
DF: Martin Keown (Arsenal DEFENCE)
DF: Sol Campbell
LB: Ashley Cole
CM: David Beckham
CM: Nicky Butt (MAN UTD MIDFIELD)
CM: Paul Scholes
FW: Darrius Vassell
FW: Michael Owen
FW: Emile Heskey (LIVERPOOL ATTACK)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Where is Mills??? :devil:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The Mills/Brown tussle for the starting spot should be an interesting one... in my opinion I think that Sven likes Brown a lot and has had his eyes on him for a long time (not in the same way as Ulrika)...

For this reason I have a sneeky feeling that he will start ahead of Mills who would not have made the WC if G Neville did not get himself injured.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
martyn
mills rio campbell cole
becks scholes hargreaves dyer/cole
owen fowler

martyn in my opinion is better than seaman.

mills has more experience and is better than brown.

hargreaves is better than butt and is teh only other defending midfielder who is good.

i prefer J Cole to play but i think he plays more in the centre than the left, so him or dyer would be good.

i tink Fowler is in better form than heskey.

vessal???

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Heskey will play... it's fate:)...

Basically I made a bet with my mate that if Emile would start in the first game for England against Sweden then I would have to punch my other mate in the face:eek:... oh drunken bets why do you come back to haunt me:)

In MY team A Cole would be on the left wing and Fowler would start up front... I still would have Seaman though but he is a risk.

For me the divine pony tail has periods when he is rock solid and will not make the slightest wift of a mistake adding to that the spectacular save... he then will come across a period of maybe 5 games where he will make a few... this I don't think will happen in the WC but there is a risk...

But when he is staedy he is one of the best keepers in the world:)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
===========seaman==========
brown==campbell==ferdinand==cole
beckham==scholes==butt==dyer
======owen=====heskey======

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
----------Seaman
---Mills----Rio---Sol---Cole-----
--Becks-Hargreaves-Scholes-
---Vassel---Owen---Heskey---

I think Eriksson will go with the 4-3-3 formation when England is in possesion, but when the opposition is in possesion Heskey will drop back into a 4-4-2 formation. I chose Mills because Brown played crap agaisnt Korea at right back, that position doesn't suit him at all. I think Hargreaves did enough today to earn him a 1st team place ahead of Butt.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I am a genius:)... well nobody else said it:D

Still I think my team above will be the one as Butt sat today out as he was injured.... he will be back though... unfortunately:(

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
ENGLAN TACTICS/TEAM! 4-4-2

1. Seaman (GK)
2. Brown (RB)
3. A. Cole (LB)
4. Ferdinand (CB)
5. Campbell (CB)
6. Scholes (CM)
7. Beckham (RM)
8. Dyer (CM)
9. Fowler (FW)
10. Owen (FW)
11. J. Cole (LM)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
My starting line up against Sweden.

Seaman
mills rio campbell cole
becks scholes hargreaves dyer
owen Vassell

Butt is good defensively but lacks depth, Hargreaves IMO would be better than Butt since he can attack and defend well.

I chose Vassell instead of Heskey since Vassell is capable of scoring, Heskey sadly isn't.

I chose Mills instead of Brown because Brown makes stupid mistakes. Mills is good going forward.

This 4-3-3 formation is total crap, we can't even beat S Korea with it, so how would we even stand a chance against a top side? We won't beat Sweden with it because we will leave too much space for Ljungberg to work with Larrson.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
V Sweden :

-----------------------------Seaman-------------------------------------------

Mills----------------Ferdinand---Campbell--------------------------A. Cole

------------Beckham-----Hargreaves------Scholes-------------------------

-----------Fowler---------Owen-------------Heskey-------------------------

Super subs : J. Cole, Vassell, Sheringham

V Argentina :

-----------------------------Seaman--------------------------------------------

Mills----------------Ferdinand---Campbell-------------------------A. Cole

Beckham--------Hargreaves-Butt-Scholes----------------------Heskey

-------------------------------Owen---------------------------------------------

Super Subs : J. Cole, Vassell, Fowler/Sheringham

England MUST best Sweden to have any chance of qualifying. Then they can try and defend for a draw but play on the counter-attack v Argentina.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I would like Joe Cole to come on. Against Italy he played like a "schoolboy trialist", and tends to run with the ball and do extravagant twinkle-toed dexterous footwork when he should be passing, but wasnt Gazza accused of the same thing? i just hope he turns out to be a great player like i think he is. If Sven gives him a chance he will be Fantastic, i'd be willing to bet my very high-reputation on it :D .

Joe cole to come on at half time V Sweden. !

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Russell said:
My starting line up against Sweden.
This 4-3-3 formation is total crap, we can't even beat S Korea with it, so how would we even stand a chance against a top side? We won't beat Sweden with it because we will leave too much space for Ljungberg to work with Larrson.
So after one WARM UP game you dismiss it?

Come on, Beckham was not even fit!!!

It should not be dismissed because of one result... it may work and leaving Ljunberg too much space? That's what Butt is for!

·
Registered
516 Posts
England were good the first half using the 4-3-3. I think we would've won but we made about 8 changes. How can anyone expect a team to stay focused and play the same way in the 2nd half when its almost completely different. 4-3-3 could work, we'll just have to see against the big teams.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
That's what Butt is for!
Placing Butt on his own in the centre is not a clever idea, we have too many good midfeilders to leave half of them on the bench.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't even know where to start.....

Too many good midfielders...??

We are struggling to have 4 fit for the Sweden game, hence Svens interest in 4-3-3

Heskey will play, no doubt, he is the link between us being able to adapt between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3

Vassell will not, he is there purely as cover for Owen. Expect to seehim come off the bench if the game is sewn up.

Wes Brown does not have a prayer of the right back shirt ahead of Danny Mills, who in turn should not even be at the World Cup if it were not for injuries to Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher.

Seaman will play in the opener even if he has both arms amputated the day before.

So here goes...totally predictable...?

Seaman
Mills
Bridge
Campbell
Ferdinand
Beckham
Hargreaves, (or Butt, if fit)
Scholes
Cole, (Ashley) (Left side of midfield)
Heskey
Owen