• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will England be overconfident after their great victory over the Argies? Or will Nigeria be uninterested and hand their:ass: to the English?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Owen Hargreaves Ruled Out Of Nigeria Game
Nigeria - England | News Archive

Bad news for Hargreaves (Allsport)
06/08/2002. England will be without the services of Owen Hargreaves for their vital final Group F clash against Nigeria after a scan revealed a slight leg injury.

The Bayern Munich star collected the injury in yesterday's victory against Argentina when he collided with team mate Michael Owen, however England are quick to point out that it's not serious.

Boss Sven Goran Eriksson said, "We are not lucky with injuries to our midfielders at present. It always seems to be them and if it carries on we might run out of them. The good news is that Owen had an X-ray on Saturday which showed that nothing has been broken which is something. But I do not know how long he will be out for at this time and I do not think he will be ready to face Nigeria on Wednesday. That is bad luck for him and us."

soccerage

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I'm not sure about this game, will the Nigerians have no fighting spirit? or will they try and beat us for honour?

i predict England win because Nigeria have not won a game in this group and are clearly the weakest team in group F

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yeah, for once I agree with ya Russell :dazed::D
It's ALWAYS hard to predict Nigeria, one day they can kick :ass: next they'll go out and play for themselves.
But in the end, England has a bit more to play for and will be more motivated to win.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i don't think nigeria have any chance to win...at best, they could only get a draw...but IMO, england should win this one with the score of 2-0...

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
I take England also to win this one.... :)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
"Yeah, for once I agree with ya Russell "

oi! cheeky ;)

I dont think we will lose, but im unsure about how the nigerians will approach this game.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Nigerian Assistant Hints At Using Reserves Against England

06/11/2002. Nigeria's assistant coach Fanny Amun has suggested the reserves could be given a run out against England after the first team failed to perform in their defeats against Sweden and Argentina.

Taribo West and Nwankwo Kanu are already confirmed absentees, while Jay Jay Okocha is set to retire from international football after the match with the Three Lions.

Amun said: "I have made my views known. We should use reserves only for this match. The regulars failed to deliver against Argentina and Sweden, so why the hunger to play England?"

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: England V Nigeria

Can captain Beckham guide England through? (Allsport)
06/11/2002. BACKGROUND

The World Cup has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride already for England and their supporters. From the Golden Jubilee weekend high that preceeded the Sweden match, to the disappointment which followed, due to a second half equaliser.

The five days between that game and the Argentina clash were a cross between downright pessimism and hopeful optimism, which ultimately turned into sheer unbridled joy and delight due to that David Beckham penalty just before half time.

Ultimately this now leaves England's World Cup fate very much in their own hands, needing just to avoid defeat against Nigeria to seal a place in the knockout phases and as they have never lost to an African team, the omens at least look good.

Nigeria can consider themselves very unlucky this World Cup. Having been drawn in the toughest group of the entire first phase, they will find themselves on one of the first planes out of Japan on Thursday, despite having lost both games so far by an odd goal.

In truth, they've not played badly against Sweden or Argentina, however the luck hasn't been with them and it's a bit of a shame that we'll see the last of one of Africa's best nations on Wednesday morning.

TEAM NEWS

England are already without the services of Owen Hargreaves, who injured his shin in a collision with team-mate Michael Owen against Argentina. Although scans have shown no serious damage, he will definitely not feature on Wednesday and may be in doubt for any further games in the WC. The fitness of Kieron Dyer remains a concern after his knee knock, and whilst Joe Cole has also been carrying an injury, he'll likely be fit for a place on the bench.

Sven Goran Eriksson is therefore likely to start with the same side that began the second half against Argentina, with the impressive Trevor Sinclair starting his first game of the tournament.

Nigeria's primary problem is over Arsenal striker Nwanko Kanu, whose dismal World Cup continues as he is ruled out of the game with a foot injury.

PROBABLE STARTING XI's

England (4-4-2): Seaman; Mills, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole (A); Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Sinclair; Owen, Heskey
Nigeria (5-3-2): Shorunmu; Yobo, Christopher, Okoronkwo, West, Babayaro; Okocha, Ogbeche, Udeze; Aghahowa, Utaka

FORM GUIDE

England (last six games): LWDDDW: Remarkably, England's much celebrated victory against Argentina was their first victory in four games since beating Paraguay back in April. Since then, they have drawn friendlies against South Korea and Cameroon, as well as the opener in the WC against Sweden, but they will know that avoiding defeat will do against Nigeria.

Nigeria (last six games): WDWWLL: Contrary to England, Nigeria actually showed excellent form in their WC warm up games, with victory away to both Scotland and Ireland as well as a win against Jamaica. A draw against China interrupted the fine run, however as we know, in the Finals themselves, the Nigerians have lost to both Argentina and Sweden, albeit by the odd goal on both occasions.

WHO'S HOT

England: David Beckham. I suggested that he should have been left out of the Argentina game if he was not match fit. How the nation are glad that I am not the boss of the nation side! Although it was not one of his more influential displays, the guts and sheer courage shown by the captain to take, and convert, that penalty, was absolutely immense.

Nigeria: Julius Aghahowa. The lively striker netted against Sweden and showed off his customary somersault celebrations. Having scored in pre-WC games against both Scotland and Ireland, he would love to complete a UK hat-trick (yes, I know that Ireland is not technically part of the UK!)

WHO'S NOT

England: It's nigh on impossible to find an England player who didn't perform to the best of his ability against the Argentine's, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence by picking someone out who doesn't deserve it.

Nigeria: Ike Ibrahim Shorunmu: The keeper's error led to the penalty against Sweden which ultimately sent Nigeria to defeat - and home to Africa. He'll be looking for a decent display against England to regain some pride.

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

The nations have met just once before, in November 1994 at Wembley, when England came out on top by 1-0.

soccerage

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Amun said: "I have made my views known. We should use reserves only for this match. The regulars failed to deliver against Argentina and Sweden, so why the hunger to play England?"
very true, but then there sure to lose the game.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Carson35 said:

PROBABLE STARTING XI's

England (4-4-2): Seaman; Mills, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole (A); Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Sinclair; Owen, Heskey
Nigeria (5-3-2): Shorunmu; Yobo, Christopher, Okoronkwo, West, Babayaro; Okocha, Ogbeche, Udeze; Aghahowa, Utaka

Not that it is really important but if this will be the Nigerian starting XI it's not a 5-3-2! With these players it'll be more like:

Shorunmu
Yobo,Okoronkwo,West,Udeze
Christopher
Okocha,Babayaro
Aghahowa,Ogbeche,Utaka

Because the thing is that Aghahowa,Ogbeche and Utaka are all true strikers

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Nigeria has a long history of football, I don't know about the result, but they had the spirit, did you see the game against Argentina?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Yeah, in the match against Argentina, the NIgerians were simply outclassed.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
The Afrikans probably by now packed their bags
and left some space in them for some last minute
high tech Japaneese electronic stuff, so they will not
be motivated for this one,
England 2
Nigeria 0

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Dont you just hate these "protocol" games ???
England could lose men to injuries or bookings, and Nigeria couldnt care less ...
Whoever paid $$$ to be at the stadium for this one., is getting the shaft..BIG TIME !!! ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wouldn't a draw secure a match against Denmark?

Then I am hoping for a draw - Denmark would be better off meeting England than Argentina/Sweden.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Alter Ego said:
The Afrikans probably by now packed their bags
and left some space in them for some last minute
high tech Japaneese electronic stuff, so they will not
be motivated for this one,
England 2
Nigeria 0

What's that suppose to mean? :mad:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: England V Nigeria

Can captain Beckham guide England through? (Allsport)
06/11/2002. BACKGROUND

The World Cup has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride already for England and their supporters. From the Golden Jubilee weekend high that preceeded the Sweden match, to the disappointment which followed, due to a second half equaliser.

The five days between that game and the Argentina clash were a cross between downright pessimism and hopeful optimism, which ultimately turned into sheer unbridled joy and delight due to that David Beckham penalty just before half time.

Ultimately this now leaves England's World Cup fate very much in their own hands, needing just to avoid defeat against Nigeria to seal a place in the knockout phases and as they have never lost to an African team, the omens at least look good.

Nigeria can consider themselves very unlucky this World Cup. Having been drawn in the toughest group of the entire first phase, they will find themselves on one of the first planes out of Japan on Thursday, despite having lost both games so far by an odd goal.

In truth, they've not played badly against Sweden or Argentina, however the luck hasn't been with them and it's a bit of a shame that we'll see the last of one of Africa's best nations on Wednesday morning.

TEAM NEWS

England are already without the services of Owen Hargreaves, who injured his shin in a collision with team-mate Michael Owen against Argentina. Although scans have shown no serious damage, he will definitely not feature on Wednesday and may be in doubt for any further games in the WC. The fitness of Kieron Dyer remains a concern after his knee knock, and whilst Joe Cole has also been carrying an injury, he'll likely be fit for a place on the bench.

Sven Goran Eriksson is therefore likely to start with the same side that began the second half against Argentina, with the impressive Trevor Sinclair starting his first game of the tournament.

Nigeria's primary problem is over Arsenal striker Nwanko Kanu, whose dismal World Cup continues as he is ruled out of the game with a foot injury.

PROBABLE STARTING XI's

FORM GUIDE

England (last six games): LWDDDW: Remarkably, England's much celebrated victory against Argentina was their first victory in four games since beating Paraguay back in April. Since then, they have drawn friendlies against South Korea and Cameroon, as well as the opener in the WC against Sweden, but they will know that avoiding defeat will do against Nigeria.

Nigeria (last six games): WDWWLL: Contrary to England, Nigeria actually showed excellent form in their WC warm up games, with victory away to both Scotland and Ireland as well as a win against Jamaica. A draw against China interrupted the fine run, however as we know, in the Finals themselves, the Nigerians have lost to both Argentina and Sweden, albeit by the odd goal on both occasions.

WHO'S HOT

England: David Beckham. I suggested that he should have been left out of the Argentina game if he was not match fit. How the nation are glad that I am not the boss of the nation side! Although it was not one of his more influential displays, the guts and sheer courage shown by the captain to take, and convert, that penalty, was absolutely immense.

Nigeria: Julius Aghahowa. The lively striker netted against Sweden and showed off his customary somersault celebrations. Having scored in pre-WC games against both Scotland and Ireland, he would love to complete a UK hat-trick (yes, I know that Ireland is not technically part of the UK!)

WHO'S NOT

England: It's nigh on impossible to find an England player who didn't perform to the best of his ability against the Argentine's, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence by picking someone out who doesn't deserve it.

Nigeria: Ike Ibrahim Shorunmu: The keeper's error led to the penalty against Sweden which ultimately sent Nigeria to defeat - and home to Africa. He'll be looking for a decent display against England to regain some pride.

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

The nations have met just once before, in November 1994 at Wembley, when England came out on top by 1-0.

soccerage

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
I just realized how that game was played, very welll by both sides, but now Nigeria is not as good as they used to be, ADMIT IT!!! ... they're far from what people expected, England has much bigger chance to win this, especiallt there is a chance they might not go through if they're losing ....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts