Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
time to settle Fred ? we've only got 1 match and 12 days for this brand new system with no DM which Sven decided to try for the 1st time tonight to settle. :rolleyes:
I'm eternally optimistic, you miserable old bugger;) who's to say a kick around by the hotel pool, and a few sessions of footy tennis on the hotel courts won't see them gell in time....

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
No we aren't, the English midfield was unsure how to act as a unit. Only Lampard and Gerrard looked capable of doing what was asked. Beckham was perhaps half a yard off everything, he is not with it at present, he seems to have lost focus on the task in hand. Looked like he was somewhere else.

Scholes was running around but for no real end product.

What I will say about Japan is that the more room we gave them the more they enjoyed it. The more one touch passing we did the more running and chasing they had to do, and after 5 or 6 passes they usually gave up.

Dyer looked a better bet than Scholes in that head of the diamond position.

But playing Rooney and Owen upfront together meant that we did not need to have wide players as there would be absolutely no point in putting crosses over. Playing on the deck through the middle, and to feet. I'd like to see a propper 4-4-2 with Owen and Defoe up front. Lampard and Gerrard in the centre with Dyer wide left and Beckham wide right.

Fat chance!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First half I found myself thinking "we could win the Euro championships!", 2nd half, I changed my mind.

The excuse on the radio from Sven was that they had trained hard all day and so where knackered for the 2nd half!!:rolleyes:

Lets hope they all find their match fitness within 2 weeks.

Is there hope?????

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The first 25-30 mins were very good, the passing and movement was excellent. Gerrard and Lampard were changing positions and seemed to understand one another. The way we were playing we would have outplayed anyone. The diamond attacked and defended as a Unit but as soon as we scored, it all fell to pieces, i can't quite explain why. No one was really interested in defending apart from Lampard but he's not naturally a Defensive midfielder. It all seemed very lazy, no one wanted to play, it was as if the job had been done.

I wouldn't blame the players for that game, it was the formaton. We looked good on the ball but lousy off it - Real madrid syndrome ;) . If Butt had played it would have been different. The question now is, does Sven continue with the diamond after seeing his "best XI" outplayed by Japan? or do we get back to tradition and play an unbalanced 4-4-2 with no left sided player?

If we can play like we did in in the first 30mins against France we stand a very good chance of winning, if we play like we did in the second half.....we have no chance.

Beckhams form is horrendous, that is the worst i have ever seen him play, he could not do anything right.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Beckham has got to get it into his head he is a right sided player for England, the only player to give it to right was Neville, we were so narrow it is ridiculous even in the first 25 mins.

i disagree i think France would have murdered us in the first 25 mins, we were not great at all, the Japanese just were a bit scared for some reason, as soon as they realised we were not all that was when the game became a true balance, the Japanese were a much better team than us, that we ran more early on shouldn't hide that fact. :rolleyes:

that passed and moved like a proper team, our play had no pattern and was just all off the cuff, our attacks were completely disorganised, even in the first 30 mins.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Even during the first 30mins our play into the final third was a little poor, didn't we have just under 70% possession and only a handful of chances? I thought we played some good stuff, granted the Japs stood off us but we were always 3 passes ahead of them, so they really did not have much of chance against us during that spell.

Did anyone hear Beckhams interview after the match? from what i could understand i think he tried to say he was still adjusting to the right wing role and prefers to play in the centre - Sven needs to tell him he's got no chance.

Would anyone be willing to bet Sven could play

Dyer-----Scholes-----Gerrard---Beckham against France?

or Scholes-----Lampard---Gerrard---Beckham?

The diamond seems to be wasting alot of our players, especially Beckham and Gerrard.

·
63,337 Posts
i hate to say it but i think Butt is a must for England against France, i just don't think any of our other midfielders canbe trusted to hold their position. :rolleyes:

Scott Parker being on holiday is a crime against English football that Sven should be imprisoned for, he would have been perfect to do that job. :depress:

M

·
0 Posts
Yes, Ashley played well last night.. :proud: :star: People are worrying too much about this game...

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Its only a friendly:D :D :D

Keep telling yourself that!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I've been telling you Jern, Butt has a very important part to play for us this tournament, if we are to play the diamond and play it well we need someone like Butt who is disciplined and defensively minded enough to play that role. It's critical to have that protection for your back four. Lampard is fantastic going forward but what was Sven thinking? wasting him like that.......

M

·
0 Posts
I don't mind Nicky Butt, he is pretty under-rated in my opinion and that's coming from a fan who usually hates all things Manure... :D

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I can't understand why Frank Lampard was played as a DM. If we are going to play the diamond why not put Butt or Hargreaves in the DM role and move Lampard to the head of the diamond. As said earlier we also lacked width, Beckham was definately not at his best.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
All good points. But I wonder if Sven alters it slightly for the Iceland game or completely changes it, you never know with these International games.

I would hope he tinkers with the midfield and plays the full team.

·
63,337 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
I would hope he tinkers with the midfield and plays the full team.
that was the full team that will start against France yesterday :eek: :dazed: :eek: :fero: :depress: :(

of course he will probably change his mind now they played like garbage and Frank played with the defensive nous of a lion chasing a gazelle. :rolleyes:

but that was his best team as from yesterday, clueless bastard isn't he ?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Personally i'd play Wayne Bridge on the left... him and A.Cole have been outstanding this season, argubly their best seaons yet. Not only can they fill in for one another, but they can double up defensively. If not i'd play J. COle he had a good end of season playing the LMF role.

I'd without question play Gerrard in the middle, he's Englands best (and imo top 3 in the world) player. I'd possibly give the other spot to Butt. He's agood player but he aint played much, we may need him. On the right I wouldn;t play Beckham but he'll play anyway so...

Owen upfront with either Lampard or Scholes, you pick.

Thankfully I think our defense don't look bad at all.... just needs some support from the wide areas to block and from the DMF.

·
International
9,526 Posts
what tends to happen is, before a massive tournament like this, we play a few friendlies, look complete cack and the tabloids get on the team's back. Then, the team bonds, and we start the first few games with a roar, with everyone united in the face of the harsh criticism of the papers. Then, unfortunately, the tabloids change tack, predict a glorious triumph, and it all falls over.

Call me cynical, but I often wonder if its becoming part of the team's culture to begin the buildup to a competition with a few performances like this to get the lads focused in the face of the often stinging and insulting reporting from the daily's.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts