Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4 players from the Under 17 League winners are playing with the England team in the Eruopean Under 17 Championships.

David Raven, Steven Vaughan, Mark Smyth, and David Mannix are included in the squad.

Mark Smyth scored in the 1st match of the tournament against Finland and he had big part in the 2nd England goal. :) Raven started in that match too, and Mannix came in as a sub. They played Holland today, and they won 2-0 :cool:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Looks like we've got a bright future ahead by the looks of our youth system.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
One thing worried me about our youth system. Since GH took over, he brought in some French players and will continue to do so because he is not English and England is not his mother country, same as Arsene Wenger. This will help France to develop their young players but how about Liverpool own developed English, Scottish and Irish young players?

Mellor showed us he is about to become a second Owen and Fowler but will he get his chance to show himself in the top flight football? There are Owen, Heskey, Litmanen, Baros, Sjolund and if Liverpool buy Cisse and Anelka. Man! That's heaps of strikers for Liverpool!

He said British players will be the core of Liverpool squad but now Fowler, Redknapp were gone. What's next for Liverpool?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
thats the thing but with todays football.

These days if u take a chance with a young kid, for example a striker, and you play him in 2 games and he doesnt score, then you could be cost 6 points, and that could mean you miss out on the premiership title.

Unfortunately I beleive the times where a club is looking to win a title and still bring through quality kids for the future is over.

Look at that boom period for united from around 95 when Giggs, Sharpe, Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes, Butt etc all came through and are now first teamers. At that time united were building a squad, and therefore needed these players. Now, There may well be a kid that is as good as Scholes was when he first started, yet he will not get his oppurtunity anymore.

Thats why then end up going to clubs like derby, Leicester, Sunderland etc.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
People care about result and I think that's the pressure that put on the manager too.

Take GH for example. When Fowler left, he could promote Sjolund or Mellor to be the subs, at least giving them the chance to experience first team football but he went to buy Baros and loaned Anelka from PSG.
I know he has targeted Baros for quite a while and he is a promising young star but I also remember he rated Sjolund so high and now he ended up playing at the reserve level?

Why do we need so many promising young stars when they are not promoted and be given a chance to play?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts